After Market TMI Seats

Inside the cab...appearance, repair, upgrades

Moderator: FORDification

French-Ford

After Market TMI Seats

Post by French-Ford »

Has anyone used or seen in person the aftermarket seats manufactured by TMI? They look really good in the pictures but pictures can be deceiving. I'm wondering how good the quality is, do they look as good in person as they do in the pictures and how comfortable they are?

Thanks in advance for thoughts and comments from anyone who has experience with the TMI product.
TMI Seat.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
French-Ford
Fort Worth, Texas

68 F100 Ranger Trim Package - 390 -3 On The Tree and Armstrong Steering

68 F250 Camper Special - Truck Came From The Factory In 1968 With - Ranger Trim Package - 390 - C6 Automatic - Power Steering -Front Disc Brakes - Vacuum Assist Brakes - Auxiliary Fuel Tank - Air Conditioning.
Bullitt74
Preferred User
Preferred User

Re: After Market TMI Seats

Post by Bullitt74 »

Haven't seen them in person, but check out this video from CJ Pony Parts for the 64-66 F-series:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18Vq91Bpma8

Sweet, eh?
Steve F.
Red Deer, Alberta, Canada
'72 Ranger XLT, 4x2, 390-2V, C6, Wind blue & Wimbledon White (‘Smokey’)
8)
2016 F150 Lariat FX4 Supercrew, Ruby Red
Follow my build thread for 'Smokey': http://fordification.com/forum/viewtopi ... 22&t=85070
BobbyFord
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by BobbyFord »

I emailed them about some of their products and never got so much as a reply.
French-Ford

Post by French-Ford »

Thanks for your comments and the link. I actually called TMI and spoke to one of their sales personnel. The conversation did not provide any confidence nor detriment toward me making a decision.

I hope someone on here can provide some hands on experience with these seats.

Please keep the comments coming.
French-Ford
Fort Worth, Texas

68 F250 Camper Special - Truck Came From The Factory In 1968 With - Ranger Trim Package - 390 - C6 Automatic - Power Steering -Front Disc Brakes - Vacuum Assist Brakes - Auxiliary Fuel Tank - Air Conditioning.
HIO Silver
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by HIO Silver »

These are 70 Mach 1 frames with TMI Sport R foams and upholstery. Totally refinished and rebuilt the frames, new burlaps, hardware. The rebuild process is contained in my build thread linked in my signature.

I've used TMI products since the late 80s and have been very satisfied with their products.

Shown with a 96 XLT console installed.

70 F100 LB 2WD, 360FE, E-Street EFI, TKO-500, 76K original miles.. follow my rebuild: The Lo-Buck Bumpside
71 F250 LB, 2WD, 360FE, T18, PS, PB, D60 with 4.11s
73 F100 SB 4WD, 390FE, NP435, +4 on 35s

01 Ferrari 360 Spider F1
01 F150 SuperCrew Lariat 4WD
01 PT Cruiser Limited (DD)
68 Mustang
65 Mustang
French-Ford

Post by French-Ford »

Yes Sir! Very Well Done!
Thank you very much for your comments and pictures. Your input brings my confidence up a notch regarding TMI products.
French-Ford
Fort Worth, Texas

Ranchero50

Post by Ranchero50 »

Your results will depend on the effort put into them. I've seen them up at Carlisle a bunch of times, nice product. I'd imagine they are durable.
'70 F-350 CS Cummins 6BT 10klb truck 64k mile Bahama Blue

Contact me for CNC Dome Lamp Bezels and Ash Tray pulls.
Bullitt74
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by Bullitt74 »

I think LMC Truck has the best price for just the seats. If you want the bracket and console, watch for sales with CJ Pony Parts.

The truck seats I think are a common seat frame they are using for universal applications. I've been told they are loosely based on the vintage Mustang buckets, but have more modern reclining options. They also have tubes installed in the seat back frame which accept the hardware for the 2-post headrest (again, I would confirm with TMI, but that is my understanding).
Steve F.
Red Deer, Alberta, Canada
'72 Ranger XLT, 4x2, 390-2V, C6, Wind blue & Wimbledon White (‘Smokey’)
8)
2016 F150 Lariat FX4 Supercrew, Ruby Red
Follow my build thread for 'Smokey': http://fordification.com/forum/viewtopi ... 22&t=85070
French-Ford

Post by French-Ford »

Steve, thanks for the additional info. I will contact TMI again regarding the headrest.
French-Ford
Fort Worth, Texas

PetesPonies

Post by PetesPonies »

TMI is a great company. Being in the Mustang business, I can say they are high quality.
Pete's Ponies
Mustang RUSToration & Performance
FFRKing

Post by FFRKing »

I just received the Sport R dash pad for my '68 F100. I went to fit it in the truck and am highly disappointed.
First of all, there are only 4 mounting studs, compared to 13 on the original. 2 are in line with the gauge cluster opening and 2 in line with the glove box opening. They are all located in the long slotted holes toward the windshield. The rear edge, away from the windshield, hangs down low enough that it interferes with the glove box door, ash tray door and overlaps the radio bezel, and instrument cluster. I can push it up into place and it fits pretty decent, just no way to hold it there.
I just sent an email to TMI and addressed these issues, but probably wont 'hear back until next week.
I can probably put a 1" thick piece of dense foam under the pad to hold it up, but that won't hold it in place any better. I could also locate and epoxy some studs to the fiberglass shell of the cover to attach it along the rear edge and hold it up into place. This would require pulling back the leather wrap on the backside as the studs would be very close to the edge. Since these mounting holes in the dash are just round holes, not 2" long like the others, it would take some careful measuring to place them in precise spot.
I will wait to hear back from TMI before I do any mods. I'm hoping they just missed installing some of the mounting studs. If mine is complete and the way they all are, I wouldn't recommend them to anyone, as for the dash pads. I was planning on using their upholstery kit for my bucket seats.
I will update this when I hear back from them.

Chris
-1968 F100 SWB, 4.6 3V, 5R55S auto, Crown Vic front and rear.
-1968 Cougar XR-7, 351C, AOD, Explorer rear. In approx. 6,000 pieces at the moment.
French-Ford

Post by French-Ford »

Thank you Chris for this information. I'm very interested in what you learn from TMI and how they respond to your situation.
French-Ford
Fort Worth, Texas

FFRKing

Post by FFRKing »

I finally received an email from TMI today asking if I had purchased is directly from TMI or a dealer. I told them I had bought it thru CJ Pony Parts and they said that would determine who it was passed on to for review. They said I would be contacted by that person.
Tomorrow is Friday, so I'm not holding my breath it happens this week.

Chris
-1968 Cougar XR-7, 351C, AOD, Explorer rear. In approx. 6,000 pieces at the moment.
BobbyFord
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by BobbyFord »

CJ Pony Parts sucks. I dealt with them well over a year on an item subbed out. Good luck.
FFRKing

Post by FFRKing »

CJ Pony Parts is not the issue. The dash pad was purchased thru CJ, but was drop shipped directly from TMI. This issue is 100% TMI's poor design or the part was incomplete. Hopefully they will call tomorrow and I can get an answer.
I can correct the issue easily enough but TMI needs to step up, not CJ Pony Parts.

Chris