Installed Auto Meter gauges in F600 dash

Inside the cab...appearance, repair, upgrades

Moderator: FORDification

Calfdemon
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Installed Auto Meter gauges in F600 dash

Post by Calfdemon »

I ended up posting these steps and pictures in a question thread I had in the electrical section and someone suggested that I post it in a re-titled thread so it gets more views. I guess it might be helpful to someone wanting to do a similar modification. So here is a cut and paste from the other thread on two of my posts.. Hope they are helpful:

I should have taken pictures when I was doing it, but didnt. I have to take the dash off today because I want to change my Tach bulb to Green, so I will snap some shots when it is apart and post them here and you can see what I did.

I contemplated taking the Auto Meters apart and mounting the innards, but did not feel good about taking apart $250 worth of new gauges and possibly screwing them up, so came up with the method I used and it worked great! I bought Auto Meter Old Tyme gauges (black) and they look good with the stock F600 speedo.

This is the dash (not truck) I originally started with:

A while ago, I painted the dash and mounted an Auto Meter Old Tyme tach. I also moved my gas tank selector switch to the upper left spot on the dash, and my emergency flasher switch to the lower left of the dash. I put a second cigarette lighter in the location where the emergency flasher was originally. This way I have multiple power sockets in the truck. Here is a picture of it painted with the Tach in it (gas selector and emergency not shown):

And a picture of how the stock gauges sat inside the dash when apart:

I will go and work on it this afternoon taking it apart and will put some pictures of my modifications up in this thread later today.

Ok, I had typed a long post and just about finished when my browser froze... so here I go again. lol

Before I show how I did my gauge panel, I will explain some modifications I previously did to my wiring so it is easier to understand how I ended up wiring my gauges. Previously when I was installing my stereo and additional components, I wired in 4 relays under my dash from the battery so that I would not have to over-tax my ignition wiring. With these 4 relays, I initially used three of them leaving one free for future additions (like these gauges). The original 3 relays were used to power my stereo, my second cigarette lighter/power socket in my dash, and a 3rd hidden power socket in my glove box which powers my iPod.

These relays are turned on/off from one of the 3 stock ignition slots. The other 2 ignition slots are used by my windshield wipers (just like stock), and my Tach. Here is a picture of my ignition wiring. The black wire is the on/off for my relays, the short wire with the female plug attaches to my Tach,and the other orange wire going into the back handles the windshield wipers:

Here is a picture of the 4 relays mounted under the dash above the steering column:

And here is the previously unused 4th relay plug which now powers my 4 new gauges:

To power my clock that I installed, I tapped into the stock cigarette lighter which is always hot. I also tapped into this wire for my stereo memory (radio stations/clock). Both the clock and the radio memory are low draws and the lighter wire more than handles this:

Now that the under dash wiring is explained, I will get into the gauge cluster. Here are a couple of before photos from the back prior to cutting out the holes for the new gauges:

Now here are after shots from each side once the holes had been cut, gauges had been mounted, and gaps had been sealed:

When I first cut the holes and put the gauges in, they were tight enough to basically hold them in place, but I used a few drops of Loctite Stik n Seal Ultra on each gauge to secure them in place (5 minute setting time). Once I had them positioned how I wanted them and set in place, I then sealed around each gauge with another Loctite product that is a rubberized adheasive caulking. I used this so that in the event that I ever need to remove a gauge for whatever reason, I can just cut the rubber seal without damaging the gauge or housing. I also liked that it dries white as the inside of my housing was originally white. Here are the 2 products I used:

I decided to use green lights in my Auto Meter gauges so I wanted to tint the light green for my stock speedo as well. I painted the inside of my housing with a hunter green so that it gives the light a green tint. i left the inside of the face white so it is still highly reflective with a green tint. I cant get it to photo well, but it is a nice green tint that goes right along with the green lighting of the new gauges.

Now for the wiring of the gauge cluster... Here is an overall view of the back. At first glance it looks like a bunch of spagetti, but it really is a simple layout and not as bad as it looks. The large black taped wad is the unused wires of the stock harness. I used the same sending wires for the fuel, temp, and oil (I replaced the stock sending units for Oil and Temp with the ones supplied by AutoMeter). I also used the same lighting wiring (blinkers, brights, gauge lighting), as well as the main ground (solid black) which grounds the housing. I did not use the old gauge grounding (black with white stripe) and those are taped up in that bundle along with the old Alt wires. The only reason the regulator is on the back still is to fill the holes where it mounts. I re-wired it with the stock wires in case it needed to complete some unknown circut in the stock wiring, but it serves no purpose with the new gauges.

Now for the other wiring.. All of the power wires for the 4 new gauges were wired together and attached to a plug which attaches to the previously shown relay:

All of the grounds (6 lighting grounds for the 4 gauges plus clock and tach, and 6 power grounds for same) are all attached to the two stock grounding locations used by the previous gauges:

The positive wires for the gauge lighting were attached into the stock lighting wiring. The 3 left gauges were attached to the left side wire, and the 3 right were attached to the right side wire:

And as for the wiring, that pretty much was it. Every gauge worked perfect the first time I hooked it up. My only intial concern with this method of mounting them was the 4 gauges being under double glass (the gauge housing, and the glass for the F600 dash). Once installed though, there were no issues. All 4 gauges are easily viewed during both day and night conditions. You dont even notice that they are under 2 pieces of glass.

Here are some pictures of everything installed and working:

Thats pretty much it!! Hopefully I made sense and your are not disgusted by my "do-it-myself" cutting, mounting, and wiring. I definately am no RobRoy (your stuff is awesome!!) but I get by. If anyone has any other questions, fire away. I learned as I went and I think it came out pretty well.
-Rich

Current toys -
69 Ford F350 Crew Cab - 460 / C6 - http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh67 ... lqgskp.jpg
31 Ford Vicky - 1955 270 Red Ram Hemi / 4 speed - http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh67 ... bsibvn.jpg

Former toys -
67 Pontiac Firebird 400 convertible (sold 9/13) - http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh67 ... bird-1.jpg
67 Ford Fairlane GT - 390 / 4 speed (sold 7/15) - http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh67 ... c5hu8z.jpg
marvin2
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Re: Installed Auto Meter gauges in F600 dash

Post by marvin2 »

Excellent job man, and thanks for the write up. The gauges go so well together that it looks like an option offered from the factory. Well done....
1970 F100 "Marvin 2" - Crown Vic IFS, 302, C4 (work in progress)
1970 F250 "Leonard" - 302, C6 (project in waiting)
1971 F100 "Walt" - 302, 3-speed on the column (Sunday driver)
2004 Mustang GT "Horse With No Name" - 4.6L, 5 speed (Retired daily driver / Friday driver)
marvin2
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by marvin2 »

** double post...sorry.
1970 F100 "Marvin 2" - Crown Vic IFS, 302, C4 (work in progress)
1970 F250 "Leonard" - 302, C6 (project in waiting)
1971 F100 "Walt" - 302, 3-speed on the column (Sunday driver)
2004 Mustang GT "Horse With No Name" - 4.6L, 5 speed (Retired daily driver / Friday driver)
fireguywtc
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fireguywtc »

Nice write up, I will hopefully being something like this soon and this will come in handy. I didn't think to use the original back panel to hold the new guages in. I might do that. Good job!
Bill
1967 F-250 LWB 2WD 352 V8, 4spd manual, true duals, 122k original miles (currently being restored)
1970 F-250 4x4 highboy ranger 390 V8, 4spd
2012 F-350 PSD FX4 LWB CC lariat, white
http://www.fordification.com/galleries/ ... hp?uid=602
"If you want to judge a person's true character, give them power."
Mancar1
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!
Location: USS Gramps Garage (DD-727) Tehama County, Northern Ca.

Post by Mancar1 »

From the looks of it. You did a great job. :thup: Thanks for the post.
May your sails stay full, and your knots not slip. Unless a slip knot.
Once I thought I was wrong, but I was wrong.
Life is a banquet, and every days a feast.
68 F-250 CS 390 C-6 P/S A/C front disc. 2nd owner.
2016 GMC Terrain Denali 301 HP V-6 AWD.
2009 Silverado Crew Cab, V-8, 4X4.
DD-727
DD-806
AE-35
LSD-39
AS-41
AR-8
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by sargentrs »

One more quick question, Rich. Are those 3-3/8" and 2-1/16" gauges?
Randy
1970 F100 Sport Custom Limited LWB, 302cid, 3 on the tree. NO A/C, NO P/S, NO P/B. Currently in 1000 pcs while rebuilding. Project thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=59995 Plan: 351w, C4, LSD, pwr front disc, p/s, a/c, bucket seats, new interior and paint.
1987 F-150 XLT Lariat, 5.0/C6 auto.
69Ford
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by 69Ford »

Thanks for the post very nice looking dash.
1969 Ford F100 Styleside standard cab 360 C6
Zukinut

Post by Zukinut »

Boy, i wish i woulda done it this way. I thru away my factory pod, my idea is gonna work i think, but not as well as this.

Great job.

Will
Calfdemon
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by Calfdemon »

sargentrs wrote:One more quick question, Rich. Are those 3-3/8" and 2-1/16" gauges?
Tach is 3-1/8" and the other gauges are 2-1/16".
69Ford wrote:Thanks for the post very nice looking dash.
Zukinut wrote:Boy, i wish i woulda done it this way. I thru away my factory pod, my idea is gonna work i think, but not as well as this.

Great job.

Will

Thanks!
-Rich

Current toys -
69 Ford F350 Crew Cab - 460 / C6 - http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh67 ... lqgskp.jpg
31 Ford Vicky - 1955 270 Red Ram Hemi / 4 speed - http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh67 ... bsibvn.jpg

Former toys -
67 Pontiac Firebird 400 convertible (sold 9/13) - http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh67 ... bird-1.jpg
67 Ford Fairlane GT - 390 / 4 speed (sold 7/15) - http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh67 ... c5hu8z.jpg
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by sargentrs »

Thanks Rich!
Randy
1970 F100 Sport Custom Limited LWB, 302cid, 3 on the tree. NO A/C, NO P/S, NO P/B. Currently in 1000 pcs while rebuilding. Project thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=59995 Plan: 351w, C4, LSD, pwr front disc, p/s, a/c, bucket seats, new interior and paint.
1987 F-150 XLT Lariat, 5.0/C6 auto.
SoCalExile
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by SoCalExile »

Tag for later.
colnago
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by colnago »

Nice write-up! Just two questions:

1. What clock did you use?

2. How did you cut the holes for the tach and clock?

Thanks,

Joseph
"Sugar", my 1967 Ford F250 2WD Camper Special, 352FE, Ford iron "T" Intake with 1405 Edelbrock, Duraspark II Ignition, C6 transmission, front disc brake conversion.
Calfdemon
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by Calfdemon »

All of the gauges I used other than the stock speedo are Auto Meter Old Tyme Black gauges... They have a clock in that same type and that is what I put in. To cut my holes, I used a dremel to cut my initial holes slightly smaller than what I needed and then ground the holes bigger with the dremel until the tach and clock fit in the hole very snug. Some use a hole saw, but I just used my dremel for the whole project.
-Rich

Current toys -

Former toys -
toddspeed

Post by toddspeed »

really nice job - especially thinking ahead with the relays!
Todd in Atlanta
1970 F100 Ranger born the same month/year as me - 360 C6 2WD, P/S, LWB

You! Yes You! Please put your location in your profile - it helps us help you when it comes to parts, pricing, and advice.
Zorm
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Zorm »

Awosome! write up and great pictures. The relays are a great thought, plan on doing the same. I just picked up my 600 dash off fleebay for $35.00. Guy had it listed for a 65 F600, looked at the pic, then found 65 600 dashes on google, not the same thing, so I bid and won!!!! Ok, so you have all electrical gauges correct, what gauge did you use for fuel level? I now those ones can be tricky, depending on how the level is read with the stock gauge. Another question, my 600 dash came with a stock tach, anyone ever tried to incorporate that with out trucks?

thanks.
1971 F250 Camper Special, family owned since 1972
1983 Cherokee, last of the big ones, bought in Italy, family owned since 1998
1965 Corvair Corsa Convertible, 140 engine, 4 speed.

HE guides my path, forgives me when I stray and lights my life