Steering Column Questions (PS related)

Suspension, steering, brakes, wheels & tires

Moderator: FORDification

68_F100_Don

Steering Column Questions (PS related)

Post by 68_F100_Don »

Over the weekend I spent saturday in the junk yard pulling parts off a 1978 F150 to covert my 68 to power steering and front disc brakes. The 78 was the only old f100/f150 i could find at any of the local junk yards. Probably not the best donor but I think I got a decent price on all the parts. If I read the technical articles correctly all the parts should work fine except I have some concerns with the steering column. The steering column out of the 78 is for a manual shift on the floor. My truck has an automatic on the column. Will this steering column work or should I source another one? I know the article said the wiring was different on the late model trucks. That shouldn't be a problem. I'm just worried about the automatic vs manual. Wondering if I could Frankenstein something using parts from my existing 68 and the 78.
78 steering column.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Don
1968 F100 Ranger
basketcase0302
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: Steering Column Questions (PS related)

Post by basketcase0302 »

"68_F100_Don"]Over the weekend I spent saturday in the junk yard pulling parts off a 1978 F150 to covert my 68 to power steering and front disc brakes. The 78 was the only old f100/f150 i could find at any of the local junk yards. Probably not the best donor but I think I got a decent price on all the parts. If I read the technical articles correctly all the parts should work fine except I have some concerns with the steering column. The steering column out of the 78 is for a manual shift on the floor. My truck has an automatic on the column. Will this steering column work or should I source another one? I know the article said the wiring was different on the late model trucks. That shouldn't be a problem. I'm just worried about the automatic vs manual. Wondering if I could Frankenstein something using parts from my existing 68 and the 78.
78 steering column.jpg
:wel:
You would have to switch your shifter linkage over to a floor shifter, (as the column you got doesn't have the linkage inside it). Installing a floor shifter isn't too hard-but many here also feel it depreciates the value of your truck by doing so. The wiring on the turn signal switch in the 78' column is much different by having the emergency flasher switch built into it. It's a chore tor graft the 78' column into your trucks wiring, (not impossible-but very time consuming and a lot...of work).
It would be much easier if you could find an automatic power steering column.
Don't rule out letting someone else finding it for you, (using a local junkyard or a hotline) because they're out there-but getting harder and harder to find: :2cents:
https://www.partshotlines.com/parts/for ... olumn.html
Jeff
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=46251
SOLD-71 F-350 dually flatbed, 302 / .030 over V-8 with a "baby"C-6, B & M truckshifter, Dana70/4.11 ratio, intermittent wipers, tilt steering, full LED lighting on the flat bed, and no stereo yet (this way I can hear the rattles to diagnose)! SOLD!
Many Ford bumps / one 76' EB / and several dents through the years.
A lot of "oddball" Ford parts collected from working on them for 34 years now!
2008 Ford Escape 4 x 4