DC Headliner Install

Inside the cab...appearance, repair, upgrades

Moderator: FORDification

gte619n

DC Headliner Install

Post by gte619n »

Hey everyone,

I've received a new headliner from Dennis Carpenter. It looks almost identical to the one I pulled out of the truck but there's a couple of issues:

1. It looks a little bit larger, maybe 1" in the front and 1/2" on the sides.
2. It does not have a hole for the center screw.

To remove the headliner, I removed the four chrome trim pieces (~8 screws). Those are off to the chrome shop as they are in ROUGH shape. Under the chrome trim, there were a few screws that went through the headliner around the edges and nothing else. That doesn't seem right to me. Do I need a set of "headliner clips" that go into the small slots?

Something like this: http://www.macsautoparts.com/ford_truck ... truck.html

Is the center screw correct? Do I need to somehow locate that on the new headliner?

Thanks!

E
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: DC Headliner Install

Post by sargentrs »

My truck did not have clips and AFAIK it's all original. Not a bad idea though. They'd hold it in place while you install it and you may not even need the screws then. You do need the center screw or it will droop over time. I guess you could use some glue or double sided tape on the center rib instead and use the screw if that gives way. Put a screw in the hole in the center rib and once the headliner is ready to install, hold it up and tap lightly over the screw. It'll leave a mark that you can then use to drill a small hole to put the screw through. The headliner was probably cut large to give you some room to trim to fit for any inconsistencies in the cab roof.
Randy
1970 F100 Sport Custom Limited LWB, 302cid, 3 on the tree. NO A/C, NO P/S, NO P/B. Currently in 1000 pcs while rebuilding. Project thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=59995 Plan: 351w, C4, LSD, pwr front disc, p/s, a/c, bucket seats, new interior and paint.
1987 F-150 XLT Lariat, 5.0/C6 auto.
gte619n

Post by gte619n »

WRT clips, those look like they're for an earlier model but seem like they might fit in the slots. Has anyone tried that strategy?
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by sargentrs »

After thinking about this a little more, I don't think those clips will work on our trucks. The earlier model Ford truck cabs had a bow style headliner. Typically these types of headliners have a metal strip on the outer edges of the headliner that gets clipped to a vertical edge around the top of the cab and windlace may/may not be sandwiched between the two. The clips were to hold the two vertical pieces, the cab sheet metal and the headliner metal strip, together, hence the U shape and the outward turned tab. The front and rear were usually tucked under the rubber seal or clipped in a similar manner. Our trucks have a similar vertical edge around the inside perimeter of the cab but the headliner was designed to lay flat against it and be screwed into place or have the trim hold it there. To use a similar clip on our trucks I would think it would be more of a S shape similar to 61-66 models which used the same style headliner http://www.macsautoparts.com/ford_truck ... ieces.html
Randy
1970 F100 Sport Custom Limited LWB, 302cid, 3 on the tree. NO A/C, NO P/S, NO P/B. Currently in 1000 pcs while rebuilding. Project thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=59995 Plan: 351w, C4, LSD, pwr front disc, p/s, a/c, bucket seats, new interior and paint.
1987 F-150 XLT Lariat, 5.0/C6 auto.
Busboy
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by Busboy »

The black wide headed screws under the chrome strips were just an assembly aid. All of my trucks had them. My DC headliner fit perfectly and I didn't have to trim it at all. I matched the screw position from the old headliner. Use long strips of wood or something to hold the headliner in place while you position it and begin to install the chrome trim strips.
1967 F-100 4x4 custom cab.
Another 67 F-100 4x4 custom cab.
2016 F-150 Eco-Boost 2.7 liter. (It will smoke the tires!)
1972 F-350 Sport Custom cab & chassis.
1972 F-250 Explorer Special, Camper Special.
1971 F-100 custom. 302, C-4, p.s. p.b. factory 65 amp alternator with transistorized voltage regulator.
jingo

Post by jingo »

Using the old, shot headliner as a template, I fabricated a new one with 1/8" hardboard from HD. Mounted a piece of parchment vinyl with 3m top and trim adhesive, polished the chrome moldings til they sparkled. All in about $45, looks fantastic.

The hardest part was actually installing the sucker. It's a tight fit - has to bend in the center up to the cab roof for a center screw, and bend really hard in the curves at each rear corner. Holding it in position WHILE finding 'blind' screw holes for moldings, with everything flopping around, is a bear...even with another set of hands. By necessity I found a good trick that makes this install a lot easier.

Get 2 pieces of 1x2 lumber wider than the cab. Roll down the windows just enough to run them from one side to the other. While resting the headliner on the dash and steering wheel, slide the wood pieces under the headliner as you lift it from the dash and steering wheel. This will get the headliner close enough to the cab roof to easily fit it in place and get the moldings screwed in. With this method you can dry fit your new hardboard and do the final install without help, which also saves some aggravation finding someone to help.

Hope this tip is useful, I had to learn it the hard way. :wink:
1970 Ranger Styleside, LWB, Harbor Blue
416, C6, man brakes & steering
gte619n

Post by gte619n »

@jingo

That's a genius idea!! I still haven't got mine fitted back and will 100% try that!
Ohiotinkerer
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by Ohiotinkerer »

jingo,

Thanks for that install info! Getting ready to put mine back together and thought I was going to have to recruit one of my daughters to help but using a board will be easier on my nerves............. :D :thup:
"Life is a garden - dig it"........... :thup:

1968 F100 2wd - Rangoon Red - 360 w/T18 - power steering and brakes
1997 Honda CBR 900RR
Busboy
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by Busboy »

Nice tips everyone. I have installed 2 DC headliners and use the long strips as large "washers" but I use a ratcheting cargo bar to hold it up in place while I position things.
1967 F-100 4x4 custom cab.
Another 67 F-100 4x4 custom cab.
2016 F-150 Eco-Boost 2.7 liter. (It will smoke the tires!)
1972 F-350 Sport Custom cab & chassis.
1972 F-250 Explorer Special, Camper Special.
1971 F-100 custom. 302, C-4, p.s. p.b. factory 65 amp alternator with transistorized voltage regulator.
jingo

Post by jingo »

A last note on the center screw for your headliner. Don't bother to try and find the old hole for this fastener. Make sure the hole in your hardboard (or purchased part) is appropriately located somewhere in the center brace of the cab roof when you dry fit. Then drill a new hole for a #8 self tapper, preferably with a flange head. I put a small washer under mine, just to make sure it would NEVER pull through the masonite. Finish using a piece of shirt cardboard with an hole cut the the size of the washer, and a spritz from the rattle can color of your vinyl, to 'hide' the screw somewhat. Enjoy!
jingo

Post by jingo »

Oops...small correction. You make sure the HOLE is in a good place when you dry fit the piece, otherwise you'll drill a hole through your cab roof, always a bad idea. :oops: You actually drill the new hole ONLY for final install, when several (or all) moldings and screws are set in. The center screw is always last.
1guydude
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by 1guydude »

K my truck didnt come with a headliner or chrome trim....
I get condensation. Will this go away when i do my floors and rust and door rubber and window felt?
Also is the trim required to hold the headliner up or does it just hide the hardware?
Thanks
D
2008 bmw 528i
1967 ford f100
2014 vw tiguan
2016 kawasaki 250f
2015 KTM rc390
2014 audi tt Quatro s
Braaaaap!