Painting a graphic on my f100

Moderator: FORDification

squearl

Painting a graphic on my f100

Post by squearl »

I was wondering if anyone knows what kind of paint these people use to paint a graphics on cars and trucks? My brother is a master with an airbrush, but has only painted on canvas. I am painting the truck with a basecoat/clearcoat system, and I'd like him to airbrush some small lettering. We would basically need about a cup full( at the very most) of a couple shades of gray paint for the graphics. I figured there must be someone who sells a small kit of several basic colors, but my surfing has found nothing. I'm afraid to go to local autopaint store and have him try to sell me three quarts of different grays. I thought after I did my basecoats then one coat of clear, then let him do the graphic, then I can finish with two more coats of clear. Any tips, or advice is greatly appreciated.
cep62
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: Painting a graphic on my f100

Post by cep62 »

Go to your local body shop ,they should have shelves of paint saved up , bring some glass baby food jars.(and maybe a few beers) :D

A good paint supply place should be able to mix paint in small batches especially if you're not trying to match it up .

Old time sign painters use One Shot paint which is an enamel ,You should be able to get that by the pint.
squearl

Post by squearl »

yes I forgot about One Shot enamel. That should work perfect, Thanks!
RustRed

Post by RustRed »

I have same idea. How do you paint on rust, seriously any tips.
Wanna-be Rat-Rod: 1971, F-103, SWB, 302, 3 Speed on Column, Holley 7448-2, Headers without mufflers,
Planned Upgades: Holley 1850, Alum. Intake, Lighting Heads, Airbrushed Hood etc...
"On a not so quite night u can hear my Truck Rust!!!!"
cep62
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by cep62 »

I live in Michigan ,we don't have to paint our rust on. :D

Maybe this guy could help.

http://mickeyharrisart.com/
I went to his paint session once,and he is talented.
I thought he had some how to videos. ??
two-bit
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by two-bit »

cep62 wrote:I live in Michigan ,we don't have to paint our rust on.
NO DOUBT !!!! I can't speak for below the bridge. However, above the bridge, the Iron Moths NEVER sleep. Our rust is real, 100% organic. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Two-bit
Living life full throttle on the North Coast of America!!!

72' F-350, DRW, 360, NP435, Dana 70, 159" WB, P.S., P.B., 12' flatbed, 10,000 GVW.
cep62
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by cep62 »

two-bit wrote:I can't speak for below the bridge. However, above the bridge, the Iron Moths NEVER sleep
I always thought us "trolls" had it worse , because we have a little warmer temps and more pavement (which means more salt )
RustRed

Post by RustRed »

:clap: :hd: :clap: My wording is funny. Thank-you cep62:
What I am asking is I want the ole Rod look so I want to paint on top of my Rusted truck body. Any tips on how to prepare pre- and post painting. I plan on lettering and graphics............ :yt:
Wanna-be Rat-Rod: 1971, F-103, SWB, 302, 3 Speed on Column, Holley 7448-2, Headers without mufflers,
Planned Upgades: Holley 1850, Alum. Intake, Lighting Heads, Airbrushed Hood etc...
RustRed

Post by RustRed »

***Right-on cep62.*** I have already bought 2 air brushes before my post. Looks like an amazing site you turned me on2.........Kool........... :rock:
Teledude66

Post by Teledude66 »

I use Auto-Air, it's water based, and easy to work with. You say your brother does a lot of canvas airbrushing, then he should be familiar with Createx, they make Auto Air. AA is easy to mix on your own, all their colors can be mixed to desired effect, and they have many different variations of colors. The thing I like about AA is being water based you can wipe it off if you don't like it. it's not permanent until you spray your clear over it. I usually get my main base colors done, and clear them, then do graphics over that, then when I'm happy I shoot my final coats of clear. You can buy it at Hobby Lobby, A.C. Moore, as well as paint shops. Look at Kustom Kulture Lounge, they have some AA groups. Of course you'll have people that swear by AA, as well as House of Kolor, but for the money, and ease of use AA is the way to go.
Teledude66

Post by Teledude66 »

Btw for the rust look check out the link below, Kevin Tetz does a good tutorial on how to get the faux patina, and even does a lettering job, and distresses it.

http://www.powerblocktv.com/episode/TK2 ... -faux-tina
squearl

Post by squearl »

well, I didn't get my lettering airbrushed on. Brother basically was afraid he would "ruin" my truck, haha. Oh well maybe I can convince him later on. I painted the truck myself, and it really didn't come out as good as I hoped. I guess it could have been worse, since it was the first and only vehicle I've ever painted.[img]
71%20f100.jpg
[/img]
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
RustRed

Post by RustRed »

~~~squeael...........Amazing paint job....beautiful colur~~~