1973 F-250 Highboy questions (axle/brakes/steering)

4x4 & Off-road Forum Archives

Moderator: Doug Comer

FordCummins

1973 F-250 Highboy questions (axle/brakes/steering)

Post by FordCummins »

Hello everyone! I'm a new guy to the site, and after parusing it, I find that there is a wealth of information to gather. I have a 1973 F-250 4x4.

I hope I'm not rehashing anything that I've read, but here are my questions:

Brakes. I'm putitng a 1973 D60 in my truck, and was wondering how hard it is to put disc brakes on it, or if the drums are sufficient enough to stop me. Truck has power brakes now on a D44 closed knuckle. I'm only interested in disc on the front, leaving the drums on the rear.

Power steering. I've read lots about it, and have maybe come to the conclusion that having the power assist that's on it now will work fine, if not better than converting it to a "normal" syste. Can anyone out there give me any pointers? How can I imporve the power ram assist?

On the axle. One member said that the D60 is nothing more than a glorified D44. My D44 is the BIG BALL style. So, is it worth my time to do the swop? It's year for year, closed knuckle and all. Reason why I'm planning on the swop is that I'm putting a 99 Cummins ISB engine into the truck. Will the 60 be better for the weight increase?

Thanks guys, as I'm sure I'll be a normal visitor to this site over the next year while I do my Diesel conversion. :D

Wayne
Wes
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Wes »

That is a big engine, My big ball d44 is rated at 3800 pd.
I think the d60 drum axle can be converted to easier then the closed knuckle d44.
With the ISB and which trans you may also need to up the spring rating. Sounds like a great project.
Wes

http://www.fordification.com/galleries/ ... ?cat=10402
67 F250 High boy
69 Bronco

If you can't see fit to stand behind Our Troops...Please stand in front of them :)
FordCummins

re: 1973 F-250 Highboy questions (axle/brakes/steering)

Post by FordCummins »

Hey guys, thanks for the warm welcome! 8)

Averagef250 - I'm not sure yet about the steering, as I haven't laid a hand on it yet - truck's in Denver and I'm leaving on Tuesday to go get it. Picking up a trailer in Spokane and then south from there. Will be home in a couple of weeks; then the fun starts!

Wes - engine alone weighs about 1000 lb w/fluids. I know I'm going to get flamed for this, but I'm going to run the 47RE auto and NP241 aluminum t-case. This will save me a tad bit of weight, and will make the swop a bit easier cuz I have a whole donor truck to use.

I thought about running a NV4500 5-speed w/keeping the divorced t-case in tact; but I can't find one for less than about 1500 bucks rebuilt, and then I'll have to pay the core charge. Plus, I have an 04 Dodge Cummins 6-speed and I get my fair amount of shifting when driving it.

Thanks for your help so far!

Wayne :thup:
averagef250
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by averagef250 »

There are some that would say an electronic 24 valve and an electronic automatic and a vacuum line riddled T-case kinda defeat the purpose of a cummins swap, but I totally understand if it's what you've got. The dodge 47RH is a pretty tough auto. The RE is good too, just too much electronic stuff for me.

Good luck with the tow! That's a ways!
1970 F-250 4x4 original Willock swivel frame chassis '93 5.9 Cummins/Getrag/NP205/HP60/D70