D.C. cab mount bushing kit

Moderator: FORDification

69f-100
Preferred User
Preferred User

D.C. cab mount bushing kit

Post by 69f-100 »

He guys I'm in need of some help. I purchased a cab mount bushing kit for my 69 f100 2wd from dennis carpenter, and I'm having issues making it work. The bushings are fine it all has to do with the hardware that is supplied. The kit comes with 4, 4" inch bolts 4 sleeves, 2 of them are 2 and 1/2 inches long and 2 are 2 and 3/16 inches long, and all of the necessary washers and nuts. Here are the issues i'm having, the bolts that are for the rear bushings are nowhere near long enough, looks like they need to be 5 and 1/2 inches long instead of 4. The sleeves that go on the rear bushings are flush with the bottom bushing when installled, so even if i had a long enough bolt I wouldn't get any "squish" of the bushings at all when I tighten them. Now to the front, the bolts are long enough, but the sleeve sticks through the bottom bushing about 1/2 of an inch when installed, so it wouldn't do any good to even try to tighten them down.

Has anyone bought one of the kits and ran into this problem before? If so, how did you correct it? I know I have to have some squish of the bushings when they are tightened down, but I don't know how much. I don't know if cutting the sleeves would be an option or not, if so I don't know how much shorter to make them. Maybe someone knows what the lengths of the sleeves should be so I can cut them.
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: D.C. cab mount bushing kit

Post by sargentrs »

Sent you a PM in reply to yours then remembered This thread when I was doing mine. This might help? http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... hp?t=71603
Randy
1970 F100 Sport Custom Limited LWB, 302cid, 3 on the tree. NO A/C, NO P/S, NO P/B. Currently in 1000 pcs while rebuilding. Project thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=59995 Plan: 351w, C4, LSD, pwr front disc, p/s, a/c, bucket seats, new interior and paint.
1987 F-150 XLT Lariat, 5.0/C6 auto.
DuckRyder

Post by DuckRyder »

I had this problem as well...

Trouble is I don't remember exactly what I did... I think I bought new bolts and cut the sleeves off...
Robert
1972 F100 Ranger XLT (445/C6/9” 3.50 Truetrac)

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -- Jeff Cooper
69f-100
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by 69f-100 »

DuckRyder wrote:I had this problem as well...

Trouble is I don't remember exactly what I did... I think I bought new bolts and cut the sleeves off...
That's what I'm going to have to do. I would think 1/4 to 3/8 inside the bushing would be enough crush. Just got to figure out which on of those two to go with.
Last edited by 69f-100 on Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
DuckRyder

Post by DuckRyder »

I can't find the post anymore, it was a very long time ago, but I remember the factory set up had washers which interlocked creating the center tube, I think I actually reassembled them and measured the effective distance...

FWIW - also e-mailed DC and of course they acted like that was the first they ever heard of it...
Robert
1972 F100 Ranger XLT (445/C6/9” 3.50 Truetrac)

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -- Jeff Cooper
69f-100
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by 69f-100 »

DuckRyder wrote:I can't find the post anymore, it was a very long time ago, but I remember the factory set up had washers which interlocked creating the center tube, I think I actually reassembled them and measured the effective distance...

FWIW - also e-mailed DC and of course they acted like that was the first they ever heard of it...
That doesn't surprise me at all, places like that always act like "that's the first time I've heard of that". Thank you for doing some checking for me. I decided to make the rear sleeves 2-7/16 and the front 1-1/2, that makes them sit about 1/4" in the bushings, that should be good enough.
Last edited by 69f-100 on Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
69f-100
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by 69f-100 »

Once I get everything correct, I'll update with everything I had to change and to what sizes. I'm sure this will be helpful so someone else that runs into this.
69f-100
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by 69f-100 »

Ok, I have an update on what I ended up doing. I cut the rear sleeves down to 2-7/16" and cut the fronts to 1-1/2", that gave me 1/4" crush of the rubber bushings. I used 5" bolts on the rear cab bushings and 3" bolts for the front cab bushings. The kit came with 4" bolts which were to long for the front and to short for the rear. Hopefully this will help the next person that runs into this. I'm also going to email d.c. about this issue as well, probably nothing will get done about the kits they are selling, but who knows. Thanks to everyone that was helping me on this.

Ryan