New Gauge Glare

Inside the cab...appearance, repair, upgrades

Moderator: FORDification

rudsaki

New Gauge Glare

Post by rudsaki »

I installed one of those billet gauge panels with Autometer gauges. The glare is really bad making most of them unreadable during the day.
Wondering if anyone else has had this problem. Thought maybe the glass bezels could be flipped around? Blocking shade in back window? Super dark tint?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dirty Offio

Re: New Gauge Glare

Post by Dirty Offio »

Is the problem glare on the gauge faces, or glare off the aluminum?

If it is glare off the aluminum, you could mask off the gauges and hit it with a couple coats of plastidip, to "smoke it" a bit.

If it is the gauges, window tint would help alot. I have 5% limo tint on my rear window, and 35% on my side windows in lil' Varmit and I doubt it would glare in there unless the widow was rolled down. The Beast does not have a back window (filled in with steel), but the side windows are untinted. Without the back glass adding to the glare, I don't think it would be too bad....never had a problem with my column mounted Autometer tach.....

Another option would be to check with a Big Truck (peterbilt, etc) accessory shop. They make gauge "hoods" that go over the top part of the gauge to shield it from the sun...you could give those a try.

Hope this helps!

Offio
When in doubt, hit the gas. It may not be the right answer, but at least it ends the suspense!!
The only substitute for Cubic Inches, is Cubic Money!
1967 F-100 swb "Varmit"
1968 F-250 4dr lwb "Beast"
1976 F-350 drw 460
1977 Club Wagon
1986 F-250 lwb
rudsaki

Re: New Gauge Glare

Post by rudsaki »

3 month delayed thanks!
It is the lenses. Your hood suggestion got me searching and here is one idea:
http://www.autometer.com/2-1-16-angle-r ... -of-3.html

I would have to commit to some grinding of the aluminum though. It does have a newer tinted slider window in back, but could go darker and the side windows have no tint. The tint would be a simpler place to start!
Rod