Mustang Fuel Tank Install (Pics)

Moderator: FORDification

jthulan

Re: Mustang Fuel Tank Install (Pics)

Post by jthulan »

This is all great information, I don't care how old the thread is. This is on my too do list for my LB.
1971 F100 Custom, 119,xxx miles
1984 Chevy Silverado, 437,xxx miles, original owner
1976 Ford Ranchero GT, 130,xxx miles
2015 Volvo XC60R, 60,xxx miles, daily
BobbyFord
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by BobbyFord »

jthulan wrote:This is all great information, I don't care how old the thread is. This is on my too do list for my LB.
Yup. Old thread. A bunch of us have done this mod. Don't be afraid to ask questions if you need help. :)
jthulan

Post by jthulan »

I'm wondering what everyone does with their spare tire? Doesn't the Camper Special carry theirs under the forward part of the bed on the right, behind a special door?
BobbyFord
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by BobbyFord »

jthulan wrote:I'm wondering what everyone does with their spare tire? Doesn't the Camper Special carry theirs under the forward part of the bed on the right, behind a special door?
That door you're referring to is a tool box.
I do not carry a spare tire (AAA.) In my 35 years driving, I can't recall ever changing a tire on the side of the road.
sykanr0ng

Post by sykanr0ng »

BobbyFord wrote:
jthulan wrote:I'm wondering what everyone does with their spare tire? Doesn't the Camper Special carry theirs under the forward part of the bed on the right, behind a special door?
I do not carry a spare tire (AAA.) In my 35 years driving, I can't recall ever changing a tire on the side of the road.
The Camper Special has a compartment for the spare tire, because a camper fills the bed.
Most other trucks of the era had the spare in the bed, there was a mount to bolt it upright on the side.
Flaresides sometimes had the spare mount on the outside of the bed, those trucks had a special fender.
Later model trucks were when the under bed spare became the usual way.
... I've got skills, ingenuity and no regard for maintaining any kind of historical preservation/authenticity...
BobbyFord
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by BobbyFord »

sykanr0ng wrote:
BobbyFord wrote:
jthulan wrote:...The Camper Special has a compartment for the spare tire, because a camper fills the bed.
Most other trucks of the era had the spare in the bed, there was a mount to bolt it upright on the side.
Flaresides sometimes had the spare mount on the outside of the bed, those trucks had a special fender.
FWIW, all spare tires, carriers (regardless of type), lug wrenches and jacks were all optional equipment.
Calfdemon
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by Calfdemon »

sykanr0ng wrote:
BobbyFord wrote:
The Camper Special has a compartment for the spare tire, because a camper fills the bed.

My camper special (72) did not have a special compartment. It used the regular under bed carrier that most bumpsides with a spare used. The "compartments" built in to the side of some of the beds (again, optional equipment) was always a tool box. If the trucks came with a spare (optional back then), then it was either a side mounted spare (flareside), and under the bed carrier (most common), or an in-bed carrier. If there is another type of spare carrier that someone has that came original with the truck, I would love to see it as those were the only 3 options that I know of, other than no spare at all.
-Rich

Current toys -
69 Ford F350 Crew Cab - 460 / C6 - http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh67 ... lqgskp.jpg
31 Ford Vicky - 1955 270 Red Ram Hemi / 4 speed - http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh67 ... bsibvn.jpg

Former toys -
67 Pontiac Firebird 400 convertible (sold 9/13) - http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh67 ... bird-1.jpg
67 Ford Fairlane GT - 390 / 4 speed (sold 7/15) - http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh67 ... c5hu8z.jpg
sykanr0ng

Post by sykanr0ng »

Well I went looking again and found that it was the 1973-1979 F350 Camper Specials with 140" wheelbase only that had the compartment on the side, I had confused myself thinking the bumpsides and dentsides both did :oops:
... I've got skills, ingenuity and no regard for maintaining any kind of historical preservation/authenticity...
BobbyFord
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by BobbyFord »

sykanr0ng wrote:Well I went looking again and found that it was the 1973-1979 F350 Camper Specials with 140" wheelbase only that had the compartment on the side, I had confused myself thinking the bumpsides and dentsides both did :oops:
No worries :)
jthulan

Post by jthulan »

So I guess everyone with the relocated rear gas tank either has no spare or carries it inside the bed?
BobbyFord
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by BobbyFord »

I have no use for a spare tire.
jthulan

Post by jthulan »

I'm looking at CJ Pony Parts and there looks to be two different 1970 Mustang 22 gal tanks? Or am I just looking at them wrong???
This first one looks like yours.

The second one is stainless with a drain plug.
BobbyFord
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by BobbyFord »

Mine also has a drain plug.
The two tanks you are looking at are dimensionally the same. One is stainless steel, one in galvanized steel.
jthulan

Post by jthulan »

I was kind thinking the second picture is the tank flipped upside down to show us the drain plug????

Also, stupid question: Does the tank have to go in the far back? What about the area under the front part of the bed? I have a long bed truck and was thinking I might have more room there?
BobbyFord
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by BobbyFord »

jthulan wrote:I was kind thinking the second picture is the tank flipped upside down to show us the drain plug????

Also, stupid question: Does the tank have to go in the far back? What about the area under the front part of the bed? I have a long bed truck and was thinking I might have more room there?
Correct, the second pic is the tank upside down.
My thread is to show how the Mustang tank can be installed behind the axle.
I'm not sure if it can fit under the front part of a longbed. Take some measurements. There already are aux tanks that fit under the front part of a longbed.