Roof graft from dentside truck?

Moderator: FORDification

Beef Stew

Roof graft from dentside truck?

Post by Beef Stew »

My bump has rusted roof gutters and it's starting to get pretty bad. I either need to find a rust free cab which is getting hard to do any more or come up with some other solution. My truck is more a hot rod than stocker so I honestly don't mind shaving off the drip rail to repair the rust area.

What I'm wondering is if anyone has closely compared the bump and dent roofs (mostly at the front above the windshield) to see if they're remotely close. I'd already be going in and gutting the drip rail off so a little cutting and trimming to get some replacement sheet metal to fit wouldn't be a big deal. Anyone try this yet?
Ranchero50

Re: Roof graft from dentside truck?

Post by Ranchero50 »

Totally different animals. Dent is longer by a couple inches for larger door openings. Way too many compound curves to even think about grafting one to the other.

Why not make it a vert or roadster?
'70 F-350 CS Cummins 6BT 10klb truck 64k mile Bahama Blue

Contact me for CNC Dome Lamp Bezels and Ash Tray pulls.
Beef Stew

Post by Beef Stew »

I guess I meant as a replacement for the area immediately above the windshield. Basically the gutter area. Just the area that gets rusted out, not the whole thing. Cutting and leaving the roof off is not an option.
Ranchero50

Post by Ranchero50 »

Yeah, shouldn't be horrible to use it for patches as long as the pinch weld contours are the same. I'm in the same boat. Only part of the cab that I didn't bother with is poking through the paint.

The roof rusts from the inside out. Gets wet inside and condensation pulls it to the roof...
'70 F-350 CS Cummins 6BT 10klb truck 64k mile Bahama Blue

Contact me for CNC Dome Lamp Bezels and Ash Tray pulls.
daveford72

Post by daveford72 »

got any pics of the rusted area?