Engine Running, But Has Noise

Post your hosted videos from YouTube, Google, etc.

Moderator: FORDification

Forum rules
Videos are only allowed in the Video Gallery forum....not in a post in any other forum. Videos posted to any other will be immediately moved as needed. One video per thread, please! Nothing allowed of an adult, political or religious nature. For further rules and how-to's, click here.
Nitekruizer
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Engine Running, But Has Noise

Post by Nitekruizer »

I was just able to get around to starting my engine for the first time in almost 13 years. It fired up and ran, but there's a noise that I don't remember being there when I last ran it 13 years ago. When she fired up, the noise seems to start a couple of seconds later. I'm not very good at diagnosing engine noises by ear. So, I thought I'd ask you guys if you have an idea what that noise may be.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SloOiga5hkc

The engine is started cold and the carb is on fast idle.

Project Video
Last edited by Nitekruizer on Fri Nov 04, 2016 7:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
390 FE IN A "BUMP" / 383 WEDGE IN A 2 DOOR C-BODY / 351W IN A FULL-SIZE MERCURY / 194 CHEVY 6 IN A DUECE / 2.4 DOHC CHRYSLER IN A PLASTIC BUBBLE (Driver)
Busboy
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Re: Engine Running, But Has Noise

Post by Busboy »

Sounds like an exhaust leak at one cylinder port to me. You could try disabling one cylinder at a time by pulling the plug wire out of the distributor cap and noting whether or not the sound changes. Old FE exhaust manifolds seem to be prone to leakage.
1967 F-100 4x4 custom cab.
Another 67 F-100 4x4 custom cab.
2016 F-150 Eco-Boost 2.7 liter. (It will smoke the tires!)
1972 F-350 Sport Custom cab & chassis.
1972 F-250 Explorer Special, Camper Special.
1971 F-100 custom. 302, C-4, p.s. p.b. factory 65 amp alternator with transistorized voltage regulator.
Jacksdad
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Jacksdad »

My 352 has plagued me with exhaust leaks from day one, and that's what it sounds like to me too. You can often feel the gases escaping if they're loud enough to hear. Holding your fingers an inch or two from each of the manifold flanges, you'll probably be able to tell which one's blowing. Just don't get burned - those manifolds get a tad toasty pretty quick.
1971 DRW F350 cab and chassis with an Open Road motorhome conversion, Dana 70, 352 (originally 390)/C6, PS, power front discs, and 159" w/b.
Nitekruizer
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Nitekruizer »

Thanks for the replies guys. I'm hoping that it is something simple like an exhaust leak. I remember having to replace the exhaust donut on the passenger's side at one time.

I'll be checking the things you mentioned in a few days.

:fr:
390 FE IN A "BUMP" / 383 WEDGE IN A 2 DOOR C-BODY / 351W IN A FULL-SIZE MERCURY / 194 CHEVY 6 IN A DUECE / 2.4 DOHC CHRYSLER IN A PLASTIC BUBBLE (Driver)