Anybody know how to replace a glass panel in a rear slider?

Moderator: FORDification

brownac1983

Anybody know how to replace a glass panel in a rear slider?

Post by brownac1983 »

My brother in law was dumb enough to put the nose of a kayak through the right panel on my rear slider (not the sliding panel, the stationary one). I can't find a glass shop that will touch it. They all want to sell me a whole assembly, but they're aftermarket and I don't care for the way they look. Is it possible to replace just a single pane? I see the seam where the frame of the slider meets itself, is it tack welded or will I be able to flex it open enough to get the panels out and back in? Is the rear slider gasket the same as a one-piece rear glass gasket? Thanks.
-Drew
Stealth69

Re: Anybody know how to replace a glass panel in a rear slider?

Post by Stealth69 »

8 or 9 years ago we broke my buddy's slider in his toyota with some lexan I had we did it in the truck it flexed just enough to get it in it was still serviceable 2 years ago when he was given a new one
'02 BMW 325xi

'69 Ford F250 C.S. Ranger 428 PI with gt 500 heads, racing c6, d60 3.73 limited slip, currently rat rod black (flat black) but going back factory Candy Apple Red / Wimbledon White
brownac1983

Post by brownac1983 »

Stealth69 wrote:8 or 9 years ago we broke my buddy's slider in his toyota with some lexan I had we did it in the truck it flexed just enough to get it in it was still serviceable 2 years ago when he was given a new one
Great suggestion, thanks. I stuck a piece of plexi in there until I can find a slider to part out. It was actually very easy to do.
duaneo
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by duaneo »

You might try a residential glass shop instead of an auto glass shop. I'm pretty sure if you come in saying I need a piece of tempered glass x thick with y dimensions, they'll give you a quote. I am of course assuming it's a flat piece of glass. :)

Cheers,
Duane
1971 F100 - Ugly on the outside, but purty under the hood...
1968 Chevrolet Impala - Family car since 1970, My car since I was 16, in need of bodywork/paint, but otherwise straight.
2004 Mini Cooper S - Daily driver and grown up go-kart
brownac1983

Post by brownac1983 »

duaneo wrote:You might try a residential glass shop instead of an auto glass shop. I'm pretty sure if you come in saying I need a piece of tempered glass x thick with y dimensions, they'll give you a quote. I am of course assuming it's a flat piece of glass. :)

Cheers,
Duane
I tried a few, most said they just couldn't do it. One lady that was a little more conversational said that she would attempt it, but she told me that tempered glass can't be cut, it would have to be cut first and tempered afterward, and it was expensive to do and that their temperer didn't like to do small pieces. We agreed that it would be much easier and cheaper to find a used replacement, but if I couldn't find one, she'd attempt to make one and I'd pay her cost if it didn't work out.
duaneo
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by duaneo »

Huh. Now I see your conundrum. Yeah, I guess keep the plexi until you can find a salvage replacement.

Ironically guys are giving away full sheets of back glass on here.

Cheers,
Duane
1971 F100 - Ugly on the outside, but purty under the hood...
1968 Chevrolet Impala - Family car since 1970, My car since I was 16, in need of bodywork/paint, but otherwise straight.
2004 Mini Cooper S - Daily driver and grown up go-kart
Tpdaniels

Post by Tpdaniels »

If you still need the glass panel I have one. I was going to rebuild my 72 factory rear slider but it turned out to be almost impossible to find all the right seals, I just gave up and ordered a aftermarket slider. I will be glad to give you the glass if you just pay the shipping. It was not hard at all to disassemble the window. Below is a picture of the slider in my truck before I restored it to make sure it's what you need and a picture of the one I bought to replace the whole window with. I personally like the replacement better.

I am of an age now that most of life's lessons were learned the hard way;
Life is hard, but it’s harder when you’re stupid.
Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear or a fool from any direction.
Never ask how stupid someone is 'cause they'll turn around and show you.
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
If you had the choice “Looks or Brains” take the Brains, Looks will get you thru the first half, but Brains will last a lifetime.
brownac1983

Post by brownac1983 »

Tpdaniels wrote:If you still need the glass panel I have one. I was going to rebuild my 72 factory rear slider but it turned out to be almost impossible to find all the right seals, I just gave up and ordered a aftermarket slider. I will be glad to give you the glass if you just pay the shipping. It was not hard at all to disassemble the window. Below is a picture of the slider in my truck before I restored it to make sure it's what you need and a picture of the one I bought to replace the whole window with. I personally like the replacement better.

[ Image ]

[ Image ]

[ Image ]
Thanks TPDaniels. That would be awesome. I'll send you PM.
-Drew