To Purchase or not

Moderator: FORDification

rbmead

To Purchase or not

Post by rbmead »

Hello,
I found a 1972 Ford F100 Custom 4x4 short wheel base, inline 6, strait shift. The rust..the rust i mention isn't surface rust. it is holes. Passenger side inner fender. big hole where the battery sits. the hood has rust in the inner lip part where it closes. the bed floor of course. but what scares me is the inner rocker panel in the door opening,in the bend. under the dash side. and the drip rails have small holes. the guy wants $2600. with the amount of rust is it worth saving? I have been looking for a SWB 4x4 for SO long. but i don't want to get something that is not worth fixing. trying to keep my emotions out of this.
Thanks for your opinions.
1972 Ford F100 SWB 4x4
Ranchero50

Re: To Purchase or not

Post by Ranchero50 »

Short box 4x4's are long gone in my area. That truck would sell at that price for it's frame and running gear. If the bed sides are decent that's a huge plus. Excessive drip rail rust typically kills cabs. Mine has some on the front corners and I need to deal with it but it means taking the cab completely apart to fix it.

Without knowing your location it's impossible to guess if it's worth buying. If you could find a decent straight V8 2wd donor for under $1500 it's well worth doing.
'70 F-350 CS Cummins 6BT 10klb truck 64k mile Bahama Blue

Contact me for CNC Dome Lamp Bezels and Ash Tray pulls.
rbmead

Post by rbmead »

Thanks for the reply.
updated my location.
I'm just a little on the fence about it. I was thinking the inner door rockers. so your saying that the drip rails are more what i should be worried about?
1972 Ford F100 SWB 4x4
Ranchero50

Post by Ranchero50 »

Drip rails rust from the inside due to moisture condensing inside the roof, which is a sign the truck had moisture problems for a while. Typically when the drip rails get really bad, the rest of the pinch seams are close behind. Mine has a couple pencil sized spots that are rusting through from the inside. They've come through the paint the past two years.

A real killer is rust in the cowl or the firewall pinch weld to the floor. Is the cowl rusting through above the fender on the outside? If so dig deeper. Cab mounts and floors are pretty simple to replace. The A pillar is a PITA to layer up and fit small patch panels.

Post up some pics if you get a chance. Photobucket works pretty well for forums. Might simplify a lot of questions.
'70 F-350 CS Cummins 6BT 10klb truck 64k mile Bahama Blue

Contact me for CNC Dome Lamp Bezels and Ash Tray pulls.
rbmead

Post by rbmead »

here are a few pictures. I dont remember seeing any rust in the cowl area. with the rust everywhere else, i would expect it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1972 Ford F100 SWB 4x4
rbmead

Post by rbmead »

last one
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1972 Ford F100 SWB 4x4
Lone Ranger
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Lone Ranger »

I think all these trucks are worth saving! I got inner fenders that were galvanized for my truck and they bolted right up no issue, and they should never rust. My hood had rust in the same spot yours does and I ran with it till I could find a new hood. Mine also has holes in the door frame but I'm gonna weld them up once the snow falls. I've never seen a SWB here in michigan so they are getting harder to find. Maybe you can talk the price down a bit
1972 f100 4x4 4 inch lift with dump box kit-sold
1969 f250 4x4 highboy in progress.
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=85251
Kyle
Lone Ranger
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Lone Ranger »

It looks like he's got a bunch of those trucks there so maybe you can rob parts off them or even a cab swap
1972 f100 4x4 4 inch lift with dump box kit-sold
1969 f250 4x4 highboy in progress.
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=85251
Kyle
Wilfred of Ivanhoe

Post by Wilfred of Ivanhoe »

It's not my money I'm talking about, so saying I would buy it is probably not the most helpful. I would consider that a more special truck from our bumps, both because it's a short box and for the 4x4. I say it is worth the $$$ despite the rust. People who buy our trucks know that there will almost always be at least some rust. I honestly believe that you would have no trouble selling it if you ever need the $$$ back. I have had several offers on my trucks, and they are not even for sale, advertised, or even around high traffic areas. Just my :2cents: .
1953 F100 (Waitint for attention)
1969 F100 LWB w/ 72 grille (Daily driver & work truck)
1969 F100 LWB Parts truck
1971 F100 SSWB 4x4 (Current Project)
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport (Actually the wife's)
rbmead

Post by rbmead »

Thanks to everyone's responses.
I took the leap and bought the truck.
Happy with my purchase!
1972 Ford F100 SWB 4x4
Subzero
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Subzero »

Congrats on the recent purchase :D looks like a pretty good truck for $2600. In my area you never find 4wds at all and most 2wds have moderate rust even then.
1972 F100 Sport Custom-2WD, Aqua Blue and Wimbleton White, LWB, 302 V8 and C4 trans, P/S, P/B - under construction

Gone but not forgotten: 1968 F100 Ranger- 2WD, LWB, original rebuilt 360 V8, Autolite 2bbl carb, C6 Trans, Hedman Headers, Powermaster Racing Starter, H-Pipe and Glasspacks, P/S, P/B, A/C
rbmead

Post by rbmead »

Got him down to $2400
Rebuilding the front drum brakes this weekend.
1972 Ford F100 SWB 4x4
SeapineF37

Post by SeapineF37 »

yeah congrats! can't go wrong at that price
1972 F350 seapine green cab/chassis drw
only one who has learned much can fully appreciate his own ignorance. louis l'amour
tsherry
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by tsherry »

Good for you.
too many Fords, no where near 'nuff time.

or, money.
jzjames
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by jzjames »

A nice truck to restore and sink some money into. You could even source a newer better cab!