Light for the gear display?

Inside the cab...appearance, repair, upgrades

Moderator: FORDification

mulletmobile

Light for the gear display?

Post by mulletmobile »

For the automatic trucks, is there a light that illuminates the window on the steering column that helps to tell you what gear you are in when the lights are on? I have looked around, but I do not see anything showing on the column diagrams I have looked at. I have to yank the steering wheel to replace the turn signal switch and replace a broken gear display window and wanted to know if there was a bulb I could replace while I was inside.
1971 F-250, Wimbeldon White, 360, PB, dealer add-on A/C (A.R.A. brand), 1970 coded interior (23 - Med. blue/Light blue) with 42,000 miles.
Busboy
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Re: Light for the gear display?

Post by Busboy »

I've wondered this myself. I don't believe they were equipped with one. My 69 doesn't have one and doesn't appear to have been equipped with one. I've seen where someone added one externally to the column. It looked hideous.
1967 F-100 4x4 custom cab.
Another 67 F-100 4x4 custom cab.
2016 F-150 Eco-Boost 2.7 liter. (It will smoke the tires!)
1972 F-350 Sport Custom cab & chassis.
1972 F-250 Explorer Special, Camper Special.
1971 F-100 custom. 302, C-4, p.s. p.b. factory 65 amp alternator with transistorized voltage regulator.
mulletmobile

Post by mulletmobile »

Busboy thanks for the info. Seems like it would have been simple to do it, but it was a truck and not much creature feature amenities were added then. Although given the gimmicky stuff that came out in the late 60's and 70's, I am sure there were some great JC Whitney type features added. I have not seen any external lights added to them and now I will subconsciously be doing so just so I can start a "The oddest add-ons you have seen" thread. And you know what, I don't have any right now but I am going to start that thread just to see what is out there!
1971 F-250, Wimbeldon White, 360, PB, dealer add-on A/C (A.R.A. brand), 1970 coded interior (23 - Med. blue/Light blue) with 42,000 miles.
SmokeyBear
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by SmokeyBear »

There was one on my 72. There should be one on your 71. It's located right under the clear plastic window.
70 F-100 XLT
"Christine" Gone but not forgotten.
72 F-100 Ranger XLT