dash lights

Inside the cab...appearance, repair, upgrades

Moderator: FORDification

BobB

dash lights

Post by BobB »

my 72 f 100 dash lights only work on half of the cluster and also are very dim I think
it may have something to do with the circurt board has anyone else had this issue and
how was it solved ?
thanks
Bob B
Ranchero50

Re: dash lights

Post by Ranchero50 »

Yeah, pop it apart and clean the connections. I used some dialectic grease at the terminal points like I do for all my connections and the copper foil lifted from the plastic so don't do that. A pencil eraser works good to clean dirty connections. Of course clean the bulbs too.
'70 F-350 CS Cummins 6BT 10klb truck 64k mile Bahama Blue

Contact me for CNC Dome Lamp Bezels and Ash Tray pulls.
TNIceWolf
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by TNIceWolf »

If you do have to replace the PCB use caution. Yours is a 72 and uses the most common board.But if I remember correctly there is another board used in 70 or 71,No telling what some previous owner has swapped out so running down the number for the board might save some headaches if its actually faulty.
Find 'em....Buy 'em....Fix 'em.....Drive 'em....Love 'em

HHC 4/67AR.... Bandits.....88-92

Presently in the stable
1969 Ford F-350 DRW
1989 Chevy S-10 Tahoe ( It gets me to work and back and fetches parts and groceries)
1981 Buick Regal ( My deceased uncles last project/driver....renamed project Regal Eagle to be finished in his honor)
1990 Ford F-150 ( Miss Yvonnes Daily Driver )
My F-350 project http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=41744
jlb

Post by jlb »

Mine had the same problem, but when I took it apart to install the new bulbs.. the circuit board broke.. I had to install a new circuit board and reg.. $150.00 or so. If I had to do it again, I'd leave it alone..
BobB

Post by BobB »

I just took the cluster out yesterday cleaned all connections and bulb holders don't know if this will
work where would I get a new circuit board if I need one
thanks
Bob B
Lone Ranger
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Lone Ranger »

On eBay guys ask a lot But at least they usual have them. Maybe from a junk yard
1972 f100 4x4 4 inch lift with dump box kit-sold
1969 f250 4x4 highboy in progress.
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=85251
Kyle
BobB

Post by BobB »

I found some corrosion around the bulb sockets also I used a eraser to clean the main plug where it plugs
into the back of the cluster also used a small amount of non curing clear silicone on connections I
would like to know if LED bulbs are available so far I have dash lights
thanks
Bob B
MadJoe

Post by MadJoe »

BobB wrote:I found some corrosion around the bulb sockets also I used a eraser to clean the main plug where it plugs
into the back of the cluster also used a small amount of non curing clear silicone on connections I
would like to know if LED bulbs are available so far I have dash lights
thanks
Bob B
Bob,

Are these the LEDs you're looking for? I put a set of the Factory color Extreme series in my '71, and they work well. However, if you can swing the extra for the Elites, I would.

The set they sell for the '71 (which is the same as the one for the '72) doesn't include 1 bulb my truck needed, which I think is for an idiot light for the engine, and the high beams LED is the wrong color (my truck's indicator is red, but the bulb in the pack was blue. Is yours red or blue?). I ended up using one of the old bulbs for the high beams and the other indicator (it's never come on in my truck, and I haven't looked close enough to see what it says if it ever does). The kit came with 2 white (2700k) LEDs for general illumination, 2 green for the directionals (made a huge difference! I've yet to drive down the road with the directional going since changing these out, did it constantly before), and a red for the ALT indicator.
1971 F-350 DRW SWB Stake Body
360 FE
C6 transmission
OEM disc brakes
OEM power steering
Dana 70 4.10 rear end
BobB

Post by BobB »

I went to my local car quest got LED lites to replace the 194 bulbs in my cluster the cost was ten dollars each
a little pricey but work fine
thanks
Bob B
duaneo
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by duaneo »

with the exception of messing with the gauges, I pretty much completely redid my instrument cluster. New bezel, new plexiglass cover, new circuit board, new led lights. I made the mistake of using an air gun to blow some dust off the black shroud, and blew the paint off too, had to re-paint it. :) I got my parts at LMC and Dennis Carpenter. It was a little expensive, but I have no regrets. It looks great! :)

Cheers,
Duane

1971 F100 - Ugly on the outside, but purty under the hood...
1968 Chevrolet Impala - Family car since 1970, My car since I was 16, in need of bodywork/paint, but otherwise straight.
2004 Mini Cooper S - Daily driver and grown up go-kart