Air vent / kick panel interior gaskets

Inside the cab...appearance, repair, upgrades

Moderator: FORDification

Zorm
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Air vent / kick panel interior gaskets

Post by Zorm »

Anyone have a line on where I can find these, or does the one that DC has work for both sides. I got a 71 Camper special and its a flat pull/push type on the drivers side and a rotate up / connected to the heater box on the other side.

thanks
1971 F250 Camper Special, family owned since 1972
1983 Cherokee, last of the big ones, bought in Italy, family owned since 1998
1965 Corvair Corsa Convertible, 140 engine, 4 speed.

HE guides my path, forgives me when I stray and lights my life
basketcase0302
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: Air vent / kick panel interior gaskets

Post by basketcase0302 »

Zorm wrote:Anyone have a line on where I can find these, or does the one that DC has work for both sides. I got a 71 Camper special and its a flat pull/push type on the drivers side and a rotate up / connected to the heater box on the other side.

thanks

I had to look at my pictures, (thanks photobucket or I'd have the link to show you from my build). The openings on both the passenger and drivers side are the same rectangular shaped opening-so I'd say the gaskets are the same. I couldn't remember if I replaced them on my 71' that I built or not as i completely rebuilt the entire heater plenum.
NPD is showing a gasket but I'd call them to confirm it's the correct one:

http://www.nationalpartsdepot.com/flipb ... 1979#p=172
Jeff
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=46251
SOLD-71 F-350 dually flatbed, 302 / .030 over V-8 with a "baby"C-6, B & M truckshifter, Dana70/4.11 ratio, intermittent wipers, tilt steering, full LED lighting on the flat bed, and no stereo yet (this way I can hear the rattles to diagnose)! SOLD!
Many Ford bumps / one 76' EB / and several dents through the years.
A lot of "oddball" Ford parts collected from working on them for 34 years now!
2008 Ford Escape 4 x 4
basketcase0302
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by basketcase0302 »

It's not even showing the gasket here but I remember it being a foam type about 1/8" thick that goes between the plastic duct and the metal firewall:

Jeff
SOLD-71 F-350 dually flatbed, 302 / .030 over V-8 with a "baby"C-6, B & M truckshifter, Dana70/4.11 ratio, intermittent wipers, tilt steering, full LED lighting on the flat bed, and no stereo yet (this way I can hear the rattles to diagnose)! SOLD!
2008 Ford Escape 4 x 4
Zorm
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Zorm »

Thanks basketcase0302.
I really wasn't looking to remove the heater box but I had to take care of the surface rust issues in the fresh air vent duct/ cowl area. I thought since I have it out, might rebuilt it but everything moves real smooth and the rubber accordion piece between the air vent and the box i still real pliable and in great shape, just dirty. So I think its just a coat of paint, replace the heater core while its out and slap her back in, Oh, I do need 1 new defrost duct, may as well replace both of em.

basketcase0302
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by basketcase0302 »

Seldom seen one of our bumps where the round defrost ducting wasn't rotted away.
Good time, (summer) to make sure it's all working fine. Make sure to give the cables some spray lithium grease before you hook them back up and you'll be thankful down the road. And stick the shop vac down in the opening of the vents as well as blow compressed air down into there you won't believe the leaves and crap that will come out of there saving your lower fender from rotting away! :thup:
Jeff
2008 Ford Escape 4 x 4
Zorm
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Zorm »

Well, while the heater box was out I did this http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... heater+box. Used the same Master Silver I used in the fresh air vents on all the metal pieces and used zip nuts in place of the rivets. Gave it all a "hammered" look coat of paint. Now to toss it all back in, along with the air vents and get back to the front suspension.

sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by sargentrs »

:thup:
Randy
1970 F100 Sport Custom Limited LWB, 302cid, 3 on the tree. NO A/C, NO P/S, NO P/B. Currently in 1000 pcs while rebuilding. Project thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=59995 Plan: 351w, C4, LSD, pwr front disc, p/s, a/c, bucket seats, new interior and paint.
1987 F-150 XLT Lariat, 5.0/C6 auto.