deep cycle battery

Electrical and Wiring Forum Archives
Kurt Combs
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

deep cycle battery

Post by Kurt Combs »

My 1972 F250 had a deep cycle battery in it when I bought it. It only has one battery. Is there any reason I should change this battery for a standard one, or should I just keep the deep cycle?

Thanks, Kurt
Kurt
1972 F-250
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

re: deep cycle battery

Post by FORDification »

If it was me I'd replace it with a standard automotive battery.

From http://www.uuhome.de/william.darden/car ... ifferences
Can a deep cycle battery be used as a starting battery?

Five things to consider in using a deep cycle battery as a starting battery.

* Is it the same battery type as your OEM starting battery? This is so that your vehicle's charging system will keep it fully charged. Please see Section 7.1 for more on battery types and Section 4 for testing the State-of-Charge (SoC) of the battery.

* Will the battery produce enough current to start the engine in the coldest temperatures that you start your engine in?

* Will it fit and the battery cables connect to the correct battery posts?

* Can you afford to get stuck some cold morning until you can jump start your vehicle if it does not have the capacity to start you engine?

* Is the battery fresh and in good condition? If the battery has been sitting around for weeks or months without a charge is has probably has sulfated? If the battery has sulfated, please see Section 16.

If the answer to these questions is yes, then it will work. However, it might crank the engine slower or not last as long as a starting battery for this application, due of the high under hood temperatures and shallower discharges. There have been other examples where a wet motive deep cycle battery has lasted over ten years. Fully recharge the deep cycle battery with an external charger first and have it tested at an auto parts or battery store. If good, then try it and monitor the SoC and electrolyte levels for the the first few months for proper charging. If the State-of-Charge is continuously low, the battery is being undercharged and sulfate will gradually build up; thus, reducing the capacity of the battery and it will prematurely fail. If it is using a lot of water, then it is being overcharging and it can prematurely fail.
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
'67 F-100 2WD SWB ~ '69 F-100 4WD SWB w/7" chop ~ 1975 F-250 Ranger XLT Supercab Camper Special
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
-> Posting and you! <-a MUST watch for all!!
layedout72
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by layedout72 »

if its a yellow top, yes, if its a red top or blue top, wouldnt worry about it.
Leadfoot
Preferred User
Preferred User

re: deep cycle battery

Post by Leadfoot »

it will work but not recommended the deep cycle battery is meant for being drained and then charged up slow not for a quick drain and being charged quick

so in a automotive situation they don't seem to last long. :cry:

I would personally use it in my boat or camper though.
WHAT ?