IFS

Suspension, steering, brakes, wheels & tires

Moderator: FORDification

RSharpe

IFS

Post by RSharpe »

New here, if this is old question, bare with me. I have seen and helped install a Crown Vic IFS on a 72. It lowered the front too low for me. Any other IFS ideas. Are the dropped beams OK. Can you get different drops. I ask because I am a older gentleman and it would be easier for me to get in.

Second question is: Behind the 390is a manual 3spd. How hard would it be to change to a toploader 4 spd or some 5 spd?

I will hush now and let the EXPERTS talk
If life hands you a lemon, squeeze it in your moonshine :D
71PA_Highboy
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Re: IFS

Post by 71PA_Highboy »

Few experts here, but some VERY talented amateurs.

Dunno on the drop.

On the Trans if it can mate to the FE bell housing, you are good. Toploader is an easy bolt up, but shifter is the issue.

NP435/T18/19 will bolt in, need a high tunnel cover... and not for performance.

Good Luck!
Got Ford?
2 EarlyBroncos (68,69)
2 Classic Mustangs (69,70)
1 F250 4x4 (71) - OB - 360, NP435, D24, HPD60 4.10, D60,
1 94 Ranger, 2.3, 5spd
1 Lincoln Mark VIII
HIO Silver
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by HIO Silver »

A short-shaft Tremec TKO-500 from Modern Driveline will bolt right up. Talk to Bruce and he'll set you up.

A standard TKO will require $700 QuickTime bellhousing so the short-shaft is a more cost effective way to go.
70 F100 LB 2WD, 360FE, E-Street EFI, TKO-500, 76K original miles.. follow my rebuild: The Lo-Buck Bumpside
71 F250 LB, 2WD, 360FE, T18, PS, PB, D60 with 4.11s
73 F100 SB 4WD, 390FE, NP435, +4 on 35s

01 Ferrari 360 Spider F1
01 F150 SuperCrew Lariat 4WD
01 PT Cruiser Limited (DD)
68 Mustang
65 Mustang
MadMike

Post by MadMike »

If you only want to lower so it's easier to get into the truck, what about some hideaway steps?

Hide away truck steps

A lot easier than changing the front suspension.
Keep the original look and function without ruining the aesthetics. Win win.
-Michael
Canonman67
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Canonman67 »

You can also do the NV4500 5 speed with an adapter. It's easy, uses the stock linkage and even I was able to do it without help.
RSharpe

Post by RSharpe »

Appreciate the info yall.
My next questions are:
Can cutting one coil off the front springs help lower the truck without messing up alignment?
As far as the rear, can you use the longer shackle by it self?
Would this lower the truck noticeable?
If life hands you a lemon, squeeze it in your moonshine :D
MadMike

Post by MadMike »

RSharpe wrote: Can cutting one coil off the front springs help lower the truck without messing up alignment?
Any changes to the front ride height will affect camber. Problem with the Twin-I-Beam is that majority of DIY'rs and alignment shops are not equipped to properly bend the I beams to adjust for the ride height changes.
RSharpe wrote:As far as the rear, can you use the longer shackle by it self?
Ideally you would also have a shim(wedge) placed between the springs and axle. This is to maintain correct driveline alignment keeping the U joints in correct phase angle with each other. Otherwise it may develop a nasty whine or wear out U-joints. Normally when the leafs are loaded they flatten and rotate the axle housing accordingly. The wedge mimics this rotation to keep the driveline aligned.
RSharpe wrote:Would this lower the truck noticeable?
A rear shackle kit will lower the truck noticeably. It brings the truck to a more level position. P-Us tend to have a natural rake as they are built to haul. 1" drop is subtle, 2" does making getting into the cab a bit easier.
One of the aspects of lowering the rear is your hoodline, while driving, will appear to be higher. You may feel as though you are sunk down into your seat.
-Michael