Aftermarket Steering Wheel for column shift

Inside the cab...appearance, repair, upgrades

Moderator: FORDification

Hoseguy1

Aftermarket Steering Wheel for column shift

Post by Hoseguy1 »

Replacing the original steering wheel on my three speed column shift 68 F100.

Does anyone know who's steering wheel and if there is special spacers needed
HIO Silver
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: Aftermarket Steering Wheel for column shift

Post by HIO Silver »

Grant Products, Biller Specialties, many others.

Spacers no. Adapters yes.
70 F100 LB 2WD, 360FE, E-Street EFI, TKO-500, 76K original miles.. follow my rebuild: The Lo-Buck Bumpside
71 F250 LB, 2WD, 360FE, T18, PS, PB, D60 with 4.11s
73 F100 SB 4WD, 390FE, NP435, +4 on 35s

01 Ferrari 360 Spider F1
01 F150 SuperCrew Lariat 4WD
01 PT Cruiser Limited (DD)
68 Mustang
65 Mustang
colnago
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by colnago »

Hope you have power steering, if you go aftermarket. There's a reason the stock steering wheels are so big.

Joseph
"Sugar", my 1967 Ford F250 2WD Camper Special, 352FE, Ford iron "T" Intake with 1405 Edelbrock, Duraspark II Ignition, C6 transmission, front disc brake conversion.
jzjames
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by jzjames »

colnago wrote:Hope you have power steering, if you go aftermarket. There's a reason the stock steering wheels are so big.
Its a good arm workout -- if youre up to it.
Take your time getting it straightened out, pulling out of the parking lot.
People in their cocoon cars will be watching you in awe. :lol:
colnago
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by colnago »

jzjames wrote:People in their cocoon cars will be watching you in awe. :lol:
And I thought those hand gestures meant something else! :lol:

Joseph
"Sugar", my 1967 Ford F250 2WD Camper Special, 352FE, Ford iron "T" Intake with 1405 Edelbrock, Duraspark II Ignition, C6 transmission, front disc brake conversion.
jzjames
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by jzjames »

Never seen that :lol: I crank that 14" Grant wheel in my SB Ford, and people in their turd cars just wait and stare :lol:
(I'd like to drive through Ridgecrest again someday. Spent some time there back in the '80s, on Graaf) :thup:
Maximus

Post by Maximus »

its ironic that I converted my truck to PS and use the stock wheel, but my old mustang is manual and it has a Grant on it. its NOT easy to 3pt turn, but not bad if you know to try and always keep it rolling a little.

Parts are so available its hard not to change these trucks to PS, although my 3spd column was not easy to find with PS, ALL my other parts either came from a parts yard or my local autozone. used 80s brackets for pump...
1972 Ford F100 SWB Styleside 300ci I6 3OTT
1965 Mustang 289 T5 4 Weel Disc Brakes
1972 Chevy Blazer 4x4 350/350
1955 Chevy Big Window SWB Stepside
colnago
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by colnago »

jzjames wrote:I'd like to drive through Ridgecrest again someday. Spent some time there back in the '80s, on Graaf :thup:
Hey, I lived on Graaf from '85 to '89! Good days!

Joseph
MadJoe

Post by MadJoe »

Back in the early/mid '90's, I had a 1979 Ford Granada with a 302 that I had put a tiny little GT steering wheel in (the Pep Boys special), and tossed out the old one just in time for my power steering pump to leak all of it's fluid and seize. Being a broke teenager, I figured I wouldn't "waste" my pennies on a new pump* and just drove it like that for over a year, even with a severely sprained wrist for a few weeks.

*The original pump had seized because the hose going to the rack was resting against the exhaust manifold and melted it. Then, when all the fluid leaked out/burned away, I just let it run without fluid until it seized.
The reason the hose rested against the manifold was because in order to get the 302 in my Granada, I had had my High School's Vo-Tech Automotive shop remove the 4.1l I6 it came with and install a 302 I had bought for $75 out of another Granada. They apparently used the power steering hoses from the I6 instead of the ones that came with the 302. :doh:
The reason I replaced the 4.1l, other than being able to get a 302 for $75 and the Vo-Tech being willing to do the swap for free, is it had burned through its oil rings and a cop, after asking me how I was able to see his lights through my smokescreen, had politely asked (he really was polite about it) that I park it and never drive it again.
1971 F-350 DRW SWB Stake Body
360 FE
C6 transmission
OEM disc brakes
OEM power steering
Dana 70 4.10 rear end
Maximus

Post by Maximus »

MadJoe wrote:Back in the early/mid '90's, I had a 1979 Ford Granada with a 302 that I had put a tiny little GT steering wheel in (the Pep Boys special), and tossed out the old one just in time for my power steering pump to leak all of it's fluid and seize. Being a broke teenager, I figured I wouldn't "waste" my pennies on a new pump* and just drove it like that for over a year, even with a severely sprained wrist for a few weeks.

*The original pump had seized because the hose going to the rack was resting against the exhaust manifold and melted it. Then, when all the fluid leaked out/burned away, I just let it run without fluid until it seized.
The reason the hose rested against the manifold was because in order to get the 302 in my Granada, I had had my High School's Vo-Tech Automotive shop remove the 4.1l I6 it came with and install a 302 I had bought for $75 out of another Granada. They apparently used the power steering hoses from the I6 instead of the ones that came with the 302. :doh:
The reason I replaced the 4.1l, other than being able to get a 302 for $75 and the Vo-Tech being willing to do the swap for free, is it had burned through its oil rings and a cop, after asking me how I was able to see his lights through my smokescreen, had politely asked (he really was polite about it) that I park it and never drive it again.
HA!! :lol:
1972 Ford F100 SWB Styleside 300ci I6 3OTT
1965 Mustang 289 T5 4 Weel Disc Brakes
1972 Chevy Blazer 4x4 350/350
1955 Chevy Big Window SWB Stepside