Inside the cab...appearance, repair, upgrades

Moderator: FORDification

1guydude
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

speedo cable

Post by 1guydude »

Ok guys and gals.
Im receiving a batch of parts ive ordered and im thinking of ordering a new speedo... I have one ran and sitting but not hooked up cuz it didn't work but I left it just in case I would use it later.
Anyways. Im replacing the volt reg in the instrument panel.
My questions are, do I need cable lube of some type? Does the tranny fluid lube that? Is it possible my plastic gear in the tranny for the speedo cable is just stripped out? How do I know which one to order as in how many teeth? Do I have to pull it out and count? Is it mechanical and the volt reg dosent matter and is just for the other gauges?
thanks all.
-d
2008 bmw 528i
1967 ford f100
2014 vw tiguan
2016 kawasaki 250f
2015 KTM rc390
2014 audi tt Quatro s
Braaaaap!
Ohiotinkerer
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Re: speedo cable

Post by Ohiotinkerer »

Your speedo is all mechanical - the regulator just controls the gages and how they read - as far as the gear you just count the teeth on your old one or if its original it will be colored plastic (maroon, green, yellow, etc) and should also have the tooth number cast on the end of it - most of the aftermarket ones are just white so you'll need to know the tooth count. I have always used a graphite lube on my cables with pretty good results. And there are 2 different gear styles so make sure what you get matches the one you are replacing - if you have a Dennis Carpenter catalog page 85 shows the difference between them........
"Life is a garden - dig it"........... :thup:

1968 F100 2wd - Rangoon Red - 360 w/T18 - power steering and brakes
1997 Honda CBR 900RR