Fender Removal to work on heads

Moderator: FORDification

72Highboy
Preferred User
Preferred User

Fender Removal to work on heads

Post by 72Highboy »

Hello Everyone

Just one more bolt in the bucket. I have been having problems with these broken bolts. I really dont want to tear out the head I was thinking about removing the inner fender to dill out the broken head bolts. I have looked at the schematics and it seems easy I know I have remove the hood and work my way down and out. My questions are.

1. Will I have to take off the front grill to remove the passenger fender or just a little bit of losening some bolts.

2. I know the hood has to come off the, the hood spring thingy in the corner has to come off, then quite a few bolts have to come off for the inner fender then the outer fender. But does the inner go first or outer. :hmm:

3. Is this a pretty simple task or novice one.
Joshua
aka Young Gun 8) :drive:
FE - Famous Engine
(Brandi) 72 F100 360 5.9L Sport Custom 6" Lift
U.S. Army Veteran/11B
mlheppl
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Re: Fender Removal to work on heads

Post by mlheppl »

The outer fender has to come off before the inner fender, Not sure bout the grill part. I think I'd rather get a cherry picker and pull the motor out than pull fenders to get to the head bolts but it's your truck and your job, you can do it however you want to. :2cents:
Mike
71 F250 4X4
99 F250SD 4X4 7.3L PSD
convincor
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by convincor »

is it just the upper bolts that are broke?
have a air compressor? if yes buy a right angle air drill and cut down a drill bit just enough to get clearence to get started.
another thing is at what point are you? are the mafifolds off and out of the way? is there any bolt left above the surface?
take like a 1/2" bolt put it over the broken stud and use mig to weld the two together. the weld wont stick to the cast and the nut will give you something to grab as well as the heat from the weld to get it turning. you could alway's add extra heat if you have it.
Another option and not my favorite is to just turn the upper holes into slots with a grinder. use a nut and bolt from here on.
68 Custom Cab Shorty, 390, C6, 9"-3.50:1 Currie T/L
"Still Plays With Trucks"
http://s101.photobucket.com/albums/m41/convincor/F100/
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

to pull the fender and inner fendrer. you want to pull them in one piece. not take them apart. there i9s no need to do that. once the hood is off and out of the way remove the bolts fromt he grill on that side. remove the botls holding the fender to the core support while you are under there. remove the inner fender to core support botls. as well as the lower valance bolts. then you can get off the ground. remove the bolts to the upper valance /grill filler panel from the fender/core support. oops. i forgot the rubber strap on the front cab mount to inner fender. squat down and take that off too. the last thing to do is to remove the inner fender from the firewall bracjet. or remove the firewall bracket from the firewall. that is usually easier and may not mess up the inner fender if you remove the brace. but mark where the brace sits exactly ont he firewall to get everything lined back up properly.

as far as drilling the heads without removing everything. well you have to make sure you are centered in the orgianl hole if you do that kind of drilling or you will end up using nuts and bolts to hold it all back together.
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

the list of those bolts would be 3 botls fender to core support. 3-4 grill to fender and core support. 2 on the rubber strap. 5-6 ofr inner fender to core support. 3 for firewall bracket either way you do it. plus all of the elcetrical connections.
72Highboy
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by 72Highboy »

Sweet thank you guys for all the help, ill post picks tomarra I think its much easier this way.
Joshua
FE - Famous Engine
U.S. Army Veteran/11B
ximy
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by ximy »

I would have just yanked out the motor... but perhaps it is easier this way... :o :pray:
1967 f250 428
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

idon't know. on a highboy the enigne coming out is alot harder. because the truck sits up so high. we removed the core support to put an engine in and out of my F100 4wd. on a 2wd i may have pulled the engine.
mlheppl
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by mlheppl »

fordman wrote:idon't know. on a highboy the enigne coming out is alot harder. because the truck sits up so high. we removed the core support to put an engine in and out of my F100 4wd. on a 2wd i may have pulled the engine.
I pulled the 360 out and put a 400 in my highboy without removing the core support. Plus with the engine out of the truck, it'd be a lot easier to get at those busted bolts IMO.
Mike
71 F250 4X4
99 F250SD 4X4 7.3L PSD
72Highboy
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by 72Highboy »

Well just like the song by "Montgomery Gentry, You do your thing Ill do mine" no disrespect tho. Also I dont have a engine hoist :( and my trucks radiator support sits about 5 feet high :D. So this was the easiest beside takeing off the intake and removing the head. It works great you can acess the last two top bolt holes if the top bolts broke with a straight drill and without the fender it gives you more room to use a right angle drill to get to the first two ports. It also saves having to get gaskets, coolent, and engine oil.
Joshua
FE - Famous Engine
U.S. Army Veteran/11B
ximy
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by ximy »

plenty of room now.. :D
1967 f250 428
flyboy71
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by flyboy71 »

See, there was no more work involved in doing that than most modern cars. You pretty much need to remove the whole front clip just to change the oil.
-Jeff

1971 F-100 240 straight six, 3 on the tree (parted out)
1972 F-100 302 auto trans, pwr steering, pwr brakes (under construction)
"Things are more like they are now than they ever were before" Dwight Eisenhower
mlheppl
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by mlheppl »

Well just like the song by "Montgomery Gentry, You do your thing Ill do mine" no disrespect tho
No prob. Glad it worked out for you. were you able to get the broken bolt(s) out?
Mike
71 F250 4X4
99 F250SD 4X4 7.3L PSD
72Highboy
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by 72Highboy »

It was a breeze, if it didn't rain, snow, and need a longer bolt it would have been done in 2 days. I was only able to start working at noon cuz thats when it got the warmest and had to end and 5:30 when there was no more light. Anyways here the finished product hoping to get the pipes welded to the reducers and to the mufflers tomarra if I can get ahold of a welder or I got to walk down to my old school farm to weld them up. I bet I will look funny walking down the street with two sets of 5 feet exhaust with glass packs. :D
Joshua
FE - Famous Engine
U.S. Army Veteran/11B