Where to put speakers without center console or removing kick panel vents

Inside the cab...appearance, repair, upgrades

Moderator: FORDification

67swbranger

Where to put speakers without center console or removing kick panel vents

Post by 67swbranger »

Looking for speaker location ideas. I want to keep the fresh air vent *kick panels*. Just smoothed my dash and don't want to cut speaker holes in it. Looking for ideas, fresh air might have to go... Thanks ! :thup:
Bumpside Ford truck, made out of an 1967 f100, a 1972 f100, a 1978 lincoln, a 1987 f250, a 1993 crown victoria, a 2003 crown victora, and a whole lot of cutoff wheels and mig wire. Doesnt have many uses but is amazing at confusing the guy behind the parts store counter
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: Where to put speakers without center console or removing kick panel vents

Post by sargentrs »

I made some wedge shaped boxes to mount (4) 6x9's for my truck. Sorry, don't have any photos and they're long gone now. Anyway, 2 were mounted right under the front of the bench seat and the others mounted on the outside of the seat where the slope is from the rocker up. Kinda like you came straight down from the front and side of the seat, down to the floor. I've also seen (can't find the pics) where a member mounted some 4" rounds on plates under the dash, laying horizontal. For my project, I'm looking at maybe the Highliner ceiling panel with overhead console and speakers and also somehow filling up the cavities in the back corners of the cab.
Randy
1970 F100 Sport Custom Limited LWB, 302cid, 3 on the tree. NO A/C, NO P/S, NO P/B. Currently in 1000 pcs while rebuilding. Project thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=59995 Plan: 351w, C4, LSD, pwr front disc, p/s, a/c, bucket seats, new interior and paint.
1987 F-150 XLT Lariat, 5.0/C6 auto.
towtruckerfour
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by towtruckerfour »

I have 6x9s in my door panels and 6.5s in my headliner.
Troy
Why is it that the trucks are always the best running vehicles in the family?
Ford means "found on road daily"
70 F100 Custom-352 w/68 Highboy 4x4 frame. My play/project truck
70 F250 Explorer-390/C6 auto. My work truck
04 Mitsubishi montero-family car
Ranchero50

Post by Ranchero50 »

Mine are going under the seat. Tweeters should project up the back and bass should project straight up. :D
'70 F-350 CS Cummins 6BT 10klb truck 64k mile Bahama Blue

Contact me for CNC Dome Lamp Bezels and Ash Tray pulls.
Wilfred of Ivanhoe

Post by Wilfred of Ivanhoe »

If you don't have an in cab gas tank that could offer you some space behind the seat. Sounds like the rear corners of the cab and under the dash have already been mentioned. Someone else may be more knowledgeable on this, but aren't the fresh air vents a little risky for electronics. I thought rain water, etc could get in the void that the fresh air vents are tied to? :?
1953 F100 (Waitint for attention)
1969 F100 LWB w/ 72 grille (Daily driver & work truck)
1969 F100 LWB Parts truck
1971 F100 SSWB 4x4 (Current Project)
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport (Actually the wife's)
Nitekruizer
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Nitekruizer »

- Home made rectangular boxes mounted to the inside of doors. Approximately 3"x 11"x 7", just deep enough for a 5 1/4" Woofer and 2" Tweeter. Sound good, but disadvantage is you will probably hit your knees. :(

-Two 6 1/2" Woofers under the seat and installed Crossovers at 400 Hz for the door mounted boxes. It sounded even better.

-A pair of 4"x6" Co-axials in rear pillars. I decided to cut the holes for them since a PO had mounted "surface mount" plastic boxes there at one time and had drilled four screw holes and a hole for the wires. Rather than fill all of the holes, I figured why not just install 4"x6"s.

- 6 1/2" Woofers that were under my seat, may decide to build some sort of enclosure under my dash, in front of my floor shifter. It may even have room for cupholders. :lol:

- Make an oval plate from Plexiglass, metal, etc. to fit where the original dash speaker was located, mount two 3 1/2" Co-axials in that spot.

- 2" Tweeters mounted in headliner at far front corners.

These are some of my ideas and preferred locations for speakers, some I have already done. I hope they may be helpful.
Last edited by Nitekruizer on Thu Jan 28, 2016 5:53 pm, edited 3 times in total.
390 FE IN A "BUMP" / 383 WEDGE IN A 2 DOOR C-BODY / 351W IN A FULL-SIZE MERCURY / 194 CHEVY 6 IN A DUECE / 2.4 DOHC CHRYSLER IN A PLASTIC BUBBLE (Driver)
carnuck

Post by carnuck »

In the past I mounted them facing downwards from under the dash with brackets.
Mancar1
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!
Location: USS Gramps Garage (DD-727) Tehama County, Northern Ca.

Post by Mancar1 »

This worked for me.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
May your sails stay full, and your knots not slip. Unless a slip knot.
Once I thought I was wrong, but I was wrong.
Life is a banquet, and every days a feast.
68 F-250 CS 390 C-6 P/S A/C front disc. 2nd owner.
2016 GMC Terrain Denali 301 HP V-6 AWD.
2009 Silverado Crew Cab, V-8, 4X4.
DD-727
DD-806
AE-35
LSD-39
AS-41
AR-8
Mach428
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Mach428 »

You can mount door speakers and use the Mustang Stereo speaker grilles available at NPD. When finished, it will look factory
Zorm
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Zorm »

ok, I removed the in cab fuel tank and its not going back in. What about two small subs mounded in the rear corners, or maybe two 10s mounted in the center of the back. Tweeters in the upper corners of the head liner, or front corner edges of the dash, where would you put the mid ranges? This truck has been in the family for the past 45 years, when I was in high school, I was dumb and had a stereo place mount round seekers in the lower part of the doors, now big holes that I need to weld patch pieces in now, so not a big fan of stuff in the doors, what are my options?

I'm not a big boom boom base guy but I do like to get a full range of sound and a nice full sound, not the cheepy 6x9 crud out put. Would be nice to actually see what other folks have done to get a good system in these trucks.
1971 F250 Camper Special, family owned since 1972
1983 Cherokee, last of the big ones, bought in Italy, family owned since 1998
1965 Corvair Corsa Convertible, 140 engine, 4 speed.

HE guides my path, forgives me when I stray and lights my life
colnago
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by colnago »

The PO of my truck put speakers in the kick panel in the lower corner by the door, so it didn't mess with any of the vents. It's a bit of a squeeze, though, because you're limited in speaker size by the lower door hinge. I forget what I have in there, but I want to say 6". I suppose it's okay; it works, it makes noise. If there weren't holes there already, I probably would be asking around as well.

There is a company that makes a molded headliner that has holes for speakers. That's a pretty good option, because you can always take it out and go back to stock. It's pretty pricey, though.

Joseph
"Sugar", my 1967 Ford F250 2WD Camper Special, 352FE, Ford iron "T" Intake with 1405 Edelbrock, Duraspark II Ignition, C6 transmission, front disc brake conversion.