72 ford f100 - Bed 1/2" too high on passenger side

Moderator: FORDification

Dean0

72 ford f100 - Bed 1/2" too high on passenger side

Post by Dean0 »

Hey All

I've seen a lot on this topic but nothing that quite fits my issue.

I've got a 72 f100 shortbed. The drivers side body molding lines right up with the bed molding horizontally. Looks perfect.

On the passenger side the bed molding is about 1/2 higher. So you know the whole bed seems to have been pushed up about 1/2 inch on the passenger side somehow.

I'm running the aux camper tank alone. I Don't use the tank in the cab at all. It's bone dry and will stay that way. But since the drivers side looks fine, I can't think it has anything to do with the weight of the camper tank, I would think then the drivers side bed would be sagging.

I;ve looked under the bed at the mounts. There is a washer up near the cab between the bed and the frame on the passenger side that isn't on the drivers side, but even if I pull this washer, it's only about 1/8 thick, so that's not going to do much to bring the passenger side of the bed down into alignment.

I've posted some pics to show the issue. I am almost thinking that the cab is sagging on the passenger side rather than the bed being pushed up on the passenger side.

Any ideas how to figure out and fix this?

Really appreciate any info anyone can give me on this.

Thanks

Dean
driver_side.jpg

pass_side.jpg
back_bed.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
DuckRyder

Re: 72 ford f100 - Bed 1/2" too high on passenger side

Post by DuckRyder »

Time to crawl under and take a look at the rear cab cross member...

Hopefully its the cab mount bushing rotted away and not the crosmember rotted away...

Are you in a rust prone area...?

BTW that looks like a RangerXLT moulding...
Robert
1972 F100 Ranger XLT (445/C6/9” 3.50 Truetrac)

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -- Jeff Cooper
Dean0

Post by Dean0 »

Thanks Robert

Appreciate the input.

It's been in PHX it's whole life, so no serious rust issues.

Yeah it's the Ranger XLT.
DuckRyder

Post by DuckRyder »

Cool, shoot on over to the welcome mat and show us some pictures of the whole truck :D

I would say that the rear cab mount is deteriorated possibly to the point of being missing.

See this diagram:

Note that the replacement kits are troublesome, if you can save your factory hardware and only use the rubber you'll be ahead of the game.
Robert
1972 F100 Ranger XLT (445/C6/9” 3.50 Truetrac)

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -- Jeff Cooper
TNIceWolf
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by TNIceWolf »

What I see when I look at the pics is a seriously straight bed if you line it up against the lines of the roof of the garage.It looks much more like a misaligned cab to me. That or the pic is producing some type of odd visual effect.
Find 'em....Buy 'em....Fix 'em.....Drive 'em....Love 'em

HHC 4/67AR.... Bandits.....88-92

Presently in the stable
1969 Ford F-350 DRW
1989 Chevy S-10 Tahoe ( It gets me to work and back and fetches parts and groceries)
1981 Buick Regal ( My deceased uncles last project/driver....renamed project Regal Eagle to be finished in his honor)
1990 Ford F-150 ( Miss Yvonnes Daily Driver )
My F-350 project http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=41744