After Market TMI Seats

Inside the cab...appearance, repair, upgrades

Moderator: FORDification

Bullitt74
Preferred User
Preferred User

Re: After Market TMI Seats

Post by Bullitt74 »

Thank you Chris for posting this, and your persistence with this issue.

4 mounting studs is just plain unacceptable :cuss: . I always thought the factory number was excessive, but 4 mounting points seems barely 'tacked in'. I'm not sure what people are thinking when they design aftermarket products like these...only a matter of time until people catch on and communicate amongst ourselves as we are doing now...this hurts their BRAND and people will ultimately vote with their wallets.
Steve F.
Red Deer, Alberta, Canada
'72 Ranger XLT, 4x2, 390-2V, C6, Wind blue & Wimbledon White (‘Smokey’)
8)
2016 F150 Lariat FX4 Supercrew, Ruby Red
Follow my build thread for 'Smokey': http://fordification.com/forum/viewtopi ... 22&t=85070
DuckRyder

Post by DuckRyder »

I'd like to see some pictures too along with the (hopefully) resolution.
Robert
1972 F100 Ranger XLT (445/C6/9” 3.50 Truetrac)

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -- Jeff Cooper
FFRKing

Post by FFRKing »

I'm still waiting to hear from Earnest about a resolution.

Chris
-1968 F100 SWB, 4.6 3V, 5R55S auto, Crown Vic front and rear.
-1968 Cougar XR-7, 351C, AOD, Explorer rear. In approx. 6,000 pieces at the moment.
Bullitt74
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by Bullitt74 »

Dang. I was thinking about ordering the TMI door panels, but now I am having second thoughts... :?
Steve F.
Red Deer, Alberta, Canada
'72 Ranger XLT, 4x2, 390-2V, C6, Wind blue & Wimbledon White (‘Smokey’)
8)
2016 F150 Lariat FX4 Supercrew, Ruby Red
Follow my build thread for 'Smokey': http://fordification.com/forum/viewtopi ... 22&t=85070
emeraldcoupe

Post by emeraldcoupe »

FFRKing wrote:I'm still waiting to hear from Earnest about a resolution.

Chris

did you ever get this worked out?
French-Ford

Post by French-Ford »

Chris,

Did you ever get the dash pad issue worked out?
French-Ford
Fort Worth, Texas

68 F100 Ranger Trim Package - 390 -3 On The Tree and Armstrong Steering

68 F250 Camper Special - Truck Came From The Factory In 1968 With - Ranger Trim Package - 390 - C6 Automatic - Power Steering -Front Disc Brakes - Vacuum Assist Brakes - Auxiliary Fuel Tank - Air Conditioning.
FFRKing

Post by FFRKing »

I get one email a week from Earnest at TMI. Mostly :bs: questions like "send me a picture so I can compare to another part in stock." "Send a picture of the invoice so they can verify the correct part"
I told him the part is the correct one but doesn't have enough mounting studs to hold it in place.
I did send pics last Friday and still haven't heard back. Time for a phone call.
My daughter got married this past Sat. so I haven't pursued this like I should have. I have time now.

Chris
-1968 Cougar XR-7, 351C, AOD, Explorer rear. In approx. 6,000 pieces at the moment.
FFRKing

Post by FFRKing »

I spoke with Ernest today, after reaching his voicemail and then talking to an operator who connected me with him.
He said he talked with the shop guys and verified that it is only made with the 4 mounting studs. He also asked the R&D guys who do installs and they said you have to push the pad up and forward and really tighten down the studs. You may also have to install a piece of foam tape on the dash to hold it up.
I haven't measured it, but I'm sure there is an inch gap between the pad and metal dash when positioned correctly.
Ernest also said he spoke with the Sales Manager who has one in his 67-72 and said he didn't have any problems with the fit. He followed that sentence with a comment that he wasn't sure who installed it.
I politely suggested that they should rethink their poor design and install at least 3 studs on the rear edge of the dash pad so that it would fit properly. I'm sure that fell on deaf ears.
Bottom line is that I got the run around and they have my money. I think the dash looks nice and it will fit properly when I am done. It's going to be a pain to install, clamp into the proper position, mark the location from the back side, and glue more studs on the pad. Just time and a few bucks that I should be able to put elsewhere.
I went with the black with red stitching with intentions of the same on the seats. I guess I will wait until someone runs them on sale before I buy. Maybe I can recoup a little money that way, just so I feel better about it all.
I have heard a lot of good things about their Mustang seat upholstery and that is why I bought the dash pad, but I would not recommend it.

Chris
FFRKing

Post by FFRKing »

I tried to add pictures of the dash pad installed, but I get a message that the file is too large.
If anyone could post them, I will text them to you.
I have a picture installed as it is sent, one with it pushed up into place, and one of the mounting studs.

Chris
Ranchero50

Post by Ranchero50 »

Download a picture re-sizer and reduce the resolution of your pics to 640 x 480 and they'll post up correctly. You should also be able to do it through Photobucket.

Lot of coin for something that doesn't fit well.
http://www.tmiproducts.com/1967-72-ford ... h-pad.html
'70 F-350 CS Cummins 6BT 10klb truck 64k mile Bahama Blue

Contact me for CNC Dome Lamp Bezels and Ash Tray pulls.
DuckRyder

Post by DuckRyder »

If you can’t get them resized send them to me and I will post them...
Robert
1972 F100 Ranger XLT (445/C6/9” 3.50 Truetrac)

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -- Jeff Cooper
FFRKing

Post by FFRKing »

I'm having trouble posting pics from my phone. Not too up on the iPhone.

As a side note on the dash pad, I only paid $317 with free shipping from CJ Pony Parts.

I installed 2 studs along the rear edge above the radio and ash tray last night. World of difference and it sits like it should. The factory had 6, not 5. I think I will install 2 more and call it good. It is pretty solid with the 2, but will be much better with 4.

Chris
FFRKing

Post by FFRKing »

The pics are as installed and the 4 studs tight, how it should sit, and the 4 studs on the front marked with yellow tape.
Hopefully the pics come thru.

Chris
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by sargentrs »

Not even close.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Randy
1970 F100 Sport Custom Limited LWB, 302cid, 3 on the tree. NO A/C, NO P/S, NO P/B. Currently in 1000 pcs while rebuilding. Project thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=59995 Plan: 351w, C4, LSD, pwr front disc, p/s, a/c, bucket seats, new interior and paint.
1987 F-150 XLT Lariat, 5.0/C6 auto.
Ranchero50

Post by Ranchero50 »

I don't think it's supposed to be. It mimics the '67-68 Mustang dash pad.
'70 F-350 CS Cummins 6BT 10klb truck 64k mile Bahama Blue

Contact me for CNC Dome Lamp Bezels and Ash Tray pulls.