template for front speaker replacement?

Inside the cab...appearance, repair, upgrades

Moderator: FORDification

rocketBox

template for front speaker replacement?

Post by rocketBox »

I'm working on getting things gathered up for a stereo replacement. I have the Volvo mount kit, the receiver unit... working on speakers now. I was thinking of replacing the 1 front speaker under the grille with something like 2 4" speakers... anybody have a template to mount the speakers to and just install the whole assembly? For the rear I was just going to install 2 6x9 4 ways in boxes and rest them on the gas tank behind the seat... thoughts on this setup?
jzjames
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: template for front speaker replacement?

Post by jzjames »

I'm not up on sound system speaker placement in vehicles, but for our trucks I would think a high up rear speaker set up would sound better than directly behind your back on top of the gas tank.

I went old school for my 67 and just replaced the front dash speaker with the closest sized modern speaker I could find, had to adjust the mounting of it a little, but not much. I think I used zip ties to mount under the dash pad. The mounting holes were pretty close etc.

Sounds good and like I said "old school style" for an old truck.
Our trucks are on the loud side in the cab unless you've got a lot of tricked out sound deadening in there.
Chaseman

Post by Chaseman »

that's exactly what I did , my two 4 inch speakers mount right up where the old single did. Same mounts and everything. No template though , I made a frame for the 2 four inch speakers and used the original arms on the old speakers mount. I might have pics , lemme look.
Edhouse

Post by Edhouse »

I'd be interested in pics of that. I just picked up a 69 F250 with no radio or speaker. I took a look under the dash and I assume I'm missing something for mounting of the speaker. I'm just going with a simple dual coil speaker from LMC and a retrosound radio because I'm not keen on cutting into the doors or fabbing up a speaker enclosure. I'm also not sure if I want to drop the coin on one of those Highliner headliners just yet.

Ed
1969 F250, 360 cid, 4 speed. "Big Red Stump Puller"
1965 Volkswagen 11-Window Microbus. 1600cc.
2014 Jeep JK Unlimited.
almostcopied

Post by almostcopied »

I found a direct replacement "stereo" speaker on LMC. It fit right in. all the holes lined up and now I have stereo in my 72. The sound bounces off the windshield and I can hear better than ever. I am now removing speakers behind seats and 6 x 9 in the doors. I also used the volvo Din kit as was suggested here on another post. Worked great and looks nice. I really appreciate the forums here.
It's all just a bunch of tree huggin' hippie crap!
colnago
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by colnago »

In my '67, the previous owner had cut holes in the kick panels in front of the doors. I replaced the speakers with something newer. It sounds pretty good unless I go faster than 45. With the 4.10 rear end, it gets a bit noisy in the cab if I go faster. The best thing is, I didn’t have to spend a lot of money to get a high-end stereo.

Joseph
"Sugar", my 1967 Ford F250 2WD Camper Special, 352FE, Ford iron "T" Intake with 1405 Edelbrock, Duraspark II Ignition, C6 transmission, front disc brake conversion.
gritingle

Post by gritingle »

What part # on that direct replacement stereo speaker