1970 F250 2wd CS Front Disc Conversion

Suspension, steering, brakes, wheels & tires

Moderator: FORDification

lloyd70cs

1970 F250 2wd CS Front Disc Conversion

Post by lloyd70cs »

Hi everyone. I am wanting to deal with my front brakes soon. I have drums all around. I picked up a front end from a 1979 F250 2wd last spring and want to swap it in. I was picking away at the 1979 stuff and noticed its single piston. I'm just using the truck for light daily use, cause old school is awesome. Any issues with this setup?
I was wondering how much stuff i need to swap over. I have everything including the i beams and links etc. I have the master cylinder and proportioning valve, the brake pedal etc. The truck i got this out of was an automatic but i'm in a manual four speed. Does that make a difference?

Also got the power steering which I thought was Saginaw but found out its the ford power steering box, got the pump, bracket, lines, gearbox.
I believe this is a straight bolt in as opposed to the Saginaw box ?

Thanks again everybody

Lloyd
lloyd70cs

Re: 1970 F250 2wd CS Front Disc Conversion

Post by lloyd70cs »

Also, if anyone has the 1979 single caliper disc brake parts diagram I could have that would be great. I can only find the diagram with the dual piston setup. Thanks.

lloyd
lloyd70cs

Re: 1970 F250 2wd CS Front Disc Conversion

Post by lloyd70cs »

I think I get the whole front end suspension and brake parts side of things. drop out ibeams and radius arms and all then mount in 79 stuff with new bushings. all new hardware where possible. new soft lines to mounting brackets. new hard lines to 79 proportioning valve and from valve to mc.

here is where I'm getting unsure. I believe I already have a disc/drum mc as the front bowl ( for rear drums?) is much smaller than the rear bowl (for front disc). i have a power booster but do i need to swap that? I have the 79 available but would imagine I need to exchange core for a new one if I were to use it.

I understand the brake pedals are not easily interchangeable from late dents to bumps. can I use my 70 pedal??