sound deadening material

Inside the cab...appearance, repair, upgrades

Moderator: FORDification

jefft

sound deadening material

Post by jefft »

I am really confused on this and everyone has an opinion. I want something that will control the sound and heat in my 69 f100 and not smell. Money is not the main factor but a factor. How much will I need. Any suggestions?
Canonman67
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Re: sound deadening material

Post by Canonman67 »

I used EZ Cool insulation from here. http://www.lobucrod.com/index.html I think I bought 80 sqft and have used one roll and about four feet of the second to do the flor and firewall. They now offer a 100 sqft deal which would be more than enough to do the average cab. Image

Unfortunately I don't have a clear picture of the floor but these should give you an idea of how it looks. Image

This stuff molds really well with just enough give to form over the ridges and valleys of the floor. I used 1 full can and have started the second of 3M90 spray adhesive to glue it down. I'm planning to use the rest of the remaining roll to do the roof, part way up the back wall and a layer on the door skins.
Last edited by Canonman67 on Sun Feb 14, 2016 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by sargentrs »

Another vote for the EZ Cool. I also used Lowe's Peel 'n Seal under it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Randy
1970 F100 Sport Custom Limited LWB, 302cid, 3 on the tree. NO A/C, NO P/S, NO P/B. Currently in 1000 pcs while rebuilding. Project thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=59995 Plan: 351w, C4, LSD, pwr front disc, p/s, a/c, bucket seats, new interior and paint.
1987 F-150 XLT Lariat, 5.0/C6 auto.
48prerunner
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by 48prerunner »

Is that easy cool the bubble wrap type stuff? Like they use for water heaters? I used that in my 37 I dont think it did anything. On my 69 I used fatmat worked real nice, just buy a better roller. I the put Image

Ultra touch on top of it, bought it from homdepot.com. Then my carpet I ordered the mass backing option. Anything that separates the metal and controls vibration will help. It all comes down to what you want to do with the truck if you are going high end audio then you need to fix every panel. I know headliner makes a huge difference, I didnt have one in the 37 at first. In the 69 i did fat mat and the the ultra touch. Made a headliner out of hardboard and covered it with ostrich.
jefft

Post by jefft »

Will the ez cool address sound or should I also use a material like dynamat or fatmat.
Canonman67
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Canonman67 »

It does address sound. Like Sargentars I also used a peel and seal product under the EZ Cool. Don't forget that your vinyl or carpet will also probably come with a backing that will also help.
jefft

Post by jefft »

I am going with a combination of Dynamat with ez cool on top. Do you have to have full coverage with the dynamat? It is expensivel I have plenty of the ez cool.I pulled out the carpet and there was a mastic material that is not stuck down. Pulled that out and had a little surface rust on the pass side which I removed and topped with POR. What do you suggest for the doors and roof. Do I need the dynamat for those. The doors sound like drums when you close them.
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by sargentrs »

Seriously consider the Lowe's Peel 'n Seal http://www.lowes.com/pd_154017-81326-PS ... Id=1018733 2 rolls did almost the whole floor from the firewall seam up the back of the cab. I needed about 1/2 a roll to finish the back of the cab. Lays down clean and doesn't have a heavy asphalt smell. Make and get the real Peel 'n Seal, not the variety sold at Home Depot. The HD stuff is asphalt based, gooey and smelly.
Randy
1970 F100 Sport Custom Limited LWB, 302cid, 3 on the tree. NO A/C, NO P/S, NO P/B. Currently in 1000 pcs while rebuilding. Project thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=59995 Plan: 351w, C4, LSD, pwr front disc, p/s, a/c, bucket seats, new interior and paint.
1987 F-150 XLT Lariat, 5.0/C6 auto.
Jacksdad
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Jacksdad »

Sargentrs - I picked up a couple of rolls of Peel & Seal last week after reading your recommendation. Great price, and Lowes had plenty in stock. As well as my F350, I have a '68 Baja Bug that's going to insulated with it too. It's pretty loud (no back seat), so it should be a great test of it's sound deadening properties. I'll let you know - and thanks for the tip :thup:

1971 DRW F350 cab and chassis with an Open Road motorhome conversion, Dana 70, 352 (originally 390)/C6, PS, power front discs, and 159" w/b.
jefft

Post by jefft »

I will get the lowes for the roof and doors. I was afraid of the asphalt base. Thanks for the tip. I will let you know how it goes.
dailyf100

Post by dailyf100 »

Because I'm building a truck with a rattly ole 4BT cummins I decided to go overboard with the sound deadeners. I did spray on second skin audio, fat mat, ez cool and 1/4" closed cell foam. The closed cell foam BY FAR made the biggest difference in noise reduction.
Bill Ramsey
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by Bill Ramsey »

I used peel n seal on floors, firewall, back wall and ceiling. works great.
1968 Highboy
1976 Highboy
1969 F250 Camper Special
1941 Dodge Power Wagon
1930 Model A Coupe (Hotrod)
1962 Fairlane 500 Sports Coupe
VW Sandrails
Honda ATC's
36' Diesel Pusher for roughing it.
Jacksdad
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Jacksdad »

Bill Ramsey wrote:I used peel n seal on floors, firewall, back wall and ceiling. works great.
Bill - I know from personal experience that it gets a little toasty in Ramona. Any problems with the Peel & Seal not sticking to the roof when it gets hot?

1971 DRW F350 cab and chassis with an Open Road motorhome conversion, Dana 70, 352 (originally 390)/C6, PS, power front discs, and 159" w/b.
Ranchero50

Post by Ranchero50 »

I smeared a layer of roofing tar on my cab when I redid the floors. Covered it with wax paper. Made one heck of a mess until it cured but really seems to have done a good job. Fraction of the cost of the peal and seal stuff but it took a long time to cure. I also did the budget lizard skin stuff. White roofing paint with microscopic glass bubbles mixed in. That stuff was amazing for heat rejection. Noise not so much. Need density to control noise.
'70 F-350 CS Cummins 6BT 10klb truck 64k mile Bahama Blue

Contact me for CNC Dome Lamp Bezels and Ash Tray pulls.
Jacksdad
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Jacksdad »

Ranchero50 wrote: Need density to control noise.
That's pretty much what I've been seeing while researching sound deadeners. I want to make it a little more civilized, but the bump's not as much of a concern as my Baja bug right now - that thing's going to deafen me if I don't do something soon.
Thanks, Ranchero50 :thup: