'72 F250 fuse panel diagram

Electrical and Wiring Forum Archives
cjs_72f250

'72 F250 fuse panel diagram

Post by cjs_72f250 »

hi, it's been a while since i've posted or read the forums...it feels good to be back. anyway, does anyone have a fuse panel diagram for a '72 f250?

i found this diagram for a '69 on the site: http://www.fordification.com/images/sch ... epanel.jpg

, but i don't think it lines up exactly with my fuse panel. I have no instrument panel lights at night so I can't see how fast i'm going or what my gauges say at night.

i just picked a fuse and replaced it and sure enough now all of my gauges work again except for the gas gauge (probably the sending unit, right?) but still no dash lights. also, one of the brackets where the fuse goes doesn't seem to have power, so i think i need to clean it out and get a better connection going.

i would mainly like a reference for where each fuse goes, what it's supplying power to, and how many amps it's supposed to be.

thanks for your help, guys...and Keith, your website rocks man, keep it up.
'72 F250 Explorer Camper Special
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

re: '72 F250 fuse panel diagram

Post by FORDification »

This might sound like a dumb question, but did you try turning the headlight knob? That's what dims the dash lights....if it's turned all the way over, the dash lights are off. Also, there's a coil of wire on the front of the headlight switch, this acts as the resistor for the dimming. If that coil is ripped up or missing, which often happens, it's going to cause you problems. Here's a shot of the headlight switch in one of my parts trucks, with this problem:

The only fix for this is to replace the headlight switch. You might also consider pulling the dash panel's light bulbs and checking them, just to make sure they're good. I doubt they'd all be bad, but you never know.
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
'67 F-100 2WD SWB ~ '69 F-100 4WD SWB w/7" chop ~ 1975 F-250 Ranger XLT Supercab Camper Special
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
-> Posting and you! <-a MUST watch for all!!
cjs_72f250

Post by cjs_72f250 »

this is awesome, Keith. thanks for the reply. i can't wait to leave work so i can check this out.

your question isn't dumb, i actually haven't tried doing what you suggest (turning the knob to see if it adjusts how dim the lights are). i will try that, and i will check to see if the bulbs are bad and if the coil is damaged or missing.

btw, do you have a fuse panel diagram for the 72 f250, or is the 69 panel diagram the same? thanks; will report what i find when i get home and play with it.
cjs_72f250

Post by cjs_72f250 »

here's an update...

- i replaced all the instrument panel bulbs, and now my right turn signal indicator works again (finally!)

- i was looking at the headlight switch like you showed me in your picture, and there's a cap on top of the wiring and the coil...before i go and break it off, is there an appropriate way to pop off that cap? it's really dirty and rusty so I don't see any screws or anything thing to pull on.

- i was replacing one of the fuses and on the bottom right section (the emerg. stop, i believe) one of the four connectors popped off. is there an easy way to fix this? tweezers? that's too small a space to get my fngers in there.

i can take photos tonight if what i'm saying doesn't make sense.
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

Post by FORDification »

When you say a "cap", do you mean on top of the wiring harness connector at the light switch? Don't think I've seen that before. A picture for reference would be great.

As for the fuse issue....if one of the prongs that hold the fuse in has broken off, you're in for some work. It's not something that can be easily replaced. Off the top of my head I don't specifically recall what the backside of the fuse box looks like, but I'm pretty sure that tab is part of a longer piece that goes into the back of the fusebox where wires are soldered onto it. I think for now I'd consider fabricating an inline fuse holder, with spade connectors on each end, that you could slip onto the remaining tab on that side and one of the two on the opposite side.

I've got a bunch of wiring harnesses at the shop, I'll have to take a look at one of them and re-acquaint myself with how they're assembled.
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
'67 F-100 2WD SWB ~ '69 F-100 4WD SWB w/7" chop ~ 1975 F-250 Ranger XLT Supercab Camper Special
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
cjs_72f250

Post by cjs_72f250 »

here's an update:

- i included a picture that shows the "cap" i was referring to earlier along with what seems to be a problem. notice in the blue circle the bright orange coil? as i would turn the light switch knob, that coil would spark, smoke, and get bright orange on me like a car's cigarrete lighter.

how do i remove that "cap" if i should, and is the coil supposed to do that? my guess is no.

- on the fuse panel, a friend of mine suggested i get a new fuse panel specifically for a 72 Ford f250 from PainlessWiring.com

anyone ever heard of this or buy from them? i found this part: 12 Circuit Pick-Up Wiring Harness; w/Switches and also one w/out switches...which one should I get?

thanks
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

Post by FORDification »

That isn't a cap....that's the main body of the switch itself, it's not supposed to come apart or come off.

Your headlight switch is seriously messed up! I'd replace the whole unit ASAP! Just pull the wire harness connector off, push down on the little button on top to release the knob and pull it out, then use a large flat-tip screwdriver to unscrew the bezel retainer and remove the switch.

No, they're definitely NOT supposed to glow orange like that. That's just WILD! :eek:
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
390Nut
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by 390Nut »

Sounds like a fire waiting to happen. Like Keith said, get it fixed quick!

Mine's buggered up, in that the dimmer doesn't work. The dash lights are either on, or off, and don't turn on until the switch is turned to the point where it clicks over to turn on the dome light.

Been meaning to fix that, after reading your troubles with your switch, maybe it's time I got in there and did something about it! :eek:
Paul
`69 F100 390 4spd driver
http://www.fordification.com/galleries/ ... ?cat=10251
Dura-Spark II Conversion info at:
http://home.comcast.net/~390nut/Dura-SparkII.htm

Pipes71 did once say, "bumps and bikes.. what a great combo!" :thup:
cjs_72f250

Post by cjs_72f250 »

thanks so much. i'll get that replaced ASAP! it's a good thing i discovered it now rather than something crazy happening while on the road.

you guys always come through...thanks for helping! :clap:
68F250
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by 68F250 »

I had something similar like that happen to mine. When I first got the truck, the dash lights didn't work. You couldn't rotate the headlight switch knob either it seemed stuck. Well after turning the knob a little harder, it finally gave way. But then as I rotated it further you could see the coiled wire coming out if the switch assy. One end touched the bottom of the dash with a big spark and then the coiled wire lit up like a electric heater! :eek:
Barry

"Are you gonna make it all 220?"
"Yeah 220, 221, whatever it takes."
cjs_72f250

Post by cjs_72f250 »

i'm going to get my hands on a new headlight switch today and hopefully install it tonight after work. and i finally solved my fuel guage problem...after checking the float, sending unit, instrument panel, fuse, blah blah blah...it turned out to be a break in the wire...new wire, new connection, fuel guage went to half full.

...now, am i really at half full or do i have that 1/2 tank problem that another guy posted earlier? :lol: haha, hopefully everything is working just fine now.

thanks again, guys.