69 F100 2wd to 70 F250 4x4 conversion

4x4 & Off-road Forum Archives

Moderator: Doug Comer

splavin90

69 F100 2wd to 70 F250 4x4 conversion

Post by splavin90 »

Hello
I own a 69 ford F100 that i have been wanting to convert over to 4x4 for a looooong time.

my F100 is a LWB 2wd with fmx, and 302

In a few days i am getting a 1970 ford F250 4x4 here's some details on it:
the 360 is not seized, and needs a dizzy. the 4spd transmission is "shot" as the owner put it. the tcase and diff's are good, no body, divorced Tcase

here's a pic. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v113/ ... ytruck.jpg

in what order should i put my truck onto this frame?

should i get a good 4speed first and get it bolted in? is it hard / worth it to rebuild a 4spd?

my F100 has no hole in the center, i was told by someone that it's stenciled onto the metal if i just rip it up. is this true? should i cut the hole in the floor before i take my cab off?

in what order should i take my body off of my truck?

i plan to use my 2wd power steering box on my 4x4 truck, so that i can use my 2wd steering column. has anyone else done this? do i need 4x4 pittman arm or a 2wd?
69 F100 81' 302 / 73' fmx

I'd rather go hunting with Dick Cheney than go driving with Kennedy
ICEMAN6166
Preferred User
Preferred User

re: 69 F100 2wd to 70 F250 4x4 conversion

Post by ICEMAN6166 »

well, i do occasionally need to eat and sleep.
heres what i do
after you de-body the 4x4,
put the trans in first, lots of NP 435s in the yards, if you want to rebuild,there are kits available.
i always take everything loose on the donor truck first.in this case thats your f100.you can see what needs to be done with the hole on the 4x4 floor.
after you have the trans in, put the cab on, hook up the steering, then put on the front clip.do not tighten anything down until you have the bed on, then you can be sure the body line (bump)is straight. if you need to do some adjusting do it.
a body swap is a 2 day job for one person who is set up with lifting devices, i have done many of them.
i dont know what your housing or garage situation is, i can leave parts out in my yard because i have no neighbors to complain, and my land is unrestricted so even if i had any they could not say anything anyway.
http://fordtruk.com/forums/album.php?ca ... user_id=26

you can ford a river or stream and get to the other side, if you dodge it you will not, and if you drive a chevy to the levee it will run dry and the music will die.
ICEMAN6166
Preferred User
Preferred User

re: 69 F100 2wd to 70 F250 4x4 conversion

Post by ICEMAN6166 »

oh one more thing,i cant help with the ps thing, i leave mine the way they are,manual.
i can tell you that the 4x4 column and f100 auto column are different and even if you kept it manual and used your steering wheel and tube, you have to take both apart and use the pieces of both to make it correct .
but there is posts on that in here, look thru the list and read them.
http://fordtruk.com/forums/album.php?ca ... user_id=26

you can ford a river or stream and get to the other side, if you dodge it you will not, and if you drive a chevy to the levee it will run dry and the music will die.