Not good steering wheel ford F100

Suspension, steering, brakes, wheels & tires

Moderator: FORDification

johnny55

Not good steering wheel ford F100

Post by johnny55 »

Hello
My 1970 Ford Pickup Ford F100 does not feel good in steering wheel steering. I can pull the wheel back and forth and it does not feel safe to drive as the pickup slides left and right as I drive. I have read that I can adjust the bolt on the steering box. One should start with a half-turn, then run for a while, and if it does not feel good then adjust a half-turn. But how much can I screw the bolt? Can I destroy the steering box if I have screwed too much ?? Does anyone here get the steering well with the help of steering box adjustment. Tell me how you've done that. please
basketcase0302
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: Not good steering wheel ford F100

Post by basketcase0302 »

"johnny55"]Hello
My 1970 Ford Pickup Ford F100 does not feel good in steering wheel steering. I can pull the wheel back and forth and it does not feel safe to drive as the pickup slides left and right as I drive. I have read that I can adjust the bolt on the steering box. One should start with a half-turn, then run for a while, and if it does not feel good then adjust a half-turn. But how much can I screw the bolt? Can I destroy the steering box if I have screwed too much ?? Does anyone here get the steering well with the help of steering box adjustment. Tell me how you've done that. please
Johnny,

What your describing doing is actually tightening up the clearance / slop in the worm gears in the steering box-and yes if you tighten them too much-it will cause them to prematurely wear out the gears in the steering box quicker. Can you have someone else turn the steering wheel back and forth while you watch the shaft where it enters the steering box? This procedure should only really be done after all the other front end parts have been checked and repaired and you'll only make small adjustments at a time, (seems like I remember there being a certain torque it was to be set at-maybe someone else can chime in here on that)? Then test drive it after each adjustment. Is it manual or power steering?
Here's the power steering box exploded view where you can see the shaft.

Jeff
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=46251
SOLD-71 F-350 dually flatbed, 302 / .030 over V-8 with a "baby"C-6, B & M truckshifter, Dana70/4.11 ratio, intermittent wipers, tilt steering, full LED lighting on the flat bed, and no stereo yet (this way I can hear the rattles to diagnose)! SOLD!
Many Ford bumps / one 76' EB / and several dents through the years.
A lot of "oddball" Ford parts collected from working on them for 34 years now!
2008 Ford Escape 4 x 4
Russell J

Post by Russell J »

I did a lot of adjusting to my power steering gear box a few years ago when I first bought my truck. I turned the adjusting screw further and further until I was happy with the lack of 'play' or side to side movement in the wheel. But then I replaced the rag joint (the coupler between the steering shaft and the gear box). Installing a new rag joint made a HUGE difference in the amount of side to side movement as it decreased quite a bit. So much so that I had to unturn the screw on the gear box to loosen how tight it was prior to the replacement of my rag joint.

Long story short, make sure your rag joint doesn't need replacing before you start trying to tighten up your gear box.
johnny55

Post by johnny55 »

basketcase0302 wrote:
"johnny55"]Hello
Johnny,

What your describing doing is actually tightening up the clearance / slop in the worm gears in the steering box-and yes if you tighten them too much-it will cause them to prematurely wear out the gears in the steering box quicker. Can you have someone else turn the steering wheel back and forth while you watch the shaft where it enters the steering box? This procedure should only really be done after all the other front end parts have been checked and repaired and you'll only make small adjustments at a time, (seems like I remember there being a certain torque it was to be set at-maybe someone else can chime in here on that)? Then test drive it after each adjustment. Is it manual or power steering?

Puhhh got a little worried that you could destroy the steering gear box. But I've just screwed a half turn on the bolt. So then it's not that I can destroy it? Seems like it got a bit better in the steering wheel, but it may be education .. My pickup has power steering. But is it ok to screw the bolt one turn without destroying the steering gear box ?? It feels a bit like the wheels respond faster now when I pull the steering wheel back and forth since I've screwed a half turn on the bolt ???
I do not understand what "rag joint" is ?? I'm from Sweden and not the best in English hehe. Can you explain this?

Should you fill any kind of oil in the steering gear box? Is that what and where
johnny55

Post by johnny55 »

johnny55 wrote:
basketcase0302 wrote:
"johnny55"]Hello
Johnny,

Puhhh got a little worried that you could destroy the steering gear box. But I've just screwed a half turn on the bolt. So then it's not that I can destroy it? Seems like it got a bit better in the steering wheel, but it may be education .. My pickup has power steering. But is it ok to screw the bolt one turn without destroying the steering gear box ?? It feels a bit like the wheels respond faster now when I pull the steering wheel back and forth since I've screwed a half turn on the bolt ???
I do not understand what "rag joint" is ?? I'm from Sweden and not the best in English hehe. Can you explain this?

Should you fill any kind of oil in the steering gear box? Is that what and where
You wrote that you can look at the steering wheel axle. twist a little back and forth on the steering wheel and maybe see if there were glasses near the steerng box. Is there anything I can easily change or do I need to renovate the entire steering box?
basketcase0302
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by basketcase0302 »

Your power steering box requires no additional lubrication or oil as it gets lubrication from the power steering fluid. If tightening the adjustment on the top of the box helped good-just realize you can go too far and cause the worm gears to wear out quicker. 1/2 a turn at a time is a good way to go-then back off it you feel it starting to bind.
Here's the "rag joint" that Russel J spoke of above, (steering coupler that attaches the steering column to the power steering box), and yes they are a known cause for excessive play in the steering also. Look at part number 3A525, there is a rubber material there that wears out causing excessive play in the steering and is an part still being reproduced / manufactured.

Jeff
SOLD-71 F-350 dually flatbed, 302 / .030 over V-8 with a "baby"C-6, B & M truckshifter, Dana70/4.11 ratio, intermittent wipers, tilt steering, full LED lighting on the flat bed, and no stereo yet (this way I can hear the rattles to diagnose)! SOLD!
2008 Ford Escape 4 x 4
Russell J

Post by Russell J »

The proper term for "Rag joint" is "Steering Coupler". It is a small, rubber disc. The purpose of the Steering Coupler is to absorb vibration. Here is a picture of a new one:

https://www.macsautoparts.com/assets/ma ... -40065.jpg

In the schematic above, it is part 3A525, shown in the lower, left area.

This is a picture of a newly installed Steering Coupler:

http://image.mustangmonthly.com/f/misce ... on-too.jpg

If you feel more like you are driving a boat than a truck, replace the steering coupler.
johnny55

Post by johnny55 »

Thanks for the help.
I will try to look at this weekend if it does not get too cold. Starting to be winter here with degrees of mining ... It seems to be difficult to find that rubber that will sit on the steering rod (rob joint) Seems only to be on the net for newer models. Can I have one from any other model or car brand. Will be hard to find the one that suits my pickup.
Is there anything else I can look for that could be the problem with the steering wheel?
basketcase0302
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by basketcase0302 »

"johnny55"]Thanks for the help.
I will try to look at this weekend if it does not get too cold. Starting to be winter here with degrees of mining ... It seems to be difficult to find that rubber that will sit on the steering rod (rob joint) Seems only to be on the net for newer models. Can I have one from any other model or car brand. Will be hard to find the one that suits my pickup.
Is there anything else I can look for that could be the problem with the steering wheel?
There are many things in the front end that can cause the truck to "wander" (our older Ford trucks were always referred to as "wandering Fords". :wink:
Getting the 2nd set of eyes or hands to help you is important here. Let someone else turn the wheel back and forth while you look carefully and slowly at each part, (steering coupler / pitman arm / tie rod ends / wheel bearings). The radius arm bushings / king pin bushings can cause you vibration going down the road but doubtful it's the excess play in your steering.

Make sure to test / troubleshoot it (as suggested above) but if you need the steering coupler LMC trucks has it on Page-59 for $59.95:

http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/fb/full.aspx?Page=59
Jeff
2008 Ford Escape 4 x 4
johnny55

Post by johnny55 »

Hi. Now I've tried to gently turn the steering wheel back and forth with slow movements when the pickup stops. as it feels and looks like the wheels respond quite directly to the movements of the steering wheel. it's hard to see if rag joint is tired because it looks good when I look at it ?? Is there any easy way to see if it's tired when it's on? how can i easily change it without having to tear down everything ?? have tried to watch the web but it seems difficult. Should I order a new rag joint and try to change it anyway. has found an online from the United States to match.
basketcase0302
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by basketcase0302 »

Johnny,

You really need that 2nd person to help you diagnose the steering coupler / rag joint first-before changing it. If you can see "tired" / worn out steering coupler or rag joint and want to replace it you will need to unbolt the bracket / clamp at the firewall (engine bay) then loosen the two clamp bolts holding the coupler to the shafts. Then unbolt the steering column (inside the truck) from the dash to slide it up a few inches. This will allow you to change the steering coupler / rag joint.
I'm not sure of your transmission so I could not comment on that part. If you have an automatic transmission-you'll more than likely have to also disconnect the linkage from the shift lever on the steering column in the engine bay to allow the steering column to move enough to replace the coupler.
Jeff
2008 Ford Escape 4 x 4
johnny55

Post by johnny55 »

what do you think. I took some pictures on my rag joint tonight. sorry that the pictures are not so good but I took them when it was dark outside to have a flashlight to support light. Maybe i need to change it ... suck. do not think it looks so good. What do you think might be good to replace it. so maybe the pickup does not feel bad in the wheel.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
basketcase0302
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by basketcase0302 »

It does look to be worn and maybe enough to replace-but it should still be tested /inspected with two people.
One more area to look at is your cab mounting bushings. If the rubber cab bushings are worn out or the cab mounting areas rusted out that too will give you a lot of excess play / slop in the steering wheel as the cab shifts / moves around.
Jeff
2008 Ford Escape 4 x 4
johnny55

Post by johnny55 »

ok i will test when we are two people. but I do not really understand what are Cab mounting bushings. do you have any picture so I can understand what you mean :-) I may have to wait for rag joint until I have found the error
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by sargentrs »

The cab rests on the frame on 4 thick rubber bushings with a long bolt through them. Here's how they look without the cab mounted. The front ones are under the front corners of the cab on the "horns" sticking out from the frame. The rear ones are on the crossmember under the rear of your cab. The bottom picture is what a REALLY bad one looks like. Not mine or even from one of our trucks but gives you a good idea what to look for.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Randy
1970 F100 Sport Custom Limited LWB, 302cid, 3 on the tree. NO A/C, NO P/S, NO P/B. Currently in 1000 pcs while rebuilding. Project thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=59995 Plan: 351w, C4, LSD, pwr front disc, p/s, a/c, bucket seats, new interior and paint.
1987 F-150 XLT Lariat, 5.0/C6 auto.