Not good steering wheel ford F100

Suspension, steering, brakes, wheels & tires

Moderator: FORDification

johnny55

Re: Not good steering wheel ford F100

Post by johnny55 »

Thank you very much for the pictures. it was nice. now I understand what you mean. ;-) but how do you change these? do I take off the cabin ?? or can you change them from below? I will look under the pickup now when I get well. lies home with fever and cold. but I have decided a rag joint from Ebay today. Now I hope it's the right model. got expensive with the ship here to Sweden but it's worth it .... I hope. do you think it will be much better in the control if I change it ?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by sargentrs »

I'm sure it will help to change it. Changing the steering coupling is not difficult but they can be stubborn. You loosen the clamp from the bottom of the steering column, in the engine bay. Then you loosen the 2 bolts that bolt the steering column under the dash. I've circled these areas in the drawing below. The remove the 2 nuts that hold the steering coupling to the plate on the bottom of your steering shaft (it's the 2 nuts you see on your new coupler.) Then remove the bolt that clamps the coupler to the steering box. It's that long bolt that goes across the hole in the end of your new coupler. Use a large screwdriver, pry bar or chisel to spread the end of the clamp apart at the steering box. Then from inside the cab, pull the whole steering column in until you have enough room to remove the old coupler from the steering box, about 2 inches (50 mm). If you need more room, you can completely remove the 2 bolts that hold the steering column under the dash. Reverse the process to install.

It can be stubborn but it will come loose. Spread the clamp on the old coupler as wide as you can even you bend or break it. The wider you spread, the easier it will come off. The rubber seal boot on the end of the column gets very stiff and sticks to the column over time. Spray it with WD40 or warm soapy water to soften and loosen it up. You can stick a screwdriver up under it around the column and gently break it's grip. Be gentle and try not to tear it. When you put the new coupler on the steering box, make sure it is seated all the way down. There is a groove around the top of the shaft on the steering box. The clamping bolt slides through this groove (see arrow in bottom photo). Tighten all bolts and nuts securely.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Randy
1970 F100 Sport Custom Limited LWB, 302cid, 3 on the tree. NO A/C, NO P/S, NO P/B. Currently in 1000 pcs while rebuilding. Project thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=59995 Plan: 351w, C4, LSD, pwr front disc, p/s, a/c, bucket seats, new interior and paint.
1987 F-150 XLT Lariat, 5.0/C6 auto.
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by sargentrs »

Here's a great video I just found showing what you are doing when you turn that adjustment screw on your steering box. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDLYLDBbWNw
Randy
1970 F100 Sport Custom Limited LWB, 302cid, 3 on the tree. NO A/C, NO P/S, NO P/B. Currently in 1000 pcs while rebuilding. Project thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=59995 Plan: 351w, C4, LSD, pwr front disc, p/s, a/c, bucket seats, new interior and paint.
johnny55

Post by johnny55 »

thank you for your help. but I've probably got a little bit ... if I understand you right then..1. remove the knob. 2. Loosen 2 bolts (3791935) 3. Remove bolt (33410-s) 4. ??? that long Bolt that goes across the hole ?? Here I'm stuck. what bolt ?? Then go into the cab and pull the entire steering column 50 mm. Sixth ?? seventh ?? I know I'm a little bit hard because I do not really understand all this but I want to learn :-) :-)
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by sargentrs »

johnny55 wrote:that long Bolt that goes across the hole ?? Here I'm stuck. what bolt ??
Yes to everything else. This is the bolt I was talking about. You must remove it completely out of the steering coupler because it slides through that groove in the steering gear shaft I mentioned.
Randy
johnny55

Post by johnny55 »

sargentrs
Now I understand a bit better. thanks. ok 1. remove my steering wheel. 2. Unscrew the bolts 3791935. 3. Unscrew the bolt 33410-s (B-9) 4. Unscrew the bolt 379905 (BB.187.C) I will unscrew 2 bolts on rag joint 375799-S that are stuck in ?????? 3524. 5. Take a large screwdriver and tightly tap the opening of 3A525 rag joint. 6. Do I also have to unload 7302 and 7303 from the steering column ??? 7. Then enter the cab and pull out the entire steering column 50 mm. 8. Remove the old rag joint and put it my new rag joint. is there something that I'm going to think of here ????. steering wheel and steering box ?? 9. Put together everything in reverse order. Am I on my way now
Now there's snow here and minus degrees so there's not much work done on the pickup than :-P
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by sargentrs »

Do not remove your steering wheel. You are not disassembling the steering column so nothing comes loose except the bolts /nuts that hold the rag joint on, the clamp on the bottom of the column and the 2 bolts that hold the column to the dash.

#1. No
#2. Yes
#3. Yes
#4. No. Should be 358794-S (BB-815-AB). 379905 are the 3 bolts that hold the steering box to the frame.
#4A. Remove 2 bolts 375799-S and nuts 35672-S stuck in 3524.
#5. Yes
#6. No
#7, 8 , 9. Yes.

Before starting make sure your tires/wheels are perfectly straight ahead. Doesn't really matter where your steering wheel is in relation to your tires. You can rotate that around later. You need your steering wheel in place to pull/ push the column up and down to install the rag joint.
Randy
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

So you want to replace your rag joint. Ok no need to remove the steering wheel or steering box. Under the dash at the column are two bolts. Loosen them. On the rag joint is on bolt that hols the rag joint to the steering bow. It is a 12 point bolt. 7/16 in size I think. Remove that bolt. At the firewall inside the engine compartment is a clamp looking the going around the column and firewall bracket losses that. Then get inside the cab. Grab the steering wheel and jerk the whole column hard enough to get the rag joint to separate from the steering box. If it doesn't come completely off. I use a screwdrive to pry it up off the splines ofthe steering box. Once it is seperated. Take the two bolts out of the steering column that hold the rag joint to the column. Make sure that you got a quality rag joint. The cheap ones can tear during reinstallation. I hope i didnt miss anything. And its not mispelled.
johnny55

Post by johnny55 »

thanks for all the help. This will be something for me to bite in to spring. Now it's snowing and is -6 degrees and blowing cold. I find this to be a bit difficult, but I will try to do as you have described for me. :-D :-D I have to try to learn. Unfortunately, I have no garage so it may be when there is good weather and not cold. here in Sweden when it's winter it's cold and cold again ;-) ;-) I will ask you if I can not or understand so I can learn. Thank you for helping me. My translation may not always be so good, so be patient
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by sargentrs »

Now that's what I call winter! :doh: I would be waiting on spring thaw too. Good luck and we'll see you in the Spring. :D
Randy