Changing the color of my interior

Inside the cab...appearance, repair, upgrades

Moderator: FORDification

68rookie

Changing the color of my interior

Post by 68rookie »

Can my dash pad be painted? I've read a little on here about dye, mine is currently a dark blue and I'm wanting it black. The dash pad is in very good shape except for the speaker grill has a crack in it, not sure what to do about that. Also my truck came with some crappy almost card board like door panels, was thinking about getting some steel ones? Carpet of rubber floor mat?? Lots of questions!!
My goal in life is to be as good a person as my dog already thinks I am!
1968 F-100 Longbed 390/C6
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: Changing the color of my interior

Post by sargentrs »

Dyeing the dash pad black should be pretty easy and come out good. Not sure what to do about your speaker grill. I'm putting steel '68 door panels in place of my originals on my '70. The old ones were pretty much shot. Depending on how you intend to use your truck on the mat vs carpet. Carpet would improve the sound factor especially if you put down some deadener and insulation. Here's what I did http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... hp?t=72981 and here's how it turned out http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... &start=450, about 1/2 way down the page.
Randy
1970 F100 Sport Custom Limited LWB, 302cid, 3 on the tree. NO A/C, NO P/S, NO P/B. Currently in 1000 pcs while rebuilding. Project thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=59995 Plan: 351w, C4, LSD, pwr front disc, p/s, a/c, bucket seats, new interior and paint.
1987 F-150 XLT Lariat, 5.0/C6 auto.
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

Post by FORDification »

Yeah, dyeing the dashpad should be fairly easy, as long as it's completely clean first. Proper prep is the key. Depending on your plans for this truck, whether it's something you're really fixing up nice or just wanting to do a mild clean-up, you might consider looking into the ABS dashpad covers that snap on over the top of the existing dashpad. There are several places to get these...Coverlay is one company that comes to mind. You can hit Google for additional outlets. Another option is to remove the dashpad completely, so that it's just bare painted steel. Many people do this and love the look.

As for the door panels, it's been a while since I looked at a '70-'72 truck door, so I can't remember if the door is drilled for the steel panels...I'm thinking they're not. However, drilling a few holes to mount the earlier panels is pretty easy.

As for the floor...again, it depends on your plans for the truck and how you use it. If it's strictly a work truck, then rubber floor mats make cleanup a breeze. But carpeting (and perhaps some underlay too) does help dampen road noise and improve the overall appearance.
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
'67 F-100 2WD SWB ~ '69 F-100 4WD SWB w/7" chop ~ 1975 F-250 Ranger XLT Supercab Camper Special
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
-> Posting and you! <-a MUST watch for all!!
68rookie

Post by 68rookie »

Not really after a show truck, just want a nice cruiser. I'll probably go with carpet on the floor. I wanted to try and get some steel door panels because the ones that I have currently are like card board and warped. I've thought about the coverlay for my dashpad, do they look pretty good???
My goal in life is to be as good a person as my dog already thinks I am!
1968 F-100 Longbed 390/C6
lennyp
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by lennyp »

I painted my dash pad black with vinyl paint and for the speaker opening I used a metal speaker grill.
Last edited by lennyp on Fri Oct 28, 2016 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

Post by FORDification »

I've never seen one in person so I have no personal experience, but most people say they look great when first installed, though aren't as resistant to UV light as the manufacturers sometimes tout. I've also head reports that some of the cheaper ones will get misshapen over time from temperature extremes.
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
'67 F-100 2WD SWB ~ '69 F-100 4WD SWB w/7" chop ~ 1975 F-250 Ranger XLT Supercab Camper Special
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
-> Posting and you! <-a MUST watch for all!!
Ferris95

Post by Ferris95 »

Has anyone ever dyed a brand new neutral colored Dashboard from places like LMC or AutoKrafters? Is it the same process like painting it with SEM Vinyl Coating?
553F6D70-79AC-46E4-B0CD-AE3A81F85AF1.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
68 F-250 Ranger Camper Special 390 FE
Retired Army