Speedo issues

Inside the cab...appearance, repair, upgrades

Moderator: FORDification

takehikes

Speedo issues

Post by takehikes »

Bought a used speedo to put in my 68 as my odometer quit working. Worked great first couple days. Then it got cold. In the morning last couple days it made a heck of a racket, you could hear it was a rotational sound. Needle would fly wildly around the dial. However on way home when warmer no noise and worked fine. I was going to look in to it this weekend but this morning it made way more noise. Needle went nuts then buried itself on the low side completely out of sight and stayed there. I'm fearful to lube anything as don't think the speedo or odometer take lube. Looking for any ideas.

Any suggestions?
1968 F100 SWB Flareside, 240-6, 3 speed, 3.70 rear, bone stock and rust free.
basketcase0302
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: Speedo issues

Post by basketcase0302 »

"takehikes" Bought a used speedo to put in my 68 as my odometer quit working. Worked great first couple days. Then it got cold. In the morning last couple days it made a heck of a racket, you could hear it was a rotational sound. Needle would fly wildly around the dial. However on way home when warmer no noise and worked fine. I was going to look in to it this weekend but this morning it made way more noise. Needle went nuts then buried itself on the low side completely out of sight and stayed there. I'm fearful to lube anything as don't think the speedo or odometer take lube. Looking for any ideas.
Any suggestions?
The cable assembly takes spray lithium grease. Unscrew it from the speedo housing and spray down the cable sheath. But it sounds like your gonna find the end of the cable eaten up, (possibly something in the speedo bound up or more than likely the plastic gear on the tranny end seized causing the cable to bind).
Here's a good image of the cable less the plastic gear on the tranny end that connects using a c-clip:

Jeff
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=46251
SOLD-71 F-350 dually flatbed, 302 / .030 over V-8 with a "baby"C-6, B & M truckshifter, Dana70/4.11 ratio, intermittent wipers, tilt steering, full LED lighting on the flat bed, and no stereo yet (this way I can hear the rattles to diagnose)! SOLD!
Many Ford bumps / one 76' EB / and several dents through the years.
A lot of "oddball" Ford parts collected from working on them for 34 years now!
2008 Ford Escape 4 x 4
takehikes

Post by takehikes »

Lubed cable and it works fine with no noise. Odometer still working but speedo needle is buried completely out of sight and hasnt moved.
Not sure whats going on.
1968 F100 SWB Flareside, 240-6, 3 speed, 3.70 rear, bone stock and rust free.
pchelp101

Post by pchelp101 »

basketcase0302 wrote:
What is the correct length for the cable?
1969 F100, 390, 3 Speed, 2WD
basketcase0302
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by basketcase0302 »

"takehikes"]Lubed cable and it works fine with no noise. Odometer still working but speedo needle is buried completely out of sight and hasnt moved. Not sure whats going on.
I don't think there could be any thing else here but a bad gauge, (if the odometer is still logging miles and the speedo is buried).
And the DOT basically made them tamper proof so we could not roll the miles back, (legally).

I've got a cable here but will have to dig, (it's in the bottom of four heavy very large boxes of parts) to measure.
Maybe someone else can come along that has one easier to measure pchelp101. :pray:
Jeff
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=46251
SOLD-71 F-350 dually flatbed, 302 / .030 over V-8 with a "baby"C-6, B & M truckshifter, Dana70/4.11 ratio, intermittent wipers, tilt steering, full LED lighting on the flat bed, and no stereo yet (this way I can hear the rattles to diagnose)! SOLD!
Many Ford bumps / one 76' EB / and several dents through the years.
A lot of "oddball" Ford parts collected from working on them for 34 years now!
2008 Ford Escape 4 x 4