67-72 Bumper Width

Moderator: FORDification

Pyrotechnic

67-72 Bumper Width

Post by Pyrotechnic »

Hi all,

I am looking at using 67-72 F100 front and rear bumpers on a non Ford project since they are clean in design and well proportioned, but the big deciding factor will be how close the width is. Being that's it's rare to see these trucks parked outside and they are rare to see in the junkyards, it's going to be tough to get my tape measure near one of these trucks.

If anyone could measure their front and rear bumpers for me I would really appreciate it. I am looking for the end to end measurement of the bumper at it's widest point. The rear bumper I am looking at would be the "sport", non-step type that matches the style of the front bumper. Thanks.
HIO Silver
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: 67-72 Bumper Width

Post by HIO Silver »

A rear contour (aka "sport") bumper is 75.5 inches wide at its widest point.

70 F100 LB 2WD, 360FE, E-Street EFI, TKO-500, 76K original miles.. follow my rebuild: The Lo-Buck Bumpside
71 F250 LB, 2WD, 360FE, T18, PS, PB, D60 with 4.11s
73 F100 SB 4WD, 390FE, NP435, +4 on 35s

01 Ferrari 360 Spider F1
01 F150 SuperCrew Lariat 4WD
01 PT Cruiser Limited (DD)
68 Mustang
65 Mustang
Pyrotechnic

Post by Pyrotechnic »

HIO Silver wrote:A rear contour (aka "sport") bumper is 75.5 inches wide at its widest point.

Thanks for taking the time to check that. That is actually pretty close to what I need so this idea may work after all.

Does anyone have the measurement for the front bumper?
Lone Ranger
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Lone Ranger »

I measured my front bumper and it looks like 80 inches at the widest point where it wraps back around. Like if you lay the bumper on it's face and measure tip to tip. I find it hard to believe that my front bumper is 5 inches wider than HIO's rear bumper tho.
1972 f100 4x4 4 inch lift with dump box kit-sold
1969 f250 4x4 highboy in progress.
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=85251
Kyle
Pyrotechnic

Post by Pyrotechnic »

Lone Ranger wrote:I measured my front bumper and it looks like 80 inches at the widest point where it wraps back around. Like if you lay the bumper on it's face and measure tip to tip. I find it hard to believe that my front bumper is 5 inches wider than HIO's rear bumper tho.
Thank for checking!

I'll come clean, my truck is a 77 GMC. Measuring the stock bumpers, the front is a good 4-5 inches wider than the back. Seems odd, but I checked the tape measure several times and that's the way it is. I'm trying to get rid of the bulky 5 MPH crash bumpers that plagued GM vehicles in the 70's. It looks like the Ford bumpers are pretty close in width and this may work.

I know Ford used this style of bumper in years before and after the 67-72 model trucks, and I also see a very similar looking bumper on 75-91 Econoline vans. The bumper seem to have different mounting hole patterns, but the overall shape looks very much the same. Does anyone know if the van bumpers are actually identical to the trucks, as in they were made from the same tooling and are identical other than the mounting holes? I ask because the 80's vans still turn up regularly at the junkyard and I may be able to get my hands on one cheap to at least do a test fit.
48prerunner
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by 48prerunner »

The rear van bumper is nice as no licence plate indent. The newer van bumpers even have separate mounting brackets. I was going to use a van bumper can't remember why I gave the idea up, but somebody on here did use the rear bumper with some modification.
Zorm
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Zorm »

"75-91 Econoline vans. The bumper seem to have different mounting hole patterns, but the overall shape looks very much the same."

Thinking of doing the same thing, Van rear bumper on both front and back. Smooth, no bumper bolts showing, look to be the same width, no license plate indent if used on the front, just need to figure out the rear license plate.
1971 F250 Camper Special, family owned since 1972
1983 Cherokee, last of the big ones, bought in Italy, family owned since 1998
1965 Corvair Corsa Convertible, 140 engine, 4 speed.

HE guides my path, forgives me when I stray and lights my life