Steering wheel

Inside the cab...appearance, repair, upgrades

Moderator: FORDification

Bvh56

Steering wheel

Post by Bvh56 »

After doing some searching thru previous posts here I wanted to verify some some questions on stock steering wheels. First. It appears that 70-72 steering wheels have a smaller hub size than the 73-79 ? Second from what years/ vehicles can I find that style steering wheel?(the smaller hub). Third what diameter is the steering wheels. I Did a power steering conversion on my 68 and have been using the old manual steering wheel which is huge and extended toward the seat a lot. So I'm looking for a smaller diameter and shorter depth steering wheel. Thanks.
rwilly
Preferred User
Preferred User

Re: Steering wheel

Post by rwilly »

Just a thought.....The steering wheels of a van is not dished as deep as a truck wheel. Maybe that would help?
Finding a van wheel might be difficult.
hillcountryflt
Preferred User
Preferred User

Re: Steering wheel

Post by hillcountryflt »

Well wheels from earlier pickups will fit as well. They use the same shaft/spline setup. For instance when I installed the old steering wheel from my 69 on my 71, it worked fine, except the shaft extended up too far to use the original horn button setup for a 69. The stock steering wheels were roughly 15" in diameter.
You can even use some of the steering wheels from the large truck/f600 range I think. I acquired one, because I liked the look of it. It would fit, but did not match up with the column width.
1971 F100 Custom SB Flareside;
2016 Explorer;
2020 F150
2016 Harley Ultra Limited
2008 Ford Mustang Deluxe V6