4x4 & Off-road Forum Archives

Moderator: Doug Comer

averagef250
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Did you know fact

Post by averagef250 »

The did you know facts are great on this site, but noticed this one today

"The transmission-end of the speedometer cable for Ford C-6 transmissions have two different attachment methods. A cable end that is clamped on is usually found in a transmission with a long extension housing. The screw-in type is found in trucks with either a short housing or 4WD applications. "

I have had inumerable short shaft C6's and never seen one with a screw in speedo cable like the 72 and older 4x4's use. Sure this is accurate?
1970 F-250 4x4 original Willock swivel frame chassis '93 5.9 Cummins/Getrag/NP205/HP60/D70
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

re: Did you know fact

Post by FORDification »

That is almost word-for-word what I was told over at the Ford Transmission messageboard by Stuart, the moderator who has probably forgotten more about Ford transmissions than I'll ever learn in the first place. Since I figured he knew what he was talking about, I left his wording mostly intact. :dk:

Here's the thread where I was asking about that:

http://www.network54.com/Forum/260730/t ... 161835709/
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
'67 F-100 2WD SWB ~ '69 F-100 4WD SWB w/7" chop ~ 1975 F-250 Ranger XLT Supercab Camper Special
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
-> Posting and you! <-a MUST watch for all!!
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

Post by FORDification »

:lol: Hey, I'm simply interested in presenting the correct facts. By all means, I definitely appreciate it when someone points out what could be incorrect information. If it is incorrect or incomplete, I wanna know about it so that it can rectified.
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
'67 F-100 2WD SWB ~ '69 F-100 4WD SWB w/7" chop ~ 1975 F-250 Ranger XLT Supercab Camper Special
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
ICEMAN6166
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by ICEMAN6166 »

all the 4x4s have the speedo cable and gear on the transfer case.
early ones use the screw type ,the later ones clamp.
since you cannot get the cables for the screw type anymore at least i never have found them, i have taken the clamp end off the new style that you can still get and reworked it to fit the screw on end.

as to the transmissions, the 4x4s c6 were all short, the hole not drilled.
the tail on these has the holes to mount the tc shifter.
all the long ones had the clamp
it is possible that the early c6 2wd had these screw type on the short tails 66 and maybe 67.i will investigate the ones i have.been to long since i took them out to remember.neither me or the wife likes auto trans so i got a pile from converting to 4 speeds and parting out trucks and keeping parts that are still good.
averagef250
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by averagef250 »

That's exactly what I've seen as well. I can't say either way on the 66 and earlier stuff, I haven't fooled with it.

I didn't want to come off as the smart *ss, It just occured to me that my experience didn't go along with the speedo cable facts presented.

As for getting the correct speedo cable end when swapping from one style to another (like upgrading a 24 transfercase to a 205) I have had really good luck simply pulling the old end off and pushing the correct end on. The crimp that holds the cable end on usually isn't that great.
1970 F-250 4x4 original Willock swivel frame chassis '93 5.9 Cummins/Getrag/NP205/HP60/D70
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

Post by FORDification »

Thanks for helping set the record straight, guys. Iceman, if you have some short tailhousing C6's and could check on the cable hookup, that would be great...and then I can edit that DYK snippet to be more accurate. :thup:
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
pat67shorty

Post by pat67shorty »

67-72 Truck 2wd short tailshaft C6s has the screw on speedo cable. The shorty C6 I pulled out of mine when I put the car 390/C6 in was like this.
'67 SWB, 1970 car 390, Edelbrock Streetmaster intake, MSD 6AL, 780 Holley, Hedman headers, 2.5 duals, 3.54 D44 L/S, C6.
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

Post by FORDification »

OK, so if I were to edit that to read as follows, would it be more accurate?:

"The transmission-end of the speedometer cable for Ford C-6 transmissions have two different attachment methods. The screw-in type is found in trucks with either a short housing or early 4WD applications. A cable end that is clamped on is usually found in a transmission with a long extension housing or later-model 4WDs. NOTE: All factory 4WDs, if equipped with a C-6, had short-shaft versions, and the speedometer cable is attached to the transfer case, not the transmission."

If this is accurate, it might be a good idea to give some kind of cut-off date between the two styles (early vs. late) to avoid confusion. So you guys are thinking that the '66-earlier 4WDs had the screw-on cable ends?
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
ICEMAN6166
Preferred User
Preferred User

Re: re: Did you know fact

Post by ICEMAN6166 »

FORDification wrote:OK, so if I were to edit that to read as follows, would it be more accurate?:

"The transmission-end of the speedometer cable for Ford C-6 transmissions have two different attachment methods. The screw-in type is found in trucks with either a short housing or early 4WD applications. A cable end that is clamped on is usually found in a transmission with a long extension housing or later-model 4WDs. NOTE: All factory 4WDs, if equipped with a C-6, had short-shaft versions, and the speedometer cable is attached to the transfer case, not the transmission."

If this is accurate, it might be a good idea to give some kind of cut-off date between the two styles (early vs. late) to avoid confusion. So you guys are thinking that the '66-earlier 4WDs had the screw-on cable ends?
should say all the 4x4s have the cable going to the transfer case.applies to manual or auto trans.all the 4x4s with dana 24 cases have the screw in.i think thats 59-72.
averagef250
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by averagef250 »

The screw on speedo on a 4x4 makes perfect sense. The speedo goes to the T-case, but it is screw on for '72 and older 4x4's.

Pat67shorty, My thinking is that not all 67-72 short shaft C6's have the screw on speedo. I kinda lean towards not very many at all had the screw on speedo. I've never had a '67 with an auto, but I have had several 68's, 70's, 71's and 72's with autos and every one of them has had the short shaft C6 with the speedo that's held in with a small bolt.

I don't have any hard evidence, but it looks a bit like '67 and earlier 2wd automatic had the screw on speedo while '68 and later went to the bolt on.