Bench seat options

Inside the cab...appearance, repair, upgrades

Moderator: FORDification

mkoecher

Bench seat options

Post by mkoecher »

Hey all. What are peoples recommendations on covers for their bench seat? Currently I have a saddle seat cover over my bench. I like the look of it but in less than two years it is ripped to shreds. Partly because I think the ripped jagged edges of the vinyl underneath it tore it and partially the sun damaged it and it disintegrates and sheds all over the passengers now. I would be interested to know peoples opinions on the following:

1. What is a good high quality saddle seat cover?
2. Replacing the vinyl seat cover with those fabricated ones you get online? Any preference on location to buy?
3. Taking it to a local upholstery shop?

Any thoughts or opinions would be appreciated.
basketcase0302
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: Bench seat options

Post by basketcase0302 »

"mkoecher"]Hey all. What are peoples recommendations on covers for their bench seat? Currently I have a saddle seat cover over my bench. I like the look of it but in less than two years it is ripped to shreds. Partly because I think the ripped jagged edges of the vinyl underneath it tore it and partially the sun damaged it and it disintegrates and sheds all over the passengers now. I would be interested to know peoples opinions on the following:
1. What is a good high quality saddle seat cover?
2. Replacing the vinyl seat cover with those fabricated ones you get online? Any preference on location to buy?
3. Taking it to a local upholstery shop?
Any thoughts or opinions would be appreciated.
Do yourself a favor and upgrade your seat to a dent era bench seat, (73-79) you'll be so...glad you did as they have twice the cushioning and you can usually find one for less than the price of a good seat cover in a boneyard. :wink:
Jeff
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=46251
SOLD-71 F-350 dually flatbed, 302 / .030 over V-8 with a "baby"C-6, B & M truckshifter, Dana70/4.11 ratio, intermittent wipers, tilt steering, full LED lighting on the flat bed, and no stereo yet (this way I can hear the rattles to diagnose)! SOLD!
Many Ford bumps / one 76' EB / and several dents through the years.
A lot of "oddball" Ford parts collected from working on them for 34 years now!
2008 Ford Escape 4 x 4
Jacksdad
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Jacksdad »

I lucked out after seeing nothing but torn up bench seats when I found a later model ('89) crew cab F350. The front seat was showing some wear, but the rear was perfect. Best part is, the front and rear are identical so the bump seat runners bolted straight up, and it tilts forward so I can still store things behind the seat.
1971 DRW F350 cab and chassis with an Open Road motorhome conversion, Dana 70, 352 (originally 390)/C6, PS, power front discs, and 159" w/b.
colnago
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by colnago »

I bought one of those upholstery sets from LMC or NPD Link, and the foam from a supply shop that I cut to fit with scissors and an X-Acto knife. The upholstery is vinyl where you don't sit, and fuzzy where you do sit. I was afraid the fuzzy would wear off pretty quickly, but I have a green interior, so my choices are very limited. Surprisingly, the fuzzy has worn very well. The only problem is that I tend to keep my driver window rolled down all the time, so the edge of the seat gets wet when it rains (not very often in the high desert area of SoCal). Over the years, the vinyl has broken down where it has become wet. I'm not sure what I'm going to do about it. This is a daily driver, not a show truck, so it doesn't have to be perfect ... but I'd still like it to look its best.

Joseph
"Sugar", my 1967 Ford F250 2WD Camper Special, 352FE, Ford iron "T" Intake with 1405 Edelbrock, Duraspark II Ignition, C6 transmission, front disc brake conversion.
WarEagle

Post by WarEagle »

If you have the means, leather installed by a professional would be so cool. (and last a long time with proper care) Otherwise, try duct tape!! In the middle of those 2 extremes is vinyl. I just did my '72 bench with the $179 from LMC. It fits good, looks good and was easy to install.
I guess it all comes down to how much you want to spend, comfort level, the look that you want and wear factor involved.
1972 F100 300 cid straight 6
2009 F150 4.6L Super Crew
farmallmta

These are good seat covers

Post by farmallmta »

http://www.rufftuff.com/ then onto choice selection...
https://seats.rufftuff.com/#!/

I got a saddle blanket seat cover for my '69 F250 from these folks... it's very attractive and has held up very well and is cheaper than the supplier above. I'd definitely get one for another truck.

http://www.seatcover.com/F250.html
jzjames
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by jzjames »

basketcase0302 wrote:Do yourself a favor and upgrade your seat to a dent era bench seat, (73-79) you'll be so...glad you did as they have twice the cushioning and you can usually find one for less than the price of a good seat cover in a boneyard. :wink:
Second this.
73-79 are better seats, direct bolt-in to the 67-72s.
The back is shaped better and more comfortable and I think it gives you an extra inch of leg room