Good Rustproofing Methods?

Moderator: FORDification

Subzero
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Good Rustproofing Methods?

Post by Subzero »

I'm trying to do some research on rust proofing as I have just bought a 96' Jeep XJ to go as my new daily driver while I restore my bump. Got the XJ for a steal and couldn't wait to replaced the ragged VW I've been driving. Rust is not really there currently just want to make sure it never gets there either. My 72 F100 is under coated from a long time ago and is in amazing condition rust wise so I'm all for it on unrusted metal. Of course if the metal already has lots of rust it does nothing but make things worse. What kind of products are out there to prevent rust on old cars, especially ones not always driven in the best weather conditions or off road?
1972 F100 Sport Custom-2WD, Aqua Blue and Wimbleton White, LWB, 302 V8 and C4 trans, P/S, P/B - under construction

Gone but not forgotten: 1968 F100 Ranger- 2WD, LWB, original rebuilt 360 V8, Autolite 2bbl carb, C6 Trans, Hedman Headers, Powermaster Racing Starter, H-Pipe and Glasspacks, P/S, P/B, A/C
Ohiotinkerer
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Re: Good Rustproofing Methods?

Post by Ohiotinkerer »

Might sound dumb to some people but when I was a kid on the farm we always used used motor oil and put it on with a garden sprayer. Sprayed inside all the doors, fenders and rockers and then did everywhere there was anything connected to the floors - body mounts, braces.......anywhere that salt can get between. We had a 1974 Buick Riviera that I took my driving test in in 1981 and I saw it 3 years go and it still wasn't rusted out. Grandpa did it every couple years and then drove it down a dusty gravel road to really make it stick. Still do it to my winter cars to this day.
"Life is a garden - dig it"........... :thup:

1968 F100 2wd - Rangoon Red - 360 w/T18 - power steering and brakes
1997 Honda CBR 900RR
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by sargentrs »

I used Eastwood's Rust Encapsulator on mine. http://www.eastwood.com/rust-encapsulat ... ent_id=860 Just wire brush the loose stuff off and spray or brush it on. Should be top coated afterwards. I did blast my frame and suspension parts down to bare metal first. If you have rust bubbling under paint, you should get rid of the paint and get down to the rusted metal.
Randy
1970 F100 Sport Custom Limited LWB, 302cid, 3 on the tree. NO A/C, NO P/S, NO P/B. Currently in 1000 pcs while rebuilding. Project thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=59995 Plan: 351w, C4, LSD, pwr front disc, p/s, a/c, bucket seats, new interior and paint.
1987 F-150 XLT Lariat, 5.0/C6 auto.
Subzero
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Subzero »

I've got some "Eastwood Rubberized Rust Encapsulator Undercoating" laying around. I used it on some trial pieces of metal and it wasn't terrible but not very thick and seemed like it might not be the best on my application. I've heard of the motor oil trick on them but unlike my 2wd F100 this jeep might take a trip on the beach on day and I'm worried it'll just hold the dirt and mud to the bottom( of course I clean every nook on it afterwards). Funny thing is on my 68' F100 I owned wherever the oil had leaked on the frame was spotless- everywhere else had surface rust :lol: . Frames are easy to paint but would painting a Unibody jeep like that easily with Encapsulator?
1972 F100 Sport Custom-2WD, Aqua Blue and Wimbleton White, LWB, 302 V8 and C4 trans, P/S, P/B - under construction

Gone but not forgotten: 1968 F100 Ranger- 2WD, LWB, original rebuilt 360 V8, Autolite 2bbl carb, C6 Trans, Hedman Headers, Powermaster Racing Starter, H-Pipe and Glasspacks, P/S, P/B, A/C
cep62
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by cep62 »

X2 on the used oil, My Dad always used ATF, it's thinner and doesn't smell as bad .
It's messy but effective.
Transtar has some good products. Thinner sealant will creep in and protect better.
Thick stuff may be more abrasion resistant,but could trap moisture and make rust worse.
Subzero
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Subzero »

Very good point on that, I've been trying to find oil based products to spay on. I'd rather get something that's more of a once and done then a yearly application

hazelnut
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by hazelnut »

Ohiotinkerer wrote:Might sound dumb to some people but when I was a kid on the farm we always used used motor oil and put it on with a garden sprayer. Sprayed inside all the doors, fenders and rockers and then did everywhere there was anything connected to the floors - body mounts, braces.......anywhere that salt can get between. We had a 1974 Buick Riviera that I took my driving test in in 1981 and I saw it 3 years go and it still wasn't rusted out. Grandpa did it every couple years and then drove it down a dusty gravel road to really make it stick. Still do it to my winter cars to this day.
I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one who dose this :D I have a dump truck that I plow snow off the interstate in the winter and that has been the best I have found for stopping the effects of salt used on the highway.
I just power wash everything off in the spring and don't have to be worried about everything rusting and seizing up from the rust.
hazelnut
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by hazelnut »

Subzero if your not to worried about looks you can go to York Bolt and buy some galvanized in a can and spray that on the bottom of your jeep. About $10 a can

After I finished the cab on my highboy I sprayed bedliner on the underside of it. I don't know how well it will do as the truck has not been on the road in 10 years.
HIO Silver
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by HIO Silver »

70 F100 LB 2WD, 360FE, E-Street EFI, TKO-500, 76K original miles.. follow my rebuild: The Lo-Buck Bumpside
71 F250 LB, 2WD, 360FE, T18, PS, PB, D60 with 4.11s
73 F100 SB 4WD, 390FE, NP435, +4 on 35s

01 Ferrari 360 Spider F1
01 F150 SuperCrew Lariat 4WD
01 PT Cruiser Limited (DD)
68 Mustang
65 Mustang
Ranchero50

Post by Ranchero50 »

I've seen a couple that were used motor oiled and they looked OK. They did have dark run marks wherever it would 'drain' and would drip on a hot day. Kind of something I'd do to an older equipment trailer but I wouldn't do it to something I wanted to look nice. A clear hydraulic oil would probably do a good job without streaking but some of that stuff eats paint and rubber.
'70 F-350 CS Cummins 6BT 10klb truck 64k mile Bahama Blue

Contact me for CNC Dome Lamp Bezels and Ash Tray pulls.
Ohiotinkerer
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by Ohiotinkerer »

[quote="Ranchero50"]I've seen a couple that were used motor oiled and they looked OK. They did have dark run marks wherever it would 'drain' and would drip on a hot day.

You are correct on that - I have always had to keep it wiped down for a little while after I first do it to keep it from staining the paint. If you do that until the excess is gone it works great!
"Life is a garden - dig it"........... :thup:

1968 F100 2wd - Rangoon Red - 360 w/T18 - power steering and brakes
1997 Honda CBR 900RR
Subzero
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Subzero »

image.jpeg
This is the worst I've found- it's behind the rear wheels on the underside of the trunk area
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Subzero
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Subzero »

image.jpeg
And of course the beast itself we're dealing with :D

I've heard of fluid film, seems to be similar to on oil application on the underside and I'm liking what I hear. Old school oil undercoating might be my best bet. POR15 might be good for the rough spots I pictured that have already been exposed and I have 2 quarts of it from my F100. Only thing I'm worried about is I will probably take this to the beach and I don't want sand/salt to get in the oil underneath, for the most part I'm going to try and avoid taking it to the beach but sometimes you have to have a little fun.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by sargentrs »

Nice Jeep! I'm thinking a combination of all 3 methods. In your 1st photo, that area needs a little more attention. Definitely at a minimum, wire brush or media blast. That I would clean up and spray with POR-15 and then maybe a rattle can top coat. The 2nd photo is not as bad but I would still do it the same way, especially in that corner where it looks like the rust is a little flaky. In your 3rd photo, those areas are in good shape but should be addressed to keep it that way. I'd say to pressure wash the whole undercarriage, clean up the worst areas with a wire brush or media blast and spray POR-15. Then spray it all with rattle can undercoating. As a final safeguard, spray the oil film or whatever, especially in the areas like frame rails, wheel wells, rockers, etc.
Randy
1970 F100 Sport Custom Limited LWB, 302cid, 3 on the tree. NO A/C, NO P/S, NO P/B. Currently in 1000 pcs while rebuilding. Project thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=59995 Plan: 351w, C4, LSD, pwr front disc, p/s, a/c, bucket seats, new interior and paint.
1987 F-150 XLT Lariat, 5.0/C6 auto.
Subzero
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Subzero »

I think I'll do just as you said pretty much. I don't have a blaster at home so I'll have to use a wire wheel on the bad spots. POR15 over those areas(just bought a gallon of Prep and Ready). I've found if you apply the prep and ready a couple times the rust is pretty much dissolved completely. Then I can coat with POR15 on those common rear floor areas. As for the rest- I think fluid film makes a wand sprayer I can use and tackle the entire underside. Hopefully I can save this jeep with all that work :lol:
Thanks for the replies and for the tips, if I get everything done in a timely manner I'll sure post the results