Rear drum brake dis-assembly question

Suspension, steering, brakes, wheels & tires

Moderator: FORDification

cj68f250

Rear drum brake dis-assembly question

Post by cj68f250 »

Went to do a few errands today and realized I had no brakes in the girl. She needs a lot of tlc and I was hoping to put this off a hit longer but she needs the full monte in terms of brakes. Anyway I have the shop manual and still can’t figure out how to breakdown these back brakes. Can anyone help me get started with some instruction would be helpful.
cdnwillyg
Preferred User
Preferred User

Re: Rear drum brake dis-assembly question

Post by cdnwillyg »

This caught me as well. On the 250's you will need to pull the axles out before the drum can be removed.
1968 Mercury M250 Camper Special
FE-390,570CFM 4bbl, C6 Automatic, PS, PB front disk.
Stony Plain, Alberta, Canada
:drive:Willy
cj68f250

Post by cj68f250 »

Thanks and yes I had to pull the axles first. They needed altitude persuasion but they did come out eventually.
markguiver

Post by markguiver »

After the axles are out you have to remove the spindle nuts and the lock ring between the 2 nuts. The locking ring has bend tabs that need to be bent away from the spindle nut to get the spindle nut socket on the nut. The socket is somewhere around 2 1/2 ". I have had 2 different trucks and both had a little bit different sized nut on the spindle. NAPA has a selection of the spindle nut sockets and may be able to look it up by year and get the right size for your axle. The old truck I had used a 2 7/16" socket and the truck I have now uses a 2 9/16 socket. Once the nuts are removed the hub and drum should slide off.Some persuasion may be required or the shoes may need to be adjusted in to release the drum. Hint: Stuff a rag in the hub to keep the bearing from falling out when the hub/drum comes off. Or you can reinstall some of the axle bolts and put some crisscross wire on the end of the hub. After the hub/drum is off, then you can do the new brakes. Do one side at a time so you can look at the other side if you need a reference to put it back together right. While you have it apart now would be a good time to replace the axle seal as well as the bearings. I strongly suggest that you get the right socket and follow the procedure in the manual for torqueing the spindle nuts when you put it back together. NAPA also carries the locking washers (with the bend tabs) that goes between the spindle nuts. Hope this was the info you were looking for, be careful under there.
Mark.
1975 F-250 4X4 (The Beast)
1971 Bronco Sport
cj68f250

Post by cj68f250 »

Thanks Mark. That's great information. I'll keep you guys posted with pictures soon.