converting to 4x4

4x4 & Off-road Forum Archives

Moderator: Doug Comer

70Fordf-100

converting to 4x4

Post by 70Fordf-100 »

Seeing that thread with the bumpside on 35's made me want one. As tehre are really none around was wondering if I could convert mine. I got a spare coil sprung 44 but I'd rather do leafs. If I did this would I have to hack the engine crossmember?
1970 Ford f-100
Redcap
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by Redcap »

Get a frame/running gear from a 4x4 pickup and throw your body on it. Easiest way.
72hiboy4x4
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic
Location: As far away as I can be from Wa state, without crossing the Mississippi

Post by 72hiboy4x4 »

the hiboy frames are completely different than a 2wd.
I'd second the finding a frame and doing a body transplant idea.
I dunno about the F-100 frames.
In life many men take the path of righteousness, some take the path many others follow (G.M. owners, for example), some take a more arduous path, some a simpler path. I, sir, took the PSYCO-PATH!!
70Fordf-100

Post by 70Fordf-100 »

I know hi boys are different. My question is would I have to hack into the engine crossmember if I were to put a leaf sprung dana 44 under it?
1970 Ford f-100
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

Post by FORDification »

You wouldn't have to hack into it....you'd have to completely remove it!

Anything can be done with the proper (excessive) application of time, money sweat and tears. However, considering the amount of engineering necessary to get everything set up just right and the extensive modifications necessary, you should definitely take the above-mentioned advice and find yourself a 4WD parts truck for the chassis.
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
'67 F-100 2WD SWB ~ '69 F-100 4WD SWB w/7" chop ~ 1975 F-250 Ranger XLT Supercab Camper Special
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
-> Posting and you! <-a MUST watch for all!!
72hiboy4x4
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic
Location: As far away as I can be from Wa state, without crossing the Mississippi

Post by 72hiboy4x4 »

I would think that it would depend on how much lift you plan on ending up with.
you might need a rear sump oil pan to provide a bit more diff. clearance.
others here are more knowlegable about those trucks.
In life many men take the path of righteousness, some take the path many others follow (G.M. owners, for example), some take a more arduous path, some a simpler path. I, sir, took the PSYCO-PATH!!
70Fordf-100

Post by 70Fordf-100 »

The body would just swap right on if I found a 67-72 year frame right?
1970 Ford f-100
zakt
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

re: converting to 4x4

Post by zakt »

you need a lift for sure or the dif... will hit the crossmember. On my 67' I will have 12" lift so will try to use my 2wd crossmember (although I have a front 78 F250 4x4 clip with crossmember if that doesnt work) Mines a crewcab so no chance of getting another frame with running gear... thats ok though I like the 3" springs so have changed all the 2 1/2" wides out... then of course I want the D60 front and the D70 or D80 rear with disk brakes all around.. so more or less I would tear it apart anyway. I think though the 2wd crossmember will make it easier to get the power steering box in the front though as the 4wd crossmember is by the harmonic balancer more forward...I have a 78 F250 (4 bolt steering box the bolts inside the rail) just got the frame off the body so working on stuff as I go some my work some I might have to change ? :hmm: I also wil be putting in a 460EFI with the E40D trans and BW1356 tansfer case... the transfer case is to wide for the frame but have a 12 degree clock ring so should fit nicely... and will get the pinion real close to stock with the 12" lift.
1972 Ford F350 crewcab
Old-Fart-Al

Post by Old-Fart-Al »

70Fordf-100 wrote:The body would just swap right on if I found a 67-72 year frame right?
My 72 F 250 4x4 has a F 150 2 wd body on it and the only major difference between the two in those years was where the cab mounts at the rear of the cab. The mount brackets on the frame rails are located in different places and of a different configuration. If some one would want to do a body swap of such a nature, my suggestion is to use the cab off a F350 2wd since the 1-tons mounted the same as the 4x4 cabs did. All the rest is basicly a straight swap, bed, fenders, and every thing else. There are some suttle differences like the fuel doors but still basicly the same. And as for converting your F100 to 4x4, 70 Fordf 100, listen to what they are saying cause you're talkin bunches of effort and headaches not to mention money to do so. If you want a 4x4, go buy one (or at least a 4x4 chassy) and fix it up the way you want, you'll be MILES ahead in the end if you do so!!!

Al

PS; And yeah, I had to drill holes in the rear of mine to get it to work, but I've got a 1-ton cab in the wings for a future swap!
averagef250
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by averagef250 »

Great info on the 1 ton 2wd cabs Al. Always learning something new here. Good advice on the swap too.

If you just want a beater to spin the tires in mud then convert your 2wd to 4x4 with parts you can scrounge up. You won't have anything worth a lick in the end if you're starting with a 2wd chassis.

If you start with a 4x4 you atleast have the potential to end up with something nice and of value in the end. It'll go down the road straight, tow stuff, steer and stop the way it should.

Starting with a 2wd chassis, you'll most likely learn the way not to do alot of things.
1970 F-250 4x4 original Willock swivel frame chassis '93 5.9 Cummins/Getrag/NP205/HP60/D70
Old-Fart-Al

Post by Old-Fart-Al »

average f250
Yeah, I had to swap the body on my 77 as well, cab was shot and I mean that literally. The guy I got it from, bought it at an auction with bullet holes in the cab. It had been in some drug bust. The bullet holes were the least of the problems with it though. Yanked the body off and sent it to the scrap yard. Searched for awhile and found a 78 Lariat edition 1 ton that a guy was parting out and nabbed the whole thing. The cab and front clip fit fine, but the bed wouldn't since it had the longer wheel base. Made the bed and frame into a pick up bed trailer that has a 4,500 # trailer axle and electric brakes. Finally found a bed on a 78 F250 but the guy wouldn't let it go with out taking the whole truck which is where the CC, tilt colume for my 72 came from. This was actually a hobby at one time! Did that concept ever cross anybody elses mind? Still love these old 4x4s, some of the best ever built!

Al