After Market TMI Seats

Inside the cab...appearance, repair, upgrades

Moderator: FORDification

FFRKing

Re: After Market TMI Seats

Post by FFRKing »

Randy,
The shape of the top of the dash has nothing to do with the fitment. The fiberglass cap that is padded and upholstered fits fine. The lack of attachment points is the issue.
I understand that you post here a lot, answer a lot of questions, and provide a lot of information. We're are all appreciative of that, including myself, but your post about "not even close" leaves me scratching my head. Nobody ever said it was a reproduction of the original. I just don't understand why this reply was made.

Chris
-1968 F100 SWB, 4.6 3V, 5R55S auto, Crown Vic front and rear.
-1968 Cougar XR-7, 351C, AOD, Explorer rear. In approx. 6,000 pieces at the moment.
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by sargentrs »

Sorry FFRKing! I meant no offense. That was the best photo I could find of the fitment. I find your aftermarket version intersting. Never seen one like that before. Looks pretty cool. Please accept my sincere apologies. :oops:
Randy
1970 F100 Sport Custom Limited LWB, 302cid, 3 on the tree. NO A/C, NO P/S, NO P/B. Currently in 1000 pcs while rebuilding. Project thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=59995 Plan: 351w, C4, LSD, pwr front disc, p/s, a/c, bucket seats, new interior and paint.
1987 F-150 XLT Lariat, 5.0/C6 auto.
FFRKing

Post by FFRKing »

Randy,
No apology needed. I just was confused by your reply.
Like I said, you are a great contributor to this forum and I do appreciate your time and effort that you put into helping everyone.
I just read the new topic about A/C line routing and figured out what the large hole in the center of the firewall was for.

Chris
-1968 Cougar XR-7, 351C, AOD, Explorer rear. In approx. 6,000 pieces at the moment.
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by sargentrs »

It's all good, Chris! Be sure and keep us updated on your dash pad dilemma. We're all here to share information and help each other out. Love these trucks! :fr:
Randy
1970 F100 Sport Custom Limited LWB, 302cid, 3 on the tree. NO A/C, NO P/S, NO P/B. Currently in 1000 pcs while rebuilding. Project thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=59995 Plan: 351w, C4, LSD, pwr front disc, p/s, a/c, bucket seats, new interior and paint.
1987 F-150 XLT Lariat, 5.0/C6 auto.
almostcopied

Post by almostcopied »

FFRKing wrote:I finally received an email from TMI today asking if I had purchased is directly from TMI or a dealer. I told them I had bought it thru CJ Pony Parts and they said that would determine who it was passed on to for review. They said I would be contacted by that person.
Tomorrow is Friday, so I'm not holding my breath it happens this week.

Chris
I called TMI this morning ( to ask where my overdue seats were) and asked them about the 4 bolt concern on the dash pad. They said that has been addressed for years and redesigned. I am not sure I want to chance purchasing this item. WHEN the Sport R seats I ordered get here....I will post pics.
It's all just a bunch of tree huggin' hippie crap!
FFRKing

Post by FFRKing »

I'm late updating this, but I did fix the issue with the dash pad.
I installed 4 more studs along the back edge. 2 above the glove box and the 2 above the radio and ashtray area. I would like to put one to the left of the instrument cluster but was a little too tight for space.
I installed it and it pulls up tight and fits like I think it should. I will probably put some kind of dense foam under it to keep it from vibrating while driving.
As far as TMI stating that they took care of this years ago, a year in California must be really short. I spoke with Earnest in Customer Service in May and he stated that it only came with 4 studs at that time. After I fixed mine, I should have followed up with him, but I really feel like contacting him is a waste of time. I have better luck talking to my Beagle.
After buying their black dash pad with the red stitching, I'm somewhat committed to getting the matching seat upholstery from them also. I have read and heard from people that say the upholstery is top notch. This makes me believe that maybe they just dropped the ball on the dash pad as it isn't such a high volume item as the seats.
Keeping my fingers crossed, and I will update when that happens.
Currently wiring up the 2006 4.6 3V engine and trans. 72 wires connected and about 35 to go.

Chris
almostcopied

Post by almostcopied »

[/image]
French-Ford wrote:Has anyone used or seen in person the aftermarket seats manufactured by TMI? They look really good in the pictures but pictures can be deceiving. I'm wondering how good the quality is, do they look as good in person as they do in the pictures and how comfortable they are?

Thanks in advance for thoughts and comments from anyone who has experience with the TMI product.

TMI Seat.jpg
OK FrenchFord I finally received my seats from TMI. I have a few facts both good and bad.
1. They were late. Between 2 and 3 weeks late.
2. They are magnificent! The upholstery work is great. Even for vinyl.
3. I paid over $1800
4. I have been asking about the door panels and dash pad over and over and I keep getting the lame response that they forgot to ask.
5. The metal seat mounting bracket...is flawed. While it bolts in correctly-ish. I was only able to get 7 of the 8 bolts in. I also had to drill a new hole for the sliders to mount.
6.The seat had to be placed as far forward as possible to get the seat away from the back of the cab for the bolt holes to line up with the bracket. It will not go forward any further. Makes having adjustable seats pointless.
7. because the seat sits too far back ( and it wont go any further forward ) my wife cannot reach the pedals to drive ( i said some was good lol)
8. the seats squeak as I drive down the road as it rubs on the back cab. see problem above.
9. The angle of the seats and back are less than 90 degrees. You are sitting straight up. I hope none of you are as "chubby" as I am or like to lean back just a touch as this is not possible without the seat being able to slide forward some.
10. the seats sits much higher than stock and now my head / hat hits the roof. And you will need a smaller steering wheel as there is no longer and space for my thighs.
11. The seat is really comfy! the padding is thick and the side bolsters really help. A + for the design. Having to sit straight up...negates most of the comfort.
12. I get compliments like crazy. The choices of colors of the materials is the best thing about TMI. They had a material in stock that matched my paint color perfectly. They sent samples for free.
Overall....
My wife is thrilled.
I am satisfied.
If the seat bracket issue gets resolved....I will be thrilled as well. Most all of the negatives were in that bracket system.
I Have some photos prepared and will now try my hand at posting them. I hope my experience has some value for you
Chris
almostcopied

Post by almostcopied »

For what it's worth...... Here are my TMI seats installed
seat.jpg
seat.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
FFRKing

Post by FFRKing »

Revisiting this old bread, almostcopied, how do like the seats now that you’ve had them for a while? What size is your steering wheel? Would the stock wheel be too big? I fairly thin but don’t want to be crowded by the wheel.
I finally mounted my dash pad for the last time and like the way it looks. I would do it again knowing what I know now, realizing I just need to correct someone else’s shortcomings. It really was only about $8 and a little time. It was just irritating that they can’t do it right and act like there isn’t an issue.
I’ll try to post a picture but may wait until I have the radio and a/c controls installed.
I have the Dakota Digital VHX gauges installed and must say they that I really like them!
I hope to fire up the 4.6 3V engine in the next few days.

Chris
DuckRyder

Post by DuckRyder »

Yes, I would really like to hear more about the seats and see pictures of the dash pad...

Almost copied looks like you have the bench, I wonder if the buckets would be the same and also if it would be possible to mount the buckets with the factory bucket seat brackets...

I’m considering going all in on this - so some real world experience is invaluable...
Robert
1972 F100 Ranger XLT (445/C6/9” 3.50 Truetrac)

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -- Jeff Cooper
DuckRyder

Post by DuckRyder »

Anyone have any updates on this?

I e-mailed TMI and got no response (asking if “suede” is really suede or synthetic) I’m considering the buckets...
Robert

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -- Jeff Cooper
DuckRyder

Post by DuckRyder »

Almost copied, did you get your issues resolved?
Robert

DuckRyder

Post by DuckRyder »

And has anyone used the door panels? Do you have to drill the holes out like on the 66 install (not drilling holes out)...
Robert

cstoyer

Post by cstoyer »

I would like to know as well about any dealings with TMI. I have tried to contact them several times about panels, bucket seats, visors and posible material for headliner to match, but they havent responded.

CStoyer
68 F250 4x4
DuckRyder

Post by DuckRyder »

Interestingly enough, I got a reply to one of my messages today.

I’ll reply to it and see if I can get some answers.
Robert