Snaps around rear window

Inside the cab...appearance, repair, upgrades

Moderator: FORDification

Big specht

Snaps around rear window

Post by Big specht »

I've bought two of these trucks and both trucks have snaps around the rear window what are the snaps for?
jimmy828
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: Snaps around rear window

Post by jimmy828 »

If on outside of truck, possibly for an insulator that goes between cab and camper shell to keep wind from entering when both cab and shell have sliding windows. I always thought that was one of the coolest ideas back in the day.
Big specht

Post by Big specht »

Nope on the inside of the cab I will try and get pics tonight
Canonman67
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Canonman67 »

They also used to do the same thing with cabover campers to provide a kind of passthrough between the cab and camper. I remember them being fastened on the inside of the cab. That might be what you have. Are the trucks you bought both 3/4 ton?
Big specht

Post by Big specht »

Ones a sport 1/2 ton and the other is a 3/4ton camper special
cstoyer

Post by cstoyer »

The cab I purchased from Arizona had the snaps on the inside. I don't much about the truck is was removed from since the door frame sticker is faded so bad you can't read it. I do know it was a 2WD (Rear cab mount hole location) Manual Transmission truck (Foot Controls Still in it) and it had AC (Plumbing still there). It was also some edition truck form the cowl rivet holes for badge that was no longer there.
68 F250 4x4
mulletmobile

Post by mulletmobile »

The insulators would sometimes be fastened on the inside of the cab if the rear window was removed. This style was done so they would protect anyone/thing going through from getting injured/damaged when passing through the opening to the camper.
1971 F-250, Wimbeldon White, 360, PB, dealer add-on A/C (A.R.A. brand), 1970 coded interior (23 - Med. blue/Light blue) with 42,000 miles.
brettpt

Post by brettpt »

Big specht wrote:I've bought two of these trucks and both trucks have snaps around the rear window what are the snaps for?
Camper Boot. I just bought a 68 F100 Ranger that has them. Unsightly IMHO but historicaly Cool I guess. And good to know I'm not the only one.
1968 F100 360 2bbl/ 3 spd Manual 2wd Wimbledon White/ Red interior
Big specht

Post by Big specht »

At least Im not the only one wit these snaps around the window. Does anybody have a pic of the seal that goes on there?
DisneysPatB
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by DisneysPatB »

My 1970 F250 Camper Special has them too. Would love to see pics of the seal too.
1970 F250 460 C6 - Project - Currently not running.
1999 Dodge Durango SLT 4 x 4 5.9 Magnum -not running.
1999 Toyota Corolla - Daily Driver.

https://fordification.com/forum/app.php ... y/album/43
lilorbie

Post by lilorbie »

there is no insulator with these snaps. the vinyl part that came thru the window opening was called a "boot" not sure why but the guy who put one in my Dads 67 f-100 that he bought new said that,s what they where called. also cstoyer those holes that you said where drilled on the cowl where most likely for shocks that ran down from the cab over camper to the cowl. they where supposed to keep the cab over from bouncing up and down when you where driving. Dads truck had those also.