F250 4X4 Tie Rods & Spindle Arms

4x4 & Off-road Forum Archives

Moderator: Doug Comer

7DF250

F250 4X4 Tie Rods & Spindle Arms

Post by 7DF250 »

Howzit, I just joined but I have been using Fordification since I purchased my 1970 F250 4X4 from the Yakima County Fire District about a year and a half ago. I have been following AverageF250's discussion on power steering and decided to go the stock bolt-on route with a Power Assist unit. I know there are many who would disagree with my decision. I intend on replacing the tie rods because the ones with the unit seem a bit tired and I always prefer to do things once when possible. I have read on many posts that the longer ball joints of the 73-79 tie rods will work with the spindle arms of the 67-72 trucks. I have not seen posts specific to the Highboy though. Are there enough threads on the longer 73-79 tie rod ball joints to snug the bugga up into the spindle arm of a 1970 dana 44 or do I do I need a spacer under the Castle Nut? It is going to cost $180.00 for the new tie rods so I want to ensure I purchase the correct parts. I have part numbers DS837, ES444L and ES2012. The photos that were posted a few days ago were really helpful. I also expect I will need to purchase new hoses looks like they run about $50.00 each. I am also curious if there is protocol for aligning the Power Cylinder along the axle? I have been a Ford truck guy all my life but this is my first Bumpside and I have to say I am stoked with my purchase. She is pretty straight with only 45K original miles. I will try and post some photos, any insight into this will be really appreciated. Sorry about the huge photo, I have got a Mac so I am a bit funky.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
averagef250
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by averagef250 »

Looks like a real sharp '70 there. I bet the body's in premo shape being a fire truck, probably some extra holes from lights and antennas? The tie rod setup you'll want is from a '73 to '75 F-250 4x4 w/power assist. The tie rod end size was the same from 'early '77 and previous, but the tie rods got longer when Ford went to disc brakes in '76. The power cylinder and brackets will only bolt up in one spot. The cast end bracket has a nipple that fits in a large hole in the D44 housing.
1970 F-250 4x4 original Willock swivel frame chassis '93 5.9 Cummins/Getrag/NP205/HP60/D70
7DF250

Post by 7DF250 »

Thank you for the help averagef250 from what I have read on the sight you seem to be the expert on the 4X4 Power Assist steering. I am going to order the set today and start from there. It looks like most of the parts are still available for the system. With further inspection I noticed that the Power Cylinder piston shaft does have some slight pittting right where you suggested it usually occurs, wheels straight position. I remember rebuilding the gear box on a small Mercury outboard motor and the prop shaft had pitting right at the seal seat. I took the shaft in to a place that put a ceramic sleeve around the pitted area. I think they called it flame spray, they told me I would never need to mess with it again. But that was rotational motion of a prop shaft. I think I will put this stuff together fire it up and I expect any leaks should be apparent. Thanks again for the help! Keith