Possessed pickup starts only when it feels like it!

Electrical and Wiring Forum Archives
fordhombre

Possessed pickup starts only when it feels like it!

Post by fordhombre »

Okay, now for a long spill...

Here's my setup. Mallory 29440 promaster coil and Comp 9000 unilite distributor on a 351w. Standard 8mm plug wires and autolite platinum plugs.

My pickup wasn't firing, turning over fine, but no fire. It had gas, air, but no fire. I put a test light to the ignition wire going to the coil when cranking, and a big bright light, 12 volts. I put the test light on the opposite side of that same resistor and tried cranking it, and to my surprise, it started pulsing real bad! I was thinking I'd remembered that thing staying dim. Not pulsing dim, but just plain' ol staying dim...So i replaced the resistor thinking it was somehow faulty, and the pickup cranked RIGHT UP!!!! this made me smile cause i miss this baby running... :)

Well, the very next morning....no fire again. I tried for 10 minutes, turning over and over, but no fire. I check that resistor again, and boom, its pulsing! I get aggrevated and go to work in something OTHER than my pickup... :( Well, when i come back from work, it starts right up again! It ran real slow at first, but then leveled out and picked up.

I check the resistor as the wife cranks it, and yeah, its pulses a bit, but then starts up and stays on.

I thought maybe the coil was getting too much voltage. I checked and its about 8-9 volts. I asked mallory and they said that the voltage isn't a set number because of the alternator.

I also thought maybe it was a cold cranking amp thing, but this battery seems good. It was a high-end battery i bought 3 months ago and never drags or anything...

I was told there could be a bypass switch going from the starter selenoid to the coil that's missing... I know it would be missing because the only wire going to that coil is either from the distributor or the main ignition wire.

I guess i need to get to the question. Has anyone had a similar experience with this? Could i still be getting too much voltage to the coil? The PO had TWO inline resistors cutting juice before the coil, and i never had any problem with it until a radiator leak spilt antifreeze all over those two resistors and i assume fried them, cause they quit working.

Or could it be my resistor? Not enough wattage? Not hot enough to crank or something? As you can tell, i don't have just the firmest grasp of what i'm working with, but i'm eager to learn and continue driving this wonderful pickup...

any help is greatly appreciated! Thank you for assisting in the "Help Stephen successfully move to Houston" foundation! :)
it's a 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70 automobile!
fordhombre

re: Possessed pickup starts only when it feels like it!

Post by fordhombre »

I had had a problem a while back with the pickup not starting. I posted it here http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... ight=29440

I replaced the electric module in the distributor, and it worked fine! up to the point where my radiator blew a leak all over the wires and resistors... as mentioned above.

Also, if anyone has any questions or would need additional info in trying to get this solved, please feel free to ask. I will find out anything that might help! Thanks again.
rjewkes
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by rjewkes »

do you still have the wire from the ignition switch hooked in it has its own built in resistor unless you rewired it?

also what about your voltage regulator? How is it doing if it is dead or near death it can cuase some agrivating problems.
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt." - Mark Twain
'70 f250 4x4 Crew cab 460/C6 '72 F100 390/C6 9.8 MPG AVG. '89 Mercury Cougar LS Dual Exh. V6 . 18.9 MPG AVG. In Town.
I don't want to give em a heart-attack. That is what would happen if I answered the door in the buff. Heck it almost scares me to death when I step out of the shower and look in the mirror.~Mancar1~
fuelly.com
460 crew
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by 460 crew »

Check your ignition switch itself, mine had similar problems and ended up being fried with one of the posts turned blue and brittle as can be.
Last edited by 460 crew on Fri Jul 28, 2006 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1970 4x4 Crewcab build and 12v cummins conversion
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=17179
flyboy2610
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by flyboy2610 »

:yt:
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."
Red Green

If you're going to live like there's no hell...............
you'd better be right.
http://theworldasiseeit-flyboy2610.blog ... ee-it.html
fordhombre

Post by fordhombre »

No, the factory resistor wire has been replaced, so the only resistance comes from the inline ballast resistor.

the voltage regulator was just a direct plug-in when i switched cabs, i think everything's fine on that end. I mean, this problem's pretty recent, and i figured that if the regulator was fouling, it woulda been fouling the whole time or something...?

Maybe the ignition switch.... i didn't even think about that. it's the same one that came out of my original '69 cab, so maybe its due for a change??? i guess they have caused that type of problem before, just plain' ol not starting sometimes? But if i'm always getting 12 volts to the resistor from the ignition, doesn't that mean its working? or no? :?

Either way, i'm going to continue checking and if the problem gets discovered, i'll let everybody know! in the mean time, any suggestions or relative experiences are very welcome! Thanks a million! :)
rjewkes
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by rjewkes »

is this electronic ignition? Did you get the controll device needed if one was needed? Also that they had a 12v+ plus from the battery as well as the ignition switch?

Are you certian you have good ghrounds and that the ignition wire is coming from the run side of the switch and not the accessorie side?
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt." - Mark Twain
'70 f250 4x4 Crew cab 460/C6 '72 F100 390/C6 9.8 MPG AVG. '89 Mercury Cougar LS Dual Exh. V6 . 18.9 MPG AVG. In Town.
I don't want to give em a heart-attack. That is what would happen if I answered the door in the buff. Heck it almost scares me to death when I step out of the shower and look in the mirror.~Mancar1~
fuelly.com
fordhombre

Post by fordhombre »

I'm not really sure what it qualifies for an electronic ignition. But the only performance ignition parts are the coil and distributor. The ignition switch is factory.

Now, the 12 volt starter bypass on the other hand is something i think i'm missing. The only wire going to the coil is the one from the ignition. I know there's supposed to be a bypass coming from the starter selenoid, but I don't have one connected...could this be the problem? If so, should I connect the bypass wire to the left or right prong from the starter selenoid? ANd once its connected, to I take it to the ballast resistor, or the coil itself? I know the voltage has to be decreased to preserve the coil...

Well, i had the pickup running again last night. I didn't do anything, it just fired right up. And again....right on cue this morning, no fire....

I really appreciate all the help. i know my confusion is discouraging, but I thank you greatly for helping!
460 crew
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by 460 crew »

Really does sound like it might be the igniton switch my truck was doing the same thing, only starting when it wanted. Also have you checked all your wires for loose connections even at the altenator? I basically repalced everything that was fairly new anyways and the last thing ... well go figure was that switch, then all was cured.
1970 4x4 Crewcab build and 12v cummins conversion
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=17179
flyboy2610
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by flyboy2610 »

Good luck! Let us know how it came out.
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."
Red Green

If you're going to live like there's no hell...............
you'd better be right.
http://theworldasiseeit-flyboy2610.blog ... ee-it.html
fordhombre

Post by fordhombre »

Well, i installed the new ignition switch yesterday evening, and everything was fine. Just as soon as I could get the key turned, the pickup fired right up, like normal... then came this morning...same tragedy. It turns and turns and turns, but never fires. It doesn't choke or cough or TRY to fire, just turns over...

I also tried decreasing voltage getting to the coil. No dice there either. But i did read with a multimeter that with two resistors its getting 3-4 volts, and 1 resistor gives it 6-7 volts. And that's even when it trying to start. Its the same voltage when it starting as when its just in the on position.

So i KNOW i'm getting juice there, and i know i'm getting juice to the starter cause its turning over, should I start tracing plug wires and making sure each of them is firing? Has anyone ever had a problem with the plug wire going from the coil to the distributor going bad? Could that cause it to only start in the evenings? That same wire was on the truck when i bought it in '98, and sat up with a broken cab from 2001-2006. Could that possibly be it?

If not, does anyone else have any suggestions. I can't believe it, but its just mornings that it won't start... and in texas summer, the mornings aren't cold and clammy or anything. just doesn't make sense to me.... but still, thank you guys for all your help!
fordhombre

Post by fordhombre »

Yeah, i would suspect wiring if it didn't start ALL the time, but just in the mornings???? :? My wiring is setup just like figure 1, however my red wire from the unilite distributor meets the the resistor on the OTHER side, so i might check that out and see if it makes a difference. Thanks for the help, and when this gets solved, i'll be sure to post.
fordhombre

Post by fordhombre »

well.......i feel pretty sheepish :oops:

I went and connected the + wire from the unilite to the 12 volt side of the resistor, turned the key, and it was turning, coughed a little bit, turned and cough again (hehe), then fired up!

But i'm not sold on this being the problem just yet. If it continues to crank the next couple of days, i'll feel better. but til then, i'm still wary.

Thanks everybody for helping!