Chassis Stiffening

Suspension, steering, brakes, wheels & tires

Moderator: FORDification

EasyE

Chassis Stiffening

Post by EasyE »

I'm coming down the home stretch on my '67 F100 stepside, and after a bit of a snowball with the engine plans it looks like I'll be making ~650 hp. So that's pretty sweet, however when I was pulling the frame off the trailer when it was coming back from powder coat I realized that it is not very stiff at all in torsion....

So to all the guys who are making big power (or even those that aren't), what have you done to stiffen the chassis up to accommodate higher torque loads? Roll cage? Some kind of cross bracing?

FYI, the truck has a police interceptor crown vic front end with sway bars and an explorer 8.8 rear with 3.73s, traclok LSD, sway bars, and homemade caltracs.

Thanks, all.

-Eric
cep62
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: Chassis Stiffening

Post by cep62 »

I would think the easy ? way is to " box the frame ".
Basically , you're taking you C chanel and welding it into square tubing.
That'll stiffen it a lot with out doing a frame mounted cage. :2cents:
basketcase0302
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by basketcase0302 »

:pop:
Jeff
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=46251
SOLD-71 F-350 dually flatbed, 302 / .030 over V-8 with a "baby"C-6, B & M truckshifter, Dana70/4.11 ratio, intermittent wipers, tilt steering, full LED lighting on the flat bed, and no stereo yet (this way I can hear the rattles to diagnose)! SOLD!
Many Ford bumps / one 76' EB / and several dents through the years.
A lot of "oddball" Ford parts collected from working on them for 34 years now!
2008 Ford Escape 4 x 4
HIO Silver
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by HIO Silver »

Stiffening the side frame rails does not require that it be fully boxed... Figure for example a 16-inch boxed section, open 8-inch section then another 16-inch boxed section. Adjust lengths and gaps as necessary. Leave enough space to access the wiring harnesses and brake line tubes.

3/16th plate will add weight... I suggest cutting holes on the boxing plates and using dimple dies to flare the holes to restore the stiffness.

In terms of torsional twist.... Skip weld the OE crossmembers and then consider doing the same with fabricated tube and plate x-members.
70 F100 LB 2WD, 360FE, E-Street EFI, TKO-500, 76K original miles.. follow my rebuild: The Lo-Buck Bumpside
71 F250 LB, 2WD, 360FE, T18, PS, PB, D60 with 4.11s
73 F100 SB 4WD, 390FE, NP435, +4 on 35s

01 Ferrari 360 Spider F1
01 F150 SuperCrew Lariat 4WD
01 PT Cruiser Limited (DD)
68 Mustang
65 Mustang
BobbyFord
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by BobbyFord »

Taking the flex out of the frame will eventually lead to cracking.
EasyE

Post by EasyE »

For some reason I didn't get any notification that anyone had responded to this....

And I of course got distracted. Well the short story is the frame is already powdercoated, so I'm just going to put it together and hope for the best at this point.

Welding the OE crossmembers is a good idea; wish I'd have thought of that before powdercoating it.... Crap. If things get squirrely I'll probably just cage it, but hoping it doesn't require that.
Manny
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by Manny »

Tube crossmembers frame rail to frame rail bolted thru the rail might be your best option if she winds up funny after lots of :drive:
Just another Ford fool named Dan.
The Junk that hangs around
67' F-250 highboy Camper special cross breed currently under way
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=86706
1974 Bronco 302 3 speed
1984 bronco 302 c6 35's
1994 F350 7.3 5spd dually.
woods wrote: The rust holes in my truck were a factory install (very rare).
MadMike

Post by MadMike »

EasyE wrote: when I was pulling the frame off the trailer when it was coming back from powder coat I realized that it is not very stiff at all in torsion....
Most bare frames will be pretty flimsy. Bolt the bed and cab to the frame and that will stiffen it immensely.
Unless you plan on only drag racing this truck with slicks, I doubt you will have any frame problems.
-Michael
EasyE

Post by EasyE »

I made a square tube frame for the bed sides/floor to bolt to and that bolts to the frame in 8 places, so that should help.

Also, the cab is currently sitting on rubber isolators at all 4 corners. Should I pull those out and just bolt the cab to the frame with a big fender washer in between?
Ranchero50

Post by Ranchero50 »

No, leave the rubbers in place. Also, don't weld the cross members. The whole thing needs to flex consistently or you will create fatigue points that will crack and fail. Rivets trump welds on frames.

Even my F-350 long wheel base frame has a surprising amount of flex.
'70 F-350 CS Cummins 6BT 10klb truck 64k mile Bahama Blue

Contact me for CNC Dome Lamp Bezels and Ash Tray pulls.