Mustang Fuel Tank Install (Pics)

Moderator: FORDification

sykanr0ng

Re: Mustang Fuel Tank Install (Pics)

Post by sykanr0ng »

jthulan wrote:I was kind thinking the second picture is the tank flipped upside down to show us the drain plug????

Also, stupid question: Does the tank have to go in the far back? What about the area under the front part of the bed? I have a long bed truck and was thinking I might have more room there?
Would it be mounted high enough to clear the drive shaft at full upward suspension travel?
If I recall correctly there are three sizes of tanks which are different heights.
... I've got skills, ingenuity and no regard for maintaining any kind of historical preservation/authenticity...
jthulan

Post by jthulan »

sykanr0ng wrote:
jthulan wrote:I was kind thinking the second picture is the tank flipped upside down to show us the drain plug????

Also, stupid question: Does the tank have to go in the far back? What about the area under the front part of the bed? I have a long bed truck and was thinking I might have more room there?
Would it be mounted high enough to clear the drive shaft at full upward suspension travel?
If I recall correctly there are three sizes of tanks which are different heights.
I'll have to look at clearances. I think I remember reading that BobbyFord said the 16/20/22 gal tanks from the different years are different heights, but the difference is in the top part of the tank. Which would I guess mean they used the same bottom half of the tanks for all of them and just have different top halves?? That would only help me by mounting my tank higher up in the frame, keeping it hugged up near the bed bottom.

I was thinking of this area because I still want to heve a spare tire. As I HAVE had blow outs (on the front running 75-80) and flat tires. I feel better having a spare tire with me. So I'm just trying to keep my options open...
1971 F100 Custom, 119,xxx miles
1984 Chevy Silverado, 437,xxx miles, original owner
1976 Ford Ranchero GT, 130,xxx miles
2015 Volvo XC60R, 60,xxx miles, daily
jthulan

Post by jthulan »

Don't have but 9inches at stock height with stock suspension. I guess it will have to be at the back...
sykanr0ng

Post by sykanr0ng »

What I was thinking was that even though the difference is on the top, unless you plan on cutting a hole in the bed for clearance you still can only go so high which means the rest must go down.

I have always used a bed mounted spare, up against the rail.
Lived and worked on a ranch, over 12 miles from the nearest small town, no AAA.
For a long time I had two spares, one on each side of the bed.
That was pre-cell phone era, but there are still large parts of the country with #$%^& for cell coverage, mostly not good places to be stuck or stranded.
... I've got skills, ingenuity and no regard for maintaining any kind of historical preservation/authenticity...
jthulan

Post by jthulan »

sykanr0ng wrote:What I was thinking was that even though the difference is on the top, unless you plan on cutting a hole in the bed for clearance you still can only go so high which means the rest must go down.

I have always used a bed mounted spare, up against the rail.
Lived and worked on a ranch, over 12 miles from the nearest small town, no AAA.
For a long time I had two spares, one on each side of the bed.
That was pre-cell phone era, but there are still large parts of the country with #$%^& for cell coverage, mostly not good places to be stuck or stranded.
EXACTLY! I have my truck at my weekend home where my big garage is. It is so far out in the sticks that we have no standard cell service, no cable tv, and no city water. For that matter, we dont exist on any GPS. It is a 45 minute drive to any auto parts store or decent sized grocery. I've gotten caught in the past with a bad spare. I need to have a spare tire with me so I was just trying to look at all options.
BrockGrimes

Post by BrockGrimes »

I thought about building something similar to this:

jthulan

Post by jthulan »

I have been thinking about the same type of thing. Only, I am going to mount it in the cab behind the passenger seat. So essentially I'm trading places of the gas tank with the spare tire locations. I will be making some type of mounting bracket (similar to the one shown here) and standing the tire up behind the passenger seat.
dantheman71
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by dantheman71 »

jthulan wrote:I have been thinking about the same type of thing. Only, I am going to mount it in the cab behind the passenger seat. So essentially I'm trading places of the gas tank with the spare tire locations. I will be making some type of mounting bracket (similar to the one shown here) and standing the tire up behind the passenger seat.
You must have a really small spare tire? I would think the seat will have to be quite far forward in order to do this. I'm with Bobby, no spare for me!

But thanks for reviving my thread everybody, I should come on here more often! lol
1972 Ford F-100
2002 Ford F-150
2002 Yamaha Raptor 660
Check out my NEW build thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 93#p641993
BobbyFord
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by BobbyFord »

dantheman71 wrote:...But thanks for reviving my thread everybody, I should come on here more often! lol
This is your thread, too?
dantheman71
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by dantheman71 »

BobbyFord wrote:
dantheman71 wrote:...But thanks for reviving my thread everybody, I should come on here more often! lol
Wow, I'm an idiot! LOL

Sorry, got it confused with this one http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... =3&t=48081

That's what I get for using my phone with a tiny screen.
1972 Ford F-100
2002 Ford F-150
2002 Yamaha Raptor 660
Check out my NEW build thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 93#p641993
BobbyFord
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by BobbyFord »

dantheman71 wrote:
BobbyFord wrote:
Wow, I'm an idiot! LOL

Sorry, got it confused with this one http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... =3&t=48081

That's what I get for using my phone with a tiny screen.
No worries, buddy. I knew what happened :D
RangerMan71XLT

Post by RangerMan71XLT »

Hello,

I was wondering if I used a 16 or 19 gallon 67-68 mustang tank if I could possibly put the filler hose and cap behind the license plate for easier access. What do you think about this Bobby Ford?
HIO Silver
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by HIO Silver »

It is physically possible but the fill port angle is all wrong. Your fuel capacity would only be like eight gallons.

Can you fabricate to adapt?
RangerMan71XLT

Post by RangerMan71XLT »

Thanks for the info. I would rather not fabricate the tank. I noticed some other people are using the Scout II tank for their rear tank installation. I will take the bed off and take some measurements.
bradenhen554

Post by bradenhen554 »

Thats some spectacular work!! Just what fuel filter did you use for this? And did you have to build a custom mount to keep it stable?