Charging problem is driving me nuts

Electrical and Wiring Forum Archives
phoelsch

Charging problem is driving me nuts

Post by phoelsch »

My 70 f100 has a charging issue that is killing me. The new altenator that I put on is only reading 10 volts while in my truck. Bench tested at the parts store and it's getting 14 volts. Replaced voltage regulator and I'm still getting 10 volts. I checked and cleaned all of my connections. Replaced the motor to body ground. Not sure what and the heck is going on. Could I have gotten a bad voltage regulator?
Mohillbilly

Post by Mohillbilly »

That's possible, or you might have the alternator checked again, in case it blew a rectifier inside. A good local alternator repair shop can test the alt/reg together under load.
70 Custom LWB, 302-2V, 3 on tree
Leadfoot
Preferred User
Preferred User

re: Charging problem is driving me nuts

Post by Leadfoot »

likely its something to do with the old crusty field wire or the voltage reg.(like a grounding problem)
WHAT ?
bluef250
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by bluef250 »

Check alternator belt for slipping. Clean and check ground, including the battery. Check for a bad battery. Why did you install a new alternator?
rjewkes
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by rjewkes »

got the noise reducer? it looks like a longer condensor.
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt." - Mark Twain
'70 f250 4x4 Crew cab 460/C6 '72 F100 390/C6 9.8 MPG AVG. '89 Mercury Cougar LS Dual Exh. V6 . 18.9 MPG AVG. In Town.
I don't want to give em a heart-attack. That is what would happen if I answered the door in the buff. Heck it almost scares me to death when I step out of the shower and look in the mirror.~Mancar1~
fuelly.com
phoelsch

re: Charging problem is driving me nuts

Post by phoelsch »

I've narrowed it down to an wiring issue under the dash. I have checked every wire, component and ground under the hood for continuity and every thing has checked out fine. Few busted wires but I tended to them. Altenator is still bench testing at 14 volts. I replaced the altenator as my first shot gun approach to solving the issue. Original alt was probably still good.