how to paint calipers?

Suspension, steering, brakes, wheels & tires

Moderator: FORDification

SMH1970

how to paint calipers?

Post by SMH1970 »

Another quick question which I can't seem to find a firm answer for.

I have new calipers to install for my disc brake swap, and I'm wondering if anyone could advise on the best way to paint them. Were they originally unpainted (should I just blast them with clearcoat) or do most people paint them to give them better protection? If paint, any suggestions on type and color (and should I use primer first, or just hit them with caliper paint)?
IMG_2481.jpg
I know this is likely pretty subjective, and everyone may have a different opinion, but I'd like to do them in a way that doesn't look too tacky. I was thinking a bright color to make them stand out, but black is probably better. Everything else on my front end is black (except the shiny new rotors and the yellow shocks :) )
IMG_2484.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
- Steve
1970 F100 Sport Custom, 360 with 3 on-the-tree, No PS, no PB, no AC. Boxwood green / Wimbledon white.
Plans: power steering, power front disc brakes, clean and freshen from ground up.
sideoilerfe
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Re: how to paint calipers?

Post by sideoilerfe »

Boxwood green? Will you be able to see them through the wheels? I like dark Ford blue engine paint myself but whatever color you choose will look cool. I would clean them off first with brake cleaner as they might have oil on them already to prevent rust. I like the pictures! Looking good. :2cents:
Side oiler FE, see if you can catch me!!!

1970 F250 4x4 390/4spd
1968 F250 4X2 360/C6/No Rust!
SMH1970

Post by SMH1970 »

sideoilerfe wrote:Boxwood green? Will you be able to see them through the wheels?
sorry I was unclear - I wasn't thinking Boxwood Green, but rather another color - either bright yellow/orange or something like that, or stock (whatever color that was). Thanks for the input - guess there are endless choices.
- Steve
1970 F100 Sport Custom, 360 with 3 on-the-tree, No PS, no PB, no AC. Boxwood green / Wimbledon white.
Plans: power steering, power front disc brakes, clean and freshen from ground up.
DuckRyder

Post by DuckRyder »

I don’t think they were painted from the factory, most cars/trucks are not even now.

There are commercial caliper paint kits available... It is entirely an aesthetic choice, but I would tend toward something subdued like dark blue, silver, grey or black myself.
Robert
1972 F100 Ranger XLT (445/C6/9” 3.50 Truetrac)

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -- Jeff Cooper
Ranchero50

Post by Ranchero50 »

I did the Duplicolor red on my British Racing Green XKR and they turned out very nice. Minimal prep and can be touched up with a cue tip.
'70 F-350 CS Cummins 6BT 10klb truck 64k mile Bahama Blue

Contact me for CNC Dome Lamp Bezels and Ash Tray pulls.
eggman918
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by eggman918 »

I did the exhaust housings on the turbos for my 4BT a while back started by glass beading them to clean bare metal then warmed them in an electric roaster that i picked up at a secondhand store to ~180*-200* and applied the first coat,of VHT FLAMEPROOF paint and then followed the directions and did 3 or 4 more coats. After letting it dry completely I baked them in the roaster for 2-3 hours at 375* so the paint could cure/set, I have fount that doing this with the high temp paints makes them much more durable and longer lasting.......... :2cents:
Steve

The"Filthy Beast"- '68 F-250 Crew Cab 131"W/B 4x4 4BT compounds hx30/Wh1c,5x.012" sac injectors/ZF 5/NP203-205 /3.54 44 trutrack front/60 trutrack rear on 33's. 2nd owner

"Beauty is only skin deep....Ugly is to the bone"
It is more important to understand what you don't know than what you do know,because then you can start to learn..???
"you must deal with the attaboys and the ass chewing s with your head up and looking them in the eyes" T.J.E. aka My Dad
There are only three types of people wolves, sheepdogs, and sheep. What are you?
BobbyFord
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by BobbyFord »

I had mine zinc plated.
vossy

Post by vossy »

I had my calipers and my ibeams and dust plates powder coated... I think it was 200 dollars, and the guy sand blasted everything, and powdered the ibeams black, and the calipers red... It looks good.