Lug Wrench / Jack Crank

Inside the cab...appearance, repair, upgrades

Moderator: FORDification

Big Blue 72

Lug Wrench / Jack Crank

Post by Big Blue 72 »

I recently had carpet put in my 72. I removed the lug wrench clamp and long jack crank bar clamps that were under the seat before I took it to the interior place. Problem is I should have taken a picture to document their location. Now I have a fully carpeted truck and no reference where the under seat clamp hardware goes.

Anyone have an interior photo of a 72 showing the general location of the the under seat hardware that I could use as a reference?
towtruckerfour
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Re: Lug Wrench / Jack Crank

Post by towtruckerfour »

Wish I would have seen this earlier. I just had my seat out of my 70 F250. The bent part of the handle goes on the driver side under the clip and then is held by the two screw down clamps. Hope that helps.
Troy
Why is it that the trucks are always the best running vehicles in the family?
Ford means "found on road daily"
70 F100 Custom-352 w/68 Highboy 4x4 frame. My play/project truck
70 F250 Explorer-390/C6 auto. My work truck
04 Mitsubishi montero-family car
m-mman

Post by m-mman »

The jacking tools are the only thing not fully documented on this site and I wondered the same thing.

Is the jack handle a 'folding' handle? or a straight one? (somebody gave me a folding handle & jack and I dont know if it is correct)

The jack goes on the Left inner fender, does the lug wrench clamp to the core support on the Left side? It IS a 'bent bar' type? and not the 'folding socket' type, correct?
Thanks
1969 F-100 Custom Cab 302 T-85 Overdrive, 3.70 equalock & factory 16" wheels
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

i just had the seat out of my 71 tonight and replaced it with a good one. the jack handle is a full lenght straight handle. it doesn't fold up the lug wrench does store under the seat in this truck. it has a bracket for the lug wrench beside the jack handle brack near the drivers side. i was going to take a pic but i was too busy to do it. if i swap cabs and swap the seat again i will take a pic of those brackets
Big Blue 72

Post by Big Blue 72 »

Thanks everyone. The jack handle I have is a long one piece rod. I remember both were stored under the seat and I remember the basic location of the tools but I don't think I'll ever find the threaded areas areas where the brackets and wing nut clamp attached now that it's covered with carpet. Don't know what I was thinking when I didn't take the time to mark it or take a picture. :hw: I'm thinking my only hope is someone has a photo where I can get a basic idea where the holes are or it's time to visit the wrecking yard and search for a similar truck. In the grand scheme of things it's not the end of the world if I don't store the original tools under the seat. I'm just trying to keep the truck as stock as possible.
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

the jackhandle studs should be sticking out of the floor. unless they were broken off or something. i think those are welded in to the floor. the bracket and wing nut will come off of the studs. the lug wrench bracket i didn't look at very well. i was in a hurry to get the seat back in and load up the other truck to work tomorrow.
Big Blue 72

Post by Big Blue 72 »

If I remember right the lug wrench bracket is more of a pinch type clamp that the wrench wedges into. Probably two clamps. There was a bolt that passed through the pinch clamps and into the floorboard. Finding the holes for those pieces will be a shot in the dark. I'll feel around and see if I can find those jack handle studs.
1971ford
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by 1971ford »

i have never seen the mounting things for the handle in a bump, and ive never seen the handle/crank thing either. pictures puhleaase :)
-Ryan
sideoilerfe
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by sideoilerfe »

I couldn't move the seat forward due to the rod that connects the two sides of the release tracks is missing but i did what i could. I forgot to take a pic of the jack handle while i had it out though! :doh: The last pic is actually the lug wrench in front of the jack handle. It clips in next to it. You can see the jack handle behind it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Side oiler FE, see if you can catch me!!!

1970 F250 4x4 390/4spd
1968 F250 4X2 360/C6/No Rust!
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

Post by FORDification »

Here's a couple pics from my archives that might help illustrate the jack handle storage a bit. I agree...we really need to get a couple good hi-res pics of the proper storage taken with the seat out.

Arrows #1 and #3 point to studs welded into the cab floor. #1 is a clamp, held onto the stud with a wing nut, which holds the jack handle and lug wrench. #2 is a clip which holds the end of the jack handle. Notice that the '68-up handle storage position is several inches forward from the '67 position.

sideoilerfe's underseat shot does show the U-shaped clip that holds the end of the lug wrench, but I don't have a shot which shows that, and I can't specifically recall where it's located. I think the next time I hit the local U-Pull-It, I'll make sure a find a truck that I can remove the seat from specifically for some decent shots.
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
'67 F-100 2WD SWB ~ '69 F-100 4WD SWB w/7" chop ~ 1975 F-250 Ranger XLT Supercab Camper Special
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
-> Posting and you! <-a MUST watch for all!!
1971ford
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by 1971ford »

oops lol
I thought those studs were welded in from the PO of my truck so i cut them off and welded them up
-Ryan
Big Blue 72

Post by Big Blue 72 »

Those photo's help tons! I found the studs under my seat and that clears up where to secure the jack handle. I have the pinch type clamp for the lug wrench, but with the carpet over the floor there's no way to tell where to attach it. Does anyone know if the lug wrench is secured with just one of those pinch clamps, or two.

For what it's worth, here's a couple photo's of the tools, and clamps used to secure them:
Jack Tool.jpg
Jack Tool #2.jpg
Jack Tool #3.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Big Blue 72

Post by Big Blue 72 »

One more showing the pinch clamp for the lug wrench.
Jack Tool #4.jpg
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

its only one pinch clamp.i have a seat out right now. i will get a pic tomorrow . i am doing a cab swap and have to lighten up the cab so i can swap it over to my 4wd.
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

here is a pic i took tonight of the jack handle and the lug wrench in place without the seat in the cab. the handle would sit on top of the seat brackets.