Brake Light not working

Electrical and Wiring Forum Archives
DANZIG

Brake Light not working

Post by DANZIG »

I noticed my brake lights stopped working.I replaced the switch on the pedal and still no brake lights. The bulbs in the back are fine,the only thing that will light up is the turn signals.
Any Ideas?
flyboy2610
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

re: Brake Light not working

Post by flyboy2610 »

Try a different fuse. If that doesn't work, it could be the turn signal switch. Your brake lights go through the turn signal switch. It's actually the brake lights flashing on and off that ARE the turn signals.
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."
Red Green

If you're going to live like there's no hell...............
you'd better be right.
http://theworldasiseeit-flyboy2610.blog ... ee-it.html
flyboy2610
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by flyboy2610 »

First, unplug the brake light switch and make sure you have power getting to the switch. Then I would check the continuity of the brake light switch. If that all checks out, I would suspect the turn signal switch.
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."
Red Green

If you're going to live like there's no hell...............
you'd better be right.
http://theworldasiseeit-flyboy2610.blog ... ee-it.html
DANZIG

Post by DANZIG »

well the first night I messed with it I found nothing wrong so I put the dash in and the dash and back lights stayed on. My dad changed out the switch and at least that eliminated that problem, yet Im back to square one,brake light still dont work. Im gonna try that test you told me, I check the two little wire on the light switch right? how much power should be in them?
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

Post by FORDification »

To check the switch you won't be checking for voltage, you'll be checking for continuity. You'll need a multimeter capable of reading ohms. Set the multimeter to the lowest ohms setting (some only have one setting, like this one):

Touch the two probe ends together and verify that the needle on the multimeter sweeps all the way over to the far right side of the scale. Zero it in to the 'infinity' reading by using the zeroing wheel on the multimeter. Once it's zero'ed in, pull the electrical connector off the brakelight switch and put each multimeter probe on one of the switch's tabs. With the switch's plunger pushed in, like where it would normally be when the brake pedal is completely released, there should be no reading, indicating the switch is doing it's job of not allowing power through the switch when the brake pedal is up. Then do this same continutity test with the switch's plunger extended, as if the brake pedal was pushed in. The multimeter's needle should sweep all the way over to the right, indicating a completed circuit, meaning the switch is doing it's job. If the multimeter's reading stays the same regardless of which position the switch is in, then the switch is bad.
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
'67 F-100 2WD SWB ~ '69 F-100 4WD SWB w/7" chop ~ 1975 F-250 Ranger XLT Supercab Camper Special
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
-> Posting and you! <-a MUST watch for all!!
DANZIG

Post by DANZIG »

the switch checked out fine